Utah BDR, September 8th to 14th South to North

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by thetubespoke, Sep 2, 2019.

1. thetubespoke

thetubespoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Inmates,

I'm riding the Utah BDR with my Dad starting Sunday, September 8th. We should finish on Saturday the 14th. We're driving down to Utah from Northern Colorado.

We will be camping and logistics will be interesting. My Mom is coming along as well, but taking the truck. We'll camp for two nights in Mexican Hat (arrival and after the first day), then a night in Moab. After that, we'll be on our own taking all of our gear on the bikes.

I'll be riding a 2013 Suzuki DR-Z400S. Mostly stock, but with some extra protection and a 3.9 gallon Acerbis tank. My Dad has a 2018 Yamaha WR250R that's mostly stock as well, but a bigger tank and lower gearing. And he has a seat which I'm a little jealous of.

Our first big offroad trip was the Colorado BDR in 2017: Youtube, Bitchute.

This one will also be recorded and published. We're hoping to do as many of the red routes as reasonably possible.

Hope to see some of you on the trail!
    Tuffy17 and Mr Head like this.
  2. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    do lock heart only if going from south to north . it's tough but ridable in that direction
  3. thetubespoke

thetubespoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone.

We're back, didn't finish the BDR.

Day 1 in a nutshell: Did the first 100 miles or so of dirt. I was getting really pink from the heat but felt okay, my Dad was pretty worried about the heat. We had a fairly late start and ended up cutting back to Blanding by road. Amazing, amazing scenery. Camping in Monticello was really nice, great weather there.

Day 2: We finished the whole thing (Lockhart Basin). It was extremely hot, I think my Dad and I had about 5 or 6 liters altogether, easily could have used another couple. I wasn't as pink but felt pretty sick from the heat even though I didn't look like it. We had to ration water at the end. Trail was far worse than described (I kept hearing, there's one difficult mile, rest isn't so bad). Some locals suggested it might be more washed out than normal from the rains, which may well be the case. The worst part was the heat though, my Dad and I are both heat stroke/exhaustion prone. Can't find shade hardly anywhere. I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to make it out that day. Finally did, even got to the Colorado River to cool off and drink (through a filter straw, still just as nasty as it sounds). The mosquitos were horrible, I would kill a dozen on my arm and they would be back in 10 seconds. Never seen so many mosquitos at once before. And Moab recently got some kind of mosquito yellow fever/other fever warning.

After day 2, with the mileage we realized the heat was just too much for us to handle. We found an AirBNB and stayed in Moab for the rest of the trip. Got to do the Slickrock Practice Loop a few times, I'd like to do the main loop in the future.

Moab has some pretty amazing food. We did get a couple days of good weather there. The NE facing route that follows the river is a beautiful way to get back to I-70, vs the more common route.

I like Moab a lot, would love to come back. But no way I'd do it in September.

Just want to warn everyone that Lockhart Basin is likely a lot harder than described. Maybe just because of the rains this year, maybe not. And that Utah is extremely hot, if you are sensitive to the heat like we are, you will likely have some real issues. Also keep in mind that videos don't do these trails justice, they are harder than they appear on video.

Did get a lot of footage on day 2 that we will need to edit and upload, but already got an uncut video of the practice loop. My Dad is a bit more timid than I on the terrain but he was getting better and better at it. It is extremely steep, but excellent traction.

4. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, even if you didn't finish. Hopefully you can get back at a better time (temp-wise). Thanks for sharing. Ride well. Be well.
    thetubespoke likes this.