Utah BDR and Lockhart Basin Anxiety

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Be Gone For Good, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  3. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
  4. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
  5. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
  6. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Umm, so I jokingly commented before watching the last video....my bad.

Dude, safe travels to you and your crew!

Let us all know an update when you can. If you need help, ask. There's lots of adv rider folks who are always willing to help.
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  7. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    We have made it out of LB thanks you Joe’s filter in the bottom of his bag. We filtered some mud water and spent the night at the top of Chicken’s Corners. When we got up we shared our last liter of water before starting out. The video will be coming shortly but thank you to everyone for their support and well wishes. We are in the clear.
    Utrider1, smalls78, DADODIRT and 3 others like this.
  8. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    Superb video.
    Thank you for sharing this.
    It is a must watch for anyone thinking they have sufficient water when riding in Utah and those contemplating Lockhart Basin.
    NB The steep steps shown in #15 video above are one set of steep steps in Lockhart Basin. There are a number of up and down steps to be traversed. The bigger bikes go slower and make less progress, hence a longer day, greater energy expended, water consumed, you get the picture.....
  9. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
  10. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    Thank you.
    You have done a fabulous job of communicating your adventure.
    Really outstanding.

NB If you have time you might want to consider the White Rim Trail (counter clockwise and 160 miles).
  11. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Liberator likes this.
  12. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mental note: buy water purifier bottle and don't forget camelbak
    Be Gone For Good and smalls78 like this.
  13. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    It has been about a week since we came off the trail to start heading home from Utah and I have a few thoughts.

First off, I am so thankful to have had this opportunity. It takes a lot to plan and execute a trip like this. There is time, money, sacrifice, education, practice, and so many other things involved. It is absolutely not lost of me how much of a privilege it is to take a trip like this and I am so thankful for it.

I know there are some of you out there that for whatever reason, can’t seem to make your trip happen. There is no way for me to push this enough but find a way to travel. It doesn’t have to be far and it doesn’t have to be difficult. It just has to be an experience that is new to you. It can be as simple as changing up your usual path to work or a friends house. It can be as dramatic as a RTW trip. It doesn’t mattter. What does matter is that you are teaching your mind and body to accept and expect new experiences. You are training yourself to ever seek new horizons and to be open to change. These are invaluable attributes to have in order to fully take in life. It sounds excessive but I can tell you the transformation is real. Start saying yes to change and new opportunities and you’ll be amazed where it leads (assuming of course that you survive Lockhart Basin).

I want to give an enormous amount of respect to the RideBDR team. Riding the UTBDR is difficult without trying to assemble a movie along the way. I thought I could excel at it but the process is brutally difficult. They did it well and continue to do so. Bravo to them and please stay tuned as I am editing the final video now for our UTBDR trip.

Joe has always said, “Its not an adventure until something goes wrong” and I have to agree to some degree. The positive is that something almost always goes wrong. Sometimes it is a small thing and sometimes it is a broken DCT while on the trail. Even that was a small, solvable problem. If you are going to undertake these type of adventures please understand a certain element of your travels are out of your control and left up to chance. The sooner you accept and embrace that fact, the more fun you can have while remaining flexible. This is particularly true when traveling with others as even the slightest disturbance can dramatically change team dynamics.

I will be working on full reviews for things like my Motoz ADV tires, the Reckless 80 system, my tent, my camera equipment, my bike, my boots...but it will take a little bit. I appreciate your patience and the help you’ve offered along the way. It was always really fun to check out what you guys wrote while we were out or catching up on sleep. This community has been incredible.

Lastly, if you have any questions or need specific I formation please feel free to ask me here or send me a message.
    jnyrav and scooterman like this.
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you learned a lot----------I've been doing this for 50 years and I still learn something on every ride. You did a great job---------------I sure loved both your attitude and your riding buddies. Things could have emotionally exploded---and maybe they did at one point---------but you guys reeled it back in and soldiered on.
    I haven't rode Lockhart since 2001--------was on a DRZ400S------------i was much younger---the trail was much easier and not so beat up-----------and it was easy for me. But I might not make it now :lol3

I think this is what the hard part you rode looked like in 2001-----easy peasy.
    [​IMG]

BigDog
  15. jnyrav

jnyrav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done and thanks for your contribution!
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is how I remember what it used to look like. I would have called it a fun/hard. And it looks like you have at least one foot down and dog paddling.
    I couldn't believe badly it had gotten torn up.
  17. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    That is pretty incredible because that looks VERY different from what I felt like the trail was when we went through. We definitely learned an awful lot but we also hit some really rough spots in there. I am so glad to have done the trip and I would do so many things differently. I would work on my packing, I would bring water EVERYWHERE, and I would relax a bit more. The next trips are in the works.