Ute Cup 2020 - The 50th! - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by grizCP, Nov 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Just a teaser!.... We (the RMTA) want to get the hype started early to celebrate the 50th Annual Ute Cup! Without spoiling all the surprises now, let's suppose there will be some "special, one-time" rule changes for this event to make things interesting for the top riders.

What I can share right now (mostly set in stone):

Location - Embargo Creek (LaGarita, CO) - near Del Norte (Map)
    Google link of where the pit will be: https://goo.gl/maps/fU1Sc9crXRWvRSRq6
    Trials masters: Kevin and Keith Busch
    Dates: August 15th & 16th, 2020
    Registration not open yet... it will probably be capped and communicated as soon as possible. We promise it won't be as late to be communicated as last year!

The official site will be: http://rockymountaintrials.org/utecup.htm

Keep an eye on this thread and the website for additional info as soon as it becomes available after the new year.

Feel free to speculate as to what the special rules may be... :hmmmmm Old timers (no offense intended), please share more of your Ute Cup stories, etc... tell these young pups why they need to do it!
  2. mmanniko

mmanniko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first Ute Cup was when I was 12 in 1981(?) on Mt Rosa outside of Co Springs. 1st day was a struggle like I would expect but not crazy. The 2nd day was. Not a cloud in the sky to start the day went out without a jacket, just a jersey. About halfway through the first loop it started to hail, big ugly hail. I was standing under a tree freezing my ass off with Wiltz Wagner, he of course had a jacket and said something like "this is what a real trials is about". There was 8 inches of hail, the trail became impassible, at least for me. I took a shortcut back to the pits on the road, cars were stuck, we rode in the gutter. I don't remember if they cancelled or shortened the 2nd loop but I didn't go out. It was quite the experience but I rode the next year! I am sure there are others with a better memory. The Ute Cup is always an epic experience!
    motobene, DyrWolf, RDW920 and 5 others like this.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Someday I'll remember riding my first Ute Cup. Maybe I'll wait until I'm 70 to due the first one?
    DyrWolf and Brewtus like this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top ten riders at the 1974 Ute Cup. My first one, I was 14, Bernie 15 and Whaley 16. I started the same minute with Whaley and Schrieiber. Wish I would of had a pic as I was one my new Ossa, Whaley on the Montesa and of course Bernie on the Bul.
    Check out #6 Ha! Ha! :thumbup
    20180713_065746.jpg
    motobene, Huzband, DyrWolf and 5 others like this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did someone end up with a 51.2 score?
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time limits.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It must have been `98 or `99. I was probably 2/3 of the way through the first loop first day. We got to several small stream sections. I get to the end of the section and my score card was nowhere to be found. I walk the section and nothing. So I go tearing back down the trail, thinking it might be at a spot I took a break at. Just before I get to it, I go flying over the bars in a bout 4th gear. Nothing like being in a panic hauling down a steep single trap and crashing, that your brain clicks that you know the score card was on the bar when you walked the last section. So back I go to the section. Committed not to DNF a UTE Cup, I start diving in the pools of the section. Scorer calls rider, and I would dive into a pool. Next rider, Bob dives in again. This went on for at least 20 riders. Tired, wet and pissed I finally come up with my card! I still have a huge groove in my CTI2 knee brace from that crash! :ricky
  8. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first Ute Cup was 1971 which was the second Ute Cup ever. I still have the Thunderbird finishers pin. I was just and Expert an not yet a top level Master class rider. My Dad drove us all night to get us there. Mark Eggar came with us. I led the first day and Mark was 4th. So the "California guys" were doing ok. I believe that we were the first from the west coast to ride the UTE. Day 2 was a disaster. Loop markers were gone. Hikers were suspected. Myself, Mark, Jim Walt and Mike Stokes got lost. By the time we got back onto the loop a lot of time had expired. We almost timed out. With the additional time penalties Mark ended up 13th ( but lowest score on observation) he should have won. I ended up 17th (5th on observation).

Still it was a great trip. To go there with my Dad made it one of my favorite memories. To ride in the Rockies was something I'll never forget. My favorite was 1990 at Mt. Rosa. There were 20 creek sections. A perfect trial. I have ridden 10 Ute Cups over the years. All of them memorable.
  9. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Backwards on the loop? Danger ranger!:muutt
    lineaway likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember the 1990 event. I took apart my linkage on my `89 TR34 on Wednesday afternoon and the needles fell all over the floor. Thursday I gave up finding new bearings and pieced them back together. In `95 it was at Mt Rosa again, I was on a `93 Aprillia Climber. Instead of a new bike that year, I sprung for new CTI2 knee braces. No insurance, so 3 grand was a steal from my wife`s work. I had torn my right ACL at our February event and did not do surgery. So I was doing good to be at the 26th Ute Cup.

Attached Files:

11. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still have that shirt. Thought it was 96. Was the year the national was the following weekend in Cannon City. Had the 249 Fantic Section, the black and orange one...guess it was 95. That was my first UTE and just fell in love with the event and that general area of Colorado.
  12. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Between these stories, and the fun some people had this year (I heard about some toasty brakes, to say the least), it really makes me wish I was ready for a Ute Cup. Gimme another year or two, I'll see ya'll out there.
  13. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If not ready to ride then come help with running a section. Even if you are not sure about scoring you can mark the cards and get to talk to each rider. Trust me they will thank you for your time in helping. You are from the state and do not attend is close to being criminal. We drive 30 hours straight just to come enjoy the event and the general area....and the locals hospitality.
  14. heffergm

heffergm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What level are the sections? As I recall it's all one line, yes?
  15. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I'm not ruling it out, but that's a lot of driving to talk and punch cards. If my current work schedule persists, Mondays are impossible for me to take off (we work 4x10s and I cover for 3 people on Monday).

Some of the guys I regularly see at meets will probably be down there. If I can figure out a carpool, it would be a lot easier for me to commit.
  16. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Correct. One line, somewhere between NATC Clubman and Support. The difficulty comes in the top guys not making silly mistakes over the course of a LOOOONG loop trail that's at high altitude.
  17. mmanniko

mmanniko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    La Garita has the most difficult sections, the creek sections are what always decides the winner. The loop is the most awesome and challenging as well.
    Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  18. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    So it's going to be a hard one next year!
    Brewtus likes this.
  19. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    I don't have the skill set to ride but I want to be part of it. I'm checking!
  20. wheelieman14

wheelieman14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    50th UTE CUP is going to be an awesome experience. Already in the planning stages...
    Norman Foley likes this.