1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Utah BDR in May help

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Crotch Rocket, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Crotch Rocket

Crotch Rocket "if you get off the couch, shit happens"

Oddometer:
    A few buddies and I are trying to figure out a way to do the Utah BDR without slabbing it 500 miles back to the start. We did the AZ BDR and started in the middle of it which worked well.
    We'd like to stay toward the center of the Utah BDR and/or where we can ride a few days South, head back to center home base, then go a few days North. I understand that the Northern part is the best? most scenic?
    What would be a good home base to start from if anyone is familiar with the area?
    Thanks All !
  2. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on what kind of riding you like. The southern bit with monument valley is stunning, and full of sand. Northern bit in mountains is full of aspens, mud, rocks, and scenic views. I prefer the north.
  3. Crotch Rocket

Oddometer:
    If you had to pick a town towards the center, to start North and South loops from, that has hotels, what would it be?
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started at Coalville near the north then rode in the dirt across to Wyoming down the Colorado BDR then north back to the truck on the Utah BDR.
    If that area had the same snow year we did in the west, I doubt either route will be open before the forth of July
  5. Crotch Rocket

Oddometer:
    Ahh yes. Snow could be a factor in May. Using Colorado BDR for a loop. I like it!
  6. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So are you saying you'd ride one way from the middle and slab 250 back to the start, twice? That's OK? Can't you just look at a Gazetteer or a map program and find your way back on other lesser roads? Utah has so many roads similar to what the UBDR uses that it seems easy. We did that on the MABDR and the roads we found were better than the BDR.
    If starting somewhere in the middle, I'd just look for the spot closest it home so I wouldn't have to trailer so for, Evanston if coming in on I80, Green River if coming in on I70. I've stayed at the Green River KOA they have room to leave a truck and trailer. And not far from Arches and Canyon Lands if you'd want "drive" over to check them out too.
  7. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes, that is usually what we do. Cobdr and utbdr big 2k mile loop. Timing is key.