1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Utah BMW GS thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by tylerjwhite, Feb 11, 2010.

1. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    So after a lot of planning, I've decided on my long summer ride for this year. It's going to be from Sunday August 26 - Saturday September 1.

Exactly 2500 miles. The 2 longest days are from SLC to McCall, Idaho (500 miles) and Glacier National Park to Red Lodge, Montana. Daily mileage will be close to 501,261,301,386,473,291,287 miles.

Highlights of the ride will be Lolo Pass, Waterton Lakes Alberta, Glacier National Park, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. This will be a 100% on pavement, and I'm not camping.

If any of you guys are interested, I'd love to have a riding buddy or 3.

Here's my ride plan: http://g.co/maps/abn47
  2. tylerjwhite

tylerjwhite Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer:
    That sounds awesome. When it gets closer maybe I can at a minimum get in on the first day or two and then head back. Will see. Keep us in the loop. :deal
  3. JohnBryer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...if you haven't done Lolo Pass or Beartooth Pass, you need too. Both are some of the best rides in the country.
  4. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER Getting There!

Oddometer:
    My son is going into the Airforce in June, and we are riding west March 31st. Our plan was to ride the UTBDR but I have learned that most of the higher elevations are impassible due to snow. I would still like to ride to Kayenta, AZ where the start of the route is and work my way north on the passable portions and take the hardball on the impassible portions of the route. Ending up in Moab, we want to ride the area. We were in Moab in 2010 on a KLX250S and a Honda Rancher 350 ATV for a week. We rode the mild to moderate trails.

Leaving Saturday morning March 31st arriving from Indianapolis Indiana, in Tulsa,OK saturday evening. Leaving Tulsa Sunday morning and arriving in Kayenta,AZ Sunday evening. We are wanting to start riding north on the UTBDR if the lower state portions are passible starting Monday morning. Camping monday evening, repeat Tuesday, repeat Wednesday, repeat Thursday, and so on snaking north. Once in Moab, we are wanting to ride the area.

If anyone wants to tag along, that would be great, obviously due to the remoteness of the trails, and to help each other out of any potential situations. Two is one, one is none. More than three is a gang.
    I will be riding my '11 R1200GSA, and my son will be riding his '09 KLR650. Both fully farkled with the adventure necessaries, ATGAT, i have the K60's, the KLR has TKC-80's.

Once we are finished in Moab, we were planning on riding east to Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, and into Wisconsin trying to avoid the Peoples Republic of Chinacago and all that is communist, ending our trip back in Indy.
    If anyone is intrested, you can email me at info@urbanertslings.com.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on the best places to ride this time of year so as to not get into a serious situation, but to have a nice adventure, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Matt
  5. tylerjwhite

tylerjwhite Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer:
    Man if I were in the area I would go with you in a heart beat. This sounds like a great ride. Anything around Moab south to the four corners and over to St. George is worth your time. Including Zion and all of the national parks there.

Good luck. :deal
  6. mzjones

mzjones GratefulNow

Oddometer:
    While I can't commit quite this soon I would like to go with you if I can make the schedule work. I rode to Bannf last year and had a great week. Did you have andy thoughts of going to Jasper? I hope to be able to join you.
  7. JohnBryer

Oddometer:
    I've had a lot of thoughts about going to Banff and Jasper. It's another 600+ miles to add them in. I don't think there's time in a 1 week trip to do it unless we ride 450+ miles a day....which isn't something I really wanted to do
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  9. BigShow

BigShow Scallywag/Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Frostproof, Florida and currently Southeast Asia
    I am off tommorow (fri, sat) and wanted to ride in the direction of the Swell and or Moab, spend 1 night and return Saturday afternoon "ish"... eightohone-sixsevenone-nine11two.... Text/emal/voice it's all good. After getting past Price I would like to get in some photography and enjoy the scenery. I know it's short notice, but I was watching the wx and did not know untill now. I'm on a gsa but only running anake's, and prefer riding lite so a hotel would also be preferable. Anybody up let me know!

cheers
  10. JohnBryer

Oddometer:
    Any know if Utah-12 is clear for riding? I'm thinking about riding it down to Bryce next Saturday and camping for the night, then riding home Sunday.

Anyone want to come along?
  11. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    This thread looks dead. It shouldn't be!
    Im going riding either Thanksgiving weekend or after. Goin down south central/eastern Utah. Anyone up??
  12. JohnBryer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you Utah GS guys have experience doing the brake fluid on a 2005 R1200 with servo brakes?

The shop quoted me somewhere near $400 to do the job. That seems completely outrageous to me.
  13. vertikal

vertikal x = a

Oddometer:
    Seems high but haven't had that work done...which shop quoted? Ron at Bavarian in SLC has been pretty solid over the years ..
  14. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
  15. JohnBryer

Oddometer:
    You might be right about that. Still, $400 to bleed brakes when I haven't had a real job in almost 3 years stings a lot. I just got done doing most everything that had to be done for a service interval. I like being able to stop, so I didn't do the brake fluid. We still have the 2004 RT with servo's so it would be good to learn how to do this.