1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Utah BMW GS thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by tylerjwhite, Feb 11, 2010.

1. tylerjwhite

tylerjwhite Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer:
    Ya it is just amazing. I should have gotten in touch with you and we could have done the trip together. We will have to plan something like that in the future. :deal Maybe Alaska. I still have that on the bucket list.
  2. srferrin

srferrin GS-Obsessed

Oddometer:
    I saw a brief blurb about RawHyde coming to BMW of SL to do a clinic. I heard it was this coming Sunday (18th), but I don't really know and cannot find better information.

Thanks.
    Shane
  3. AmuleK

AmuleK On a bike, no one asks "are we there yet?"

Oddometer:
    -Road Instruction and Adventure Ride

On Saturday, September 17th, Team RawHyde will return to offer a FREE dirt riding clinic and trail ride! RawHyde Instructors will conduct trainings on bike preparation, proper gear, and ride techniques based on the "Official" BMW Off-Road Academy curriculum. Once your dirt riding skills are solidified, we will lead you on an introductory adventure through the backcountry, traversing diverse terrain and coaching you along the way. It will be an awesome way to discover the true capabilities of you and your GS! Other bikes also welcome.

This is a beginner level training class. No special skills are required other than an open mind, and being ready to have a lot of fun!

This clinic will be 'hands-on' and focus on several key factors of Adventure riding;

1) The top mistakes made while "Adventure Riding" and how to avoid them.

2) Proper setup of the motorcycle for off-road use

3) Recommended protection, accessories, riding gear, and carry-on's when Adventure riding (and how to use them)

Clinic & Group Ride:

Lessons and drills on Adventure riding, taught 'in the dirt' by official RawHyde instructors.

Clinic Details: Date: Saturday, September 17th Time: 9:00am-4:00pm Location: BMW Motorcycles of Salt Lake

For additional details and to reserve a spot with us, please contact Jeremy Kanter jeremy@bmwtriumphsaltlake.com.

Or go to the GS Riders of BMW Salt Lake Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/GS-Riders-of-BMW-Salt-Lake/183625581689740.
  4. tylerjwhite

Oddometer:

This always happens on Guard Weekends. The Army National Guard is conducting Governors day and a lot of people will have to be there. If they put on another clinic I would love to be put on the list so that I can go. Thanks for posting it here for all of us though. :deal
  5. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    RawHyde is at BMW of Utah (90th South and I-15) Sunday. I'm signed up, call Renn. Rawhyde is taking the group out to 5 Mile Pass for the day. Should be fun. Also, is anyone planning to attend RawHyde's Adventure Challenge in Moab 9/22-25? The Adventure Challenge looks fun, has anyone participated in the past? I'm thinking of riding my 800GS...
  6. tylerjwhite

Oddometer:
    Hey I forgot to post it but that seat job was awesome that I got from Mike Harris Upholstery Service. I road almost 4,000 miles in 11 days 2 up with my wife the last week and a half and they saved my bottom bacon. Anyway I can't suggest them enough. I can PM you his number so I am not posting it here. Or you can get a hold of Bavarian Motorcycle Works in Salt Lake City and they can get you in touch with Mike.

I will post pictures and vids as I get time of my BC trip hopefully next week.

:freaky
  7. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    :ear
  8. CanadaCarrie

CanadaCarrie Carpe Diem!

Oddometer:
    Park City, UT (Formerly from Whistler, BC)
    Do you let girls in on your yammering?

... I just bought a bike (total rookie) and was out on the Alpine Loop / Guardsman Pass yesterday and loved it. Would be nice to ride with other folks who have the patience for me to build the skills for the longer dirt trips.

