1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Utards whos riding what

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by frog, May 22, 2008.

1. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are all ready to get out and ride, and this should get us a fix for a short time. Going to be at least 5 of us maybe 2 more if they can swing it. The weather seems to be looking pretty good for us also.

The one thing I am noticing is trying to find places to eat on a sunday evening, we are limited because we will be on foot. I think it's the comfort where staying at, any suggestion for that? I understand it can be a crap shoot also.
  2. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    the one on the north end of town? It’s like 3 blocks from Center street, there’s tons of Sunday options there, or across the street from this place, haven’t been there but looks fine:
    Antica Forma
    267 N Main St, Moab, UT 84532
    (435) 355-0167
    https://goo.gl/maps/e3eQLXukp42C1xtR7
  3. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes that one, so we have been looking. Hopefully where not to sore to walk, as this will be the first ride of this year for some of us.
  4. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    I was mountain biking in Moab last weekend. Like others have said, upper elevations still had plenty of snow. Ice/snow in shaded canyons at lower elevations. Some restaurants/stores are still closed until March. Looks like rain this weekend.
  5. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    We just did the slick rock trails, finns and things , and poison spider and golden spike, all where perfect this last weekend. couldn't have had better weather for our 1st ride this year. I think we lucked out. We did see some guys from Denver also riding around at both places, I remebered seeing the blacked out ktm.

We walked down to a place called Jax and had something to eat, was alright for us all. We didn't eat the pizza.
  6. ChinookEP

ChinookEP Verminator

Oddometer:
    this saturday, 60F in the valley. anyone headed out to Dell or Knolls? I'm thinking about getting an early start out there with my FE350
    derblauereiter likes this.
  7. BCB1080

BCB1080 Know what you don't Know

Oddometer:
    Yeah just came here to ask this? Is there any valley floor trailing to do from SLC? I want to get out on my WR250R but really haven't explored much dirt that would be fun in the valley. I've seen a few places that look good on sat image and maps, like at the south end of the Oquirrhs. Edit: Five Mile Pass area is what I was thinking.
    Could you elaborate on Dell/Knolls? I would appreciate it by potentially checking it out Friday and reporting back.
  8. axia

axia Super Schralpster

Oddometer:
    Both 5 mile pass and the Knolls would be fun on your bike. Both are a bit more "wide open" type of riding (deserty, scrubby, fun) than so glad track. Either place should be perfect to ride right now!
    BCB1080 likes this.
  9. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Delle is further west on I-80, passed Grantsville. There is a Tesoro gas station and you can ride both sides of the interstate. There are some closed areas that are WSA on the South side.

Knolls is a pay OHV area further west on I-80, on the south side, it is hemmed in by the Dugway Proving Grounds to the south, don't try to get through the fence! The area is more sand and whoops with some rocky climbs. More like a play area than lots of roads to explore.
    BCB1080 likes this.
  10. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not much riding in the salt lake valley, especially in the winter. You can take the bike up and down the firebreak road in Farmington to get your wiggles out and then go out to the spots mentioned on the weekends.
    BCB1080 likes this.
  11. ChinookEP

ChinookEP Verminator

Oddometer:
    Yep. I've found there is more challenging terrain out in Knolls. If i had a full day and a group of riders, that would be a great spot to hang. As for Five Mile, that's fine too, it's just not as easy to get to from SLC proper. Don't feel like fighting traffic on the North-South Corridor for what i'm planning as quick trip.

As I'm probably heading out solo Sat am to dial in my newish Husky, Delle is just fine for me. I'll park in the lot near the gas station off Delle exit. It's bit little closer to SLC (than Knolls) and not too much crazy trouble lurking... though I have my sights on a hill climb that gave some of us a challenge (out towards the radio tower).

If anyone wants to ride there Saturday in the warm before the storm, PM me.
    My plan is to arrive there about 10am and ride until 1pm or so.
    derblauereiter likes this.
  12. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    msteward likes this.
  14. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the Stansbury front trail. This 15+' snow drift was easy to get around though.

Where is everyone? Nobody riding or what.
  15. stumpmj

stumpmj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too busy tearing apart my bike after crashing to make a report!
  16. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200517_164433_625.jpg The Uintards
    rides2little and derblauereiter like this.
  17. stumpmj

stumpmj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured they'd be snowed in still. Where were you?
  18. rides2little

Oddometer:

Pics no worky.... Been wondering how that trail was coming along with the melt. Did you ride the whole thing?
  19. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Still tons of snow above 9,500'

[​IMG]
    axia and rides2little like this.
  20. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Mike, you still riding the same bike?