UTBDR Late May

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by charleylabri, Feb 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. charleylabri

charleylabri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any idea about UTBDR in late may?
    Ill be riding on my XR650R, and a bunch of similar bikes with me. All good riders.

Not too concerned about the cold, or the snow for that matter. Just concerned about it being passable, or are we going to be turned away by rangers or 3' of snow walls?

Id imagine it depends on the year, but curious where the hot spots are.. sounds like maybe south of bear lake and La Sal mountains?

thx
  2. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uintas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Abajo's

[​IMG]

Depends a lot on the year. These were taken late May '14 and then '15. The biggest culprits were high altitude or deep in the trees. Watch the snow reports and plan accordingly. We had no plan, so working around the snow wasn't a big deal.
  3. charleylabri

charleylabri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    doesnt look too killer. Were all on proper dirt bikes. XRRs, DRZs, etc... that doesnt look bad, just icy.
  4. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The state snowpack is well over 100% so far this year with more on the way.
  5. charleylabri

charleylabri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just checked the snow report. LOTS of snow .... looks like well be trudging this may.
  6. 75bronco

75bronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just called forestry folks in utah. Snow pack is 150-200% normal. Claimed snow drifts in some areas of 20 feet. Yikes
  7. charleylabri

charleylabri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am still 1.5 months out, but ive been seeing that snow pack.. im gonna be bringing a jacket, for sure.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you got it covered.
  9. charleylabri

charleylabri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah for sure. Maybe some extra jetboil fuel to cook my friends when we go full donner party.

But seriously.. looking at this snowfall, are we crazy to attempt this on may 18-27? I like challenges. But is this looking on the impossible side from folks who live up in these areas?
  10. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    You are going to have major trouble with snow this year in the high country. I think May is going to be a no go.
  11. charleylabri

charleylabri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    having a rough time finding WHICH areas are impassible with snow.
    For sure its,
    La Sal Pass

What other areas will be problematic?
  12. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t get too hung up on staying on the “route”. The weather will be pefect for riding the desert areas, which are the best in my opinion , and you can adjust your route to take in other areas that are rideable . There is no end to scenery in SE Utah and alot of areas up to about 7000 ft are melted off. Just be flexible and you’ll have a great trip.
    75bronco likes this.