Utah BDR and Lockhart Basin Anxiety

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Be Gone For Good, Apr 18, 2019.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree there is a lot of great riding in south west/central Utah and the Arizona Strip area north of the Grand Canyon. We have done several BDR type trips there. Tracks and links to more trips are here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/grand-canyon-north-loop.981366/
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. What a neat looking trail. But that would suck on a big bike, especially if you were going opposite to he direction in the video.
  3. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are definitely still going to go as far as we can. It is very exciting as we move towards our goal. This is some incredible territory.
    WoodrowBDR likes this.
  4. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    We made it to Durango today and met Blaze at MotoCafe to help us get the bikes ready. Joe is going to get his Rekluse tightened up and Kevin is going to get hand guards fitted. Unfortunately we weren’t able to finish everything today so we are camping in Durango tonight. Tomorrow we get the finished bikes and head down to Mexican Hat with the hopes of snagging a camping spot at Goosenecks State Park. It’s going to be a great day and after the ride through the Colorado mountains today, I’m only expecting incredible views.
    kojack06 and superfunkomatic like this.
  5. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love following this post. Notice you are (were) near Mexican Hat. Very close to Moki Dugway. While not real challenging as far offroading goes, it is spectacular. Hope you fit it in while you were in that area. Definitely a bucket list ride
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  6. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2317.JPG Muley Point would be another option for Mexican Hat. Fantastic views but no facilities.
    BaldKnob and Be Gone For Good like this.
  7. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like they got on the trail and then went back on the road for whatever reason to Monticello. The speed on the tracker seems very slow so hopefully everything is OK.
  8. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    @Be Gone For Good

FYI
  9. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Alright all...I hate to do this and I’ll get more out to you soon but this is today’s story...
  10. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just part of the adventure.

Good luck getting it fixed.
  11. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer. Quick search of ATs found they have a dual clutch transmission (DCT) that is somehow operated through the throttle, which to me explains why a simple fall to the right would cause it to get stuck in 1st gear. Think I'll stick with old school....hope you get it back on the road quickly so you can resume the trip.

Good luck....:)
  12. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have tried this yet?
    DCT Reset Procedure for CRF1000L DCT
    1) Warm the engine up to normal operating temperature (Engine oil temp 50-110C / 112-230F) then STOP it.
    Note: If the large “L” (extremely low oil temp indicator) or small “L” (low oil temp indicator) is displayed on the shift indicator then the engine must be warmed up further before proceeding.

With the engine warmed up and STOPPED —->

2) Turn the Ignition Switch ON (with engine stop switch in the run position) (do not start the engine) whilst at the same time holding down D on the N-D Switch. Keep holding the D switch on. The MIL will then come on. Wait until the MIL goes off and release the D switch.

3) Operate the N-D switch in the following sequence:
    Push D then release
    Push D
    Push N
    Push D
    Push N

The PCM is ready to initialise the ‘clutches learning process’ when the “D” and “S” indicators light up AND the “_” is displayed on the shift indicator AND blinks at 2 second intervals.

Note: If at any point you get the Low oil temp indicator (“L”) come on, stop the process. START the engine, warm it back up to operating temperature (so that no low oil temp indicator is displayed), STOP the engine and repeat steps 2 & 3 again.

4) Start the engine and let it idle. The “_” on the shift indicator will start blinking at 2 second intervals.
    The Clutch initialising learning process is complete when “_” “D” and “S” indicators all go off.
    STOP the engine

Note: The clutch initialisation learning process is unsuccessful if the “_” starts blinking at 0.5 sec intervals, or goes off and the “D” and “S’ symbols stay on. If so, perform the initialisation learning procedure from Step 2 again.

5) STOP the Engine
    6) Restart the Engine, Push the D switch, release and check that the “D” indicator comes on. If it does then you’re good to go!
  13. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for the help but my issue is that in the second step you are supposed to wait for the MIL to turn off. Mine never does so the process does nothing for me. I was hoping it would work when we tried it trailside. Hopefully tomorrow we’ll know more.
  14. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guessing you've jumped the connector to read any codes maybe also? ABS or other lights on, like traction control?
  15. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I don’t even know how to do that but I do have it at a shop now with the hopes that they can fix whatever ails my poor bike. Fingers crossed.
  16. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread, excellent resource thanks for sharing!
  17. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    We are back!!!

superfunkomatic and WoodrowBDR like this.
  18. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent news Chad. That is awesome, fixed before breakfast!! I'm really enjoying this post. Best of luck to you!!
  19. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    smalls78 and msteward like this.
  20. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    We rode off road today and did a ton of incredible environments. I learn gravel, mud, ruts, sand, and snow. I fell in the snow and broke the right turn signal. We eventually made it back out after turning around at The Notch. We had dinner at The Granery Bar am Day Grill. If you are in Monticello, you must come here. The burgers and apple crisp are amazing. Tonight we camp again and get ready for Lockhart tomorrow. Wish me luck.
    DCrider and WoodrowBDR like this.