Ute Cup 2020 - The 50th! - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by grizCP, Nov 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screen-Type Spark Arresters as defined by Forest Service Standard 5100-1c fall into a special category. They are intended for use on small engine applications. All exhaust products must pass through the screen, which has openings of 0.023-inch or less. The effective exhaust area of the screen (total area of all screen openings) shall not be less than 200 percent of the engine exhaust port area at its smallest crosssection. Screen material shall be heat and corrosion resistant, and shall provide at least 100 hours of service life. These are originally qualified for all the positions described in the “Application Positions” section.
    Beatprojim, Yinzer Moto and grizCP like this.
  2. Beavis353

Beavis353 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See ya there. Going to be a good one.
    PAlittlematty and Yinzer Moto like this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    100 hours of service life! :imaposer I am lucky to get 20 before I need to take a torch to mine and burn the carbon off.
    jonnyc21 and grizCP like this.
  4. PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And did. We saw a handful of guys riding dual sports
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    It is always cool meeting the forest service rangers out there on the bikes. With all the trail maintenance equipment strapped to the bikes.
    PAlittlematty and Norman Foley like this.
  6. rokhopr

rokhopr 2019 TRRS 250

Oddometer:
    the forest service rangers were very cool folks...
    PAlittlematty and Yinzer Moto like this.
  7. PAlittlematty

Oddometer:
    They seemed pretty reluctant to give up their jobs though. But I wouldn’t want to either!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  8. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very much appreciate the privilege, opportunity, and volunteer work:bow of events like Ute Cup!

Been 31 years for me since my last Ute Cup. Certainly a bucket list item now and more possible living closer. Foggy memory of back then... tongue dragging over a frying air-cooled engine with disabled kick starter... leaking heater core in Fort Garland... destroyed harmonic balancer bolts in San Luis....

Years later the 2018 Colorado national. Fun overall but with too many tight sections with interrupted approaches to larger obstacles that would otherwise have been more fun. Did OK but no desire to repeat.

Ute Cup at La Garita, one of the tougher venues....

Hmm.

grixCP you said "....special, one-time" rule changes for this event to make things interesting for the top riders."
    Constraining the top riders with added rules would allow opening up the sections to be more fun for the majority. One line in all section is a big design challenge. Something has to give. Are the rule changes just thinking about top riders or allowing the sections to open up for the majority to have more fun?

Reminds me of this 1980s song:
  9. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    I was waiting for people to start speculating... :D From what was discussed at the annual steering meeting, I can confidently say that there will be no change to the honorable tradition of a single-lined event and it also won't change the difficulty level for accessibility to many "club" riders. In reality, the event won't change much for anyone who isn't competing for the win.

Keep in mind, this is rumor until the official "50th" rules are decided (by the RMTA) for the event.... but, what may be different will be the tie-breaker of who wins if there are multiple clean cards. Since it's an "anniversary" event, we are hoping to get a good turn-out of high level riders. So... let's suppose that perhaps there could criteria to break the tie that doesn't involve the riders ages, nor does it include a ride-off... :hmmmmm

Feel free to continue speculating. :ear
    Boom Boom likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    ef A, :D
  11. motobene

Oddometer:
    Thanks for addressing the issue, grizCP.

Asking about easing off set me up for 'handicap-ish' access issues. Being a gimpy coyote I fit in on that score. I was just wondering what the thinking about section design would be and I think you've answered it.

I do wonder how many top riders there are. How many would you get if nothing but top riders attended?

I'm not after isn't an easy ride. I just don't want to get repeat hammered or get into a survival fest.

I'm so far removed in time from a sampling if Ute Cups I really have no idea where I'd fit in. So I'll ask. You guys that know my skill level and Utes and La Garita, and minds behind the section design... what ya think?
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sections will not be bad, it`s the entire day that wears you out. The whole thing with the top riders are clean events and normally the Ute Cup goes by age and now the tie breaker goes back to what it was just for the select few. Last year it was Karl and Daniel. You will have more cleans than anything else. We only had one section last year that was hard, but far from dangerous.
    grizCP likes this.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I think I looped my bike on that section because it was at the end of the day and I was tired. I could have easily dog paddled but I was going for a clean. It is the length of the day and altitude that gets to me.
    grizCP and PAlittlematty like this.
  14. motobene

Oddometer:
    Aha, thank you, Line. That's what I needed to know. Easier sections and cumulative wearing out.

I remember competing in Texas in the `80s having fun racing on the loop, even at 95 degrees. TY350 in a high gear, clutching out of corners. Zoop! One older rider after another would be passed.

Now I know better.

Aerobic conditioning, altitude acclimatization, and being rested will be very important, especially for us old guys.
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  15. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    The other thing to remember and consider for the Ute Cup is bike management... carrying enough fuel, dealing with mechanical issues, etc... Probably not as big of deal with how awesome modern bikes are, but the finishing pin not only congratulates the rider, but the mechanical reliability of the machine.
  16. Heinrich63

Heinrich63 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a shirt that Kerri Brokaw was selling at the 94 event. I haven't ridden trials in 20 years but plan on training and going to this year's Ute Cup - will be a challenge. Need to find a bike because I unfortunately sold the old ones.

Attached Files:

Brewtus and grizCP like this.
  17. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    So, all classes ride the Pro line? :thumb
    grizCP and Yinzer Moto like this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was a fun weekend. I remember having a two point loop. I also remember the animals were a little wild Saturday night. Pretty sure those howls were not our little Coyote`s from home.
  19. PAlittlematty

Oddometer:
    Are there places to ride locally for the guys that are traveling? When we were out 2 years ago we rode in Howard one day and another place the second day then the event over the weekend.
  20. PAlittlematty

Oddometer:
    A bunch of crickets in here lately