V-Storm buffet fix or Windscreens..The final cut.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JiggleMcRolly, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JiggleMcRolly

JiggleMcRolly n00b

Oddometer:
    The Kyle mod for buffering windscreens..

IMG_20190107_140612.jpg

You will need a 2" hole saw! Finer the teeth th better.

IMG_20190107_140728.jpg
    This is the vent.

IMG_20190107_140642.jpg

They come 2 to a box for about 15 bux plus shipping from wicksaircraft.com. Not affiliated.

IMG_20190107_140540.jpg

It will rotate up for closed. It is rated for 120 knots so fly accordingly. It has completely stopped all buffeting for me. YMMV
    Dao1 likes this.
  2. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Im not a fluid engineer. How does it reduce buffeting? By releasing pressure or something?
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It's a Naca duct.

Givi Airflow screen fixed all my problems
    eddie bolted and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  4. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Imma get a set because they are cool
  5. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    A NACA duct is not round, but a very specific shape chosen for its low drag properties. Snap vents, originally designed to 'snap' into into round holes in side windows of light aircraft to provide controllable ventilation in summer, do not have the low drag property of NACA ducts, but work well for their intended use.

Happily, they also work well to 'vent' high pressure air from the front of motorcycle windshields to the low pressure area to the rear, thus reducing the turbulent flow around the edges which creates the infernal buffeting around the rider's helmet. Years ago I purchased a Parabellum windshield for an R80RT. Snap Vents were an option, and two were included in my shield. They did indeed reduce noise and helmet buffet when open, and I found that they worked even better when the Snap vents were removed entirely, leaving just the two, 2-inch diameter holes.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Indeed, just used that as a generic term.
    Mark has changed his shape over the years.
    https://calsci.com
    staticPort likes this.
  7. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    I have experimented with the "snap vents" quite a bit in working on my Quiet Rideā„¢ windshields. Specifically the ones that were original equipment in the Vetter Fairing screens from way back! They can help on certain applications. If you don't have much airflow coming under the screen, like where it fits against the cowl fairly tight, they can allow some high pressure air to flow from the front to behind the screen to the low pressure area. On some applications they increase turbulence by upsetting the air currents behind the screen.

Openings in the windshields are sometimes more of a trademark design than function. I have experimented with holes all over the screens. Even had openings machined to accept the Gold Wing style adjustable vents. For instance, those Gold Wing vents actually upset the airflow on BMW RT screens so much they were awful! Closed or open! But on some applications the cutout areas about 1/3 of the way up from bottom do improve the aero manners.

One thing I do know for certain. There is NO windshield that completely eliminates buffeting/turbulence!!!
  8. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having no windshield comes closer to eliminating buffeting/turbulence than having any windshield, in my experience. Comes down to a trade off between buffet/noise induced fatigue versus wind pressure induced fatigue. The elusive "perfect windshield" seems to be different for every bike/rider combination. After 50 years of experimentation I've come to prefer riding naked bikes at slower speeds. Quieter, smoother, more miles per gallon, fewer "performance awards;" what's not to like?
    RedEX and kojack06 like this.
  9. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    @DSM8 Care to comment? I know you spent a lot of time on this issue.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    On the gen 2 650, I have found Givi Airflow to adjust and control top air, Augusta side wings to break up leaky side air & a tank bag to stop air from coming in the fairing have produced a comfortable airflow bike.

I never get wind that beats on my helmet or body what so ever, if at all. It's not like my old RT but damn close.

The only place air moves around is below at my legs. I've taken the screen off completely and it's nowhere as nice even with clean air riding distances. I adjust the Givi Airflow up or down depending in conditions and it's perfect.

I doubt there is any way to improve upon my setup short of a Wing or RT.
  11. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I spent nearly 50K miles working on this problem.
    The best solution I found was a V-Screen cut down to almost nothing. It was as close to clean air as I ever got.
    Sold the bike in part due to the constant wind issues I was never able to resolve.
    Having said that I have several versions of the screens (all for the 2014 DL1K) that I modified with Naca ducts and the like.
    they are sitting in my garage.
    IF you are one of those people with buffeting issues and happen to be local to me you are welcome to try one out. They work very well for what they are esp in the winter months.
    Small screen that worked like a much larger one.

I even went so far as to fabricate windscreen eliminator plates for testing purposed removing the entire hinge mechanism as well

[​IMG]
    Dan Diego likes this.
  12. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried a few different screens and the Givi Airflow has given me the best results...it's not perfect but at least 75% better than the stock screen.

I'm happy with it...
  13. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    I am a shorter person so my arms were to short to be in as much of an upright position as I wanted, so I made some 4 inch bar risers and basically layed them straight back, this alone solved all buffing for a guy my hight. I am 5'6"
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I've posted this numerous times in the different V-Strom buffeting threads...

[​IMG]

Gustavo
    RobG. likes this.
  15. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL...I purchased one of those...in it's out of the box size I still had buffeting. I just can't bring myself to start cutting it like you did, I'm scared I'll ruin it, so it sits in the shipping box. :dunno
  16. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Rob, one of the secrets (in addition to trimming it a little) is changing the angle of attack:

[​IMG]

You can do that with some nylon spacers and longer bolts. I don't remember the exact length now, but suspect it's on the order of 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Gustavo
    RobG. likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention I removed the stock mirrors and bought Tuono mirrors (real ones not fakes). Mirrors are said to affect wind negatively around your helmet.
    That and they look sweet
  18. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have those too. They do look sweet but they are pretty useless as mirrors...

[​IMG]

Much smaller mirror area and lower than OEM, so you see much less of what's behind you. Plus, I'm not convinced they made a significant difference on air flow, as claimed by some.

The mirrors I have on the Versys are much better and don't seem to cause any air flow issues:
    [​IMG]

Gustavo
  19. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, I added some spacers and longer bolts, but still had some helmet buffeting...I'll play with it some more for warm weather riding but for now, I like having the wind protection the Givi Airflow provides for cold weather riding.
  20. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't find any copies of Charly Perethian's early Parabellum literature, but I remember that he claimed that "balance air" ducted under the windscreen kept the bubble of calm air from collapsing around the rider's head by virtue of reducing the pressure differential between the air ahead of and behind the windscreen. There was a line drawing illustrating his point. I bought one of his windscreens for my 1984 BMW R80RT on the strength of his claims and was satisfied. Shortly afterward a friend came by on his Gold Wing with the complaint that the air bubble was collapsing in his wife's face and that she was insisting that he sell the bike. We took off the screen, cut a 1/2 oval port along the bottom edge with my band saw, re-installed the screen and went for a high speed test ride with him behind me. He too was satisfied that the passenger turbulence problem was solved.

Fast forward to last year. I had installed a Laminar Lip on my 2008 DL1000's stock screen, hoping for similar results. I was disappointed but I sucked it up - until last fall when I finally sprang for a MadStad 22" shield and bracket. The gap between the bottom of the shield and the stock plastic acts just like Charly Perethian's balance air port, keeping the bubble of calmer air from collapsing on top of my helmet. I'm the dumbest bear in the woods for waiting so long to order the thing.

[​IMG]
    CopyCat likes this.