Thanks!
  9. tylerjwhite

Oddometer:
    Well Ya Pluric is a girl. He is an ugly girl but a girl none the less... But anyway, I am always cool with riding with people. My wife and I do lots of long rides. I do shorties around here in Orem. If you want some one to ride with deffinatly let people know here or send private messages to people and I am sure people will ride with you. Also post some pictures of your rides. We all like that. :deal Plus I would like to do another dirt trip maybe around the Great Salt Lake again or on the Pony Express trail again. I can show you some off road dirt tricks for a larger bike, that I learned in an off road course I took in Moab. Check out the Utards thread for more hard core off roaders local to here.

Thanks for posting. Ty
  10. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    This was a great time............with a Temple View..........which makes it priceless............by Utard definitions...........:huh

[​IMG]

Thanks to the folks involved............:clap

edit:
    It's been a long time since anybody called pluric out like that................and no response...........:scratch........???
  11. tylerjwhite

Oddometer:
    O I am sure it will come. That yellow 1150 looks just like mine. Awesome. It would be literally the first on in the area that I have seen like my bike. :eek1
  12. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    My GS is the FAST Black one on the left edge of that photo.....the guy riding the SLOWER Yellow GS was from Grantsville....another 2 dayer....both Sat/Sun.....very different conditions and particularly the turning course on Saturday was much more challenging.....very tight, with tacky conditions, nails all over and a few mud puddles.....5 Mile was typical for a Sunday.........except for flying objects..........Ya had ta be there to know about that.......:cry
  13. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    man, I wanted to go to that.
  14. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about heading down to Moab this weekend to check out the rawhyde clinic going on there. I'm not 100% committed at this point though, so would be up for putting together a couple people to possibly head up to the Mirror Lake / Soapstone basin general area.
    could take a big bike (slower) ride, or take a smaller bike ride, depending on the group. :ear
  15. CanyonDancer

CanyonDancer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey! I'm in that picture! I'm the "puffy" looking chick in the middle there staring at my damn cell phone...white F800, dropped it going into the braking exercise...yeah uh, I was just testing the gravity there. Sure...

I was a both-day'er as well...learned some great stuff! This is my first "off road" bike, so any learning experience is welcome. That darned flying object was pretty freakin cool...:evil

I live in the Ogden area...if any one knows of some mild to almost moderate trails up that way, please let me know!

See y'all around!
  16. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few years ago we took two KLR's and a Dr 650 on the Elephant Hill road in Canyon Lands NP. I was on the Dr 650 and had no cpmplaints at all on the performance of teh bike. My question is has anyone taken a BMW F800GS on the Elephant Hill trail? Thanks, Craig
  17. srferrin

srferrin GS-Obsessed

Oddometer:
    Hey Utah inmates,
    Anyone looking for a pretty ride for the next week or two, the Nebo Loop is about a week short of being dressed in its best colors. Next weekend is likely to be spectacular for anyone looking to take some photos or to just see the best of a Utah Fall.

I could only find time to go with my wife this weekend, and though the colors were awesome and the ride excellent, I think we were about a week early for the very best.

And to the GS riders we saw headed down the Payson side just below Beer Can Flat - Thanks for the wave!

Shane

Attached Files:

18. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:

Awesome info! It's that time of year again!
  19. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:

The Rawhyde event was a great time. Not sure who made it down, but I met a couple folks who attended the Sunday Clinic at 5 Mile Pass. Moab was a great time and place to ride the F800. I rode Hurrah Pass, Chicken Corners, Long Canyon, Gemini Bridges, Onion Creek, Kokapeli Trail and the White Rim. Tons of fun and a big shout out to Renn...he rode the White Rim on his 1150GS (the sand was fun). If I can find the time, I will post pics.
  20. mini151

mini151 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody got a spare final drive lying around? The drive on my '06 GSA with 37k just $hit its self. Brake failure light flashing and speedo erratic made me look at speed sensor. Sensor was fouled with metal. It was serviced regularly, last time in April and the bevel gear bearing made more metal than a lathe! Oil looked like silver paint when drained. Good news is I found it before it seized and killed me. BMW USA said too bad and that will be $2000.00 to replace. Cleaning and lubing a chain doesn't sound to bad now!