1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Utah Route Advice

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by MANXMAN, Nov 29, 2003.

1. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    On my way to the Ouray Drinking Festival, I want to spend 3-4 days seeing southern Utah. Need advice on 2 roads.

1) Can anyone tell me if the road from Escalante to a place called Hole-in-the-Rock is a good ride? Do-able on Metzelers? Worth the effort?

2) There is a loop numbered 276 which detours off of highway 95 that goes to Glen Canyon. Looks on my map to be scenic. Again, is it worthwhile?

If anyone has any pictures of these areas and personal experience of these roads, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
    Manxman
  2. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not done the Hole in the Rock trip yet either, my MTB guidebook describes it as a 4wd road, then becoming a jeep road towards the end. Closer to Escalante I think it is improved gravel.

276 is one of the must do roads in Utah, as is hwy 12 and hwy 24.
    If I had an extra day in Moab, I would do the White Rim Trail.

Bentspoke
  3. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bentspoke.

I think I'll drop the Hole in the Rock road, as what I could find on the internet didn't make it sound very good.
    Maybe add in the Burr Trail. I will ride the 276 and look into the White Trail you mentioned. Have you ridden it or just heard it was a winner? Another road that looks interesting is the one thru Valley of the Gods. Anyone have any experience with it?

Manxman
  4. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Oddometer:
    I believe they have paved some or all of the Burr trail:cry still would be worth doing though.

I have done some of the White Rim Trail on a Mountain Bike. It is a right of passage for hardcore MTB'ers to do it in one day (all 110 miles).

It is popular with the jeepers too, most any DS should be able to do it also. Some parts are remarkably smooth for a jeep road, and there are some sand washes. Most people start and end right in Canyonlands National Park, where the route crosses the main park road.

Bentspoke
  5. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    I've done them both. They are both good.
  6. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Ruskie,

Can you tell me any more about the White Rim Trail. What I can find on the internet is mostly about 4x4s doing it, not much about whats its like on a motorcycle. I'm traveling alone and would prefer to know what to expect.

Thanks for any info,
    Manxman
  7. Lucky Explorer

Lucky Explorer Traveled the world

Oddometer:
    Manxman,
    The Hole trail is a two track and not difficult on a m/c until the last few miles and even then not too bad. Loose rock and gravel-like materials. Another enjoyable route is Smokey Mountain Road (Big Water,Az.- Escalante,Ut), about 80 miles of small canyon crossings and big vistas of the high deserts.
    The White Rim is about 150 miles in a loop approach from Moab. Plenty of maps and books available in town. It is a two track also, and beautiful to travel, around Murphy's Hogback it get a little steep and rocky for about 2 miles, the most difficult section on the trail.The ride is going to take the better part of the day, take plenty of food and water. Go in on the Potash and out on the Long Canyon routes. In The Moab area you could spend weeks and never repeat the rides.
    Allen.
  8. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Oddometer:
  9. Gary

Gary Another Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    ManxMan,

Another good book that I have used for the area is "Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells, FunTreks, Inc.

It's got 50 trails from easy to killer that are rated and presented with maps and useful descriptions.

Did the White Rim on my GS in '02. Glad I had knobbies. Fair amount of sand at the end of the trail going clock wise, loose sand and shale on the descent of Hardscrabble Hill. Clockwise presents the most dramatic scenery during the first half of the ride before you reach Murphy's Hogback, just in case you wanted to turn around at that point. There is a 4 mile ride down to the CO River off of the White Rim called Lathrop Canyon. Do not take that ride unless you have knobbies. Sand, LOTS of sand.

Be sure to do Schaeffer Canyon (OK for Tourances). A right turn at the end of Potash Road instead of left to the White Rim. I like it going up, seems much more dramatic to me. Fine on Tourances.

Another nice canyon accessible from Canyonlands Park is Long Canyon. Should also be ok for Tourances.

An couple of easy rides but ones that are very red and very cool are Hurrah Pass from the south end of town (lots of Petroglyphs),
    and Onion Creek off of rt 128 which you don't want to miss anyway, from the North end of town. Another easy ride on gravel roads is the LaSalle Mountain loop.

Murphy's would take you one entire day. The rest I mentioned could all be done in another day.

You just can't go wrong in Moab, it's a beautiful area, and a complete contrast to Ouray, CO.

Have fun.

Gary
  10. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advise guys.

To much bendy pavement between home and Moab to put knobbies on the GS, so I'll just go as far as I can on the Metzelers, and turn around if I have to.

Sounds like its the Burr Trail, and (part of?) the White Rim Trail for sure and I'll start digging up what info I can on the ones you suggested Gary.

See you in Ouray
    Manxman
  11. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode Hole in the Rock on my old GS. It's a fun and beautiful trip. I whole heartedly reccomend it! Totally doable w/ Tourances.

Another great road is the one from just N. of Escalante that goes into the back of Capitol Reef Natl. park and most of the way through the park. 90% gravel and dirt, beautiful, desolate and has a ton of great places to camp along the way.
    I'll dig the maps out later and give you the road #'s.