V-Storm buffet fix or Windscreens..The final cut.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JiggleMcRolly, Jan 7, 2019.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  2. williecoyote

williecoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you have suggestions for an 03 Vee?
    The buffeting is pretty bad.
    When I stand up, or bend over in a tuck, the wind quiets tremendously, but obviously, I can't ride like that for long.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's the solid screen design model.
    Madstad has a solution.
    Don't think Givi does.

You can start with add in I posted above on your current screen and then move it to the Madstad when you upgrade.

You might also find cutting some small round holes in the lower part of your screen and that top add on will be all you need. If you are going to Madstad at some point anyway you have nothing to loose.

But back to Givi.
    You can buy the adjustable screen portion only for the Airflow in the US and from EU source the brackets. Then drill those to your oem screen and make it an Airflow system.
    williecoyote likes this.
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yes, '02 and '03 are fixed screen.

Gustavo
  5. cmfireman

cmfireman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. williecoyote

williecoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will cut a hole in the shape of the Cal Sci one you posted on page 1, and order the add on piece for the top.
    If that doesn't work, I can always cut the windshield down like Gustavo's picture.
    If all else fails, then I can go the Madstad route.

Thanks for the direction.
  7. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of the Moose Racing dark tint screen, but I was having helmet buffeting with this screen and I'm 5'6" w/a 28" inseam...I even added some spacers and still had buffeting. :dunno

Glad it works for you...
  8. cmfireman

cmfireman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm quite a bit taller, and the wind hits me around the upper chest/lower neck area. Guess it's only a good solution for taller guys. Helmet selection may make a difference, I do get a lot of buffeting over 80mph with my Scorpion EXO-AT950, but I stay off the interstate if at all possible.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the advantage of the spoiler-deflector is when it is getting hot, you can redirect some for additional cooling.
  10. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    Revival time! Here is what the O.P. was questioning. Can anyone verify that this thing does not suck: Quality or effectively wise?

[​IMG]
  11. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

One solution to the buffeting on my 2006 Wee is the same solution for my 2011 Wee. If you can live with the appearance of the Madstad unit, it works. What a difference it makes to have an easily adjustable windshield that can be adapted to conditions.
    RedEX likes this.
  12. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    These are the Chinese knock-offs from Amazon & Ebay, correct? I have tried one. They seem to be effective, but don't expect much durability.

I am also in the Madstad camp, in my case for the Gen-2 DL650. YMMV
  13. Nostromdumbass

Oddometer:
    Ghost .jpg I'm sporting a MADSTAD myself. I'm trying to make my 05 as quiet as my buck naked Hypermotard. While the 1st gen V-strom has set the turbulence bar pretty high, my cohorts '13 has the more expensive brand of foil and his bike smooths the air better by far. I'm toying with the thought of tacking the amazon cheapo onto the Madstad screen.... and trying to decide whether I should expect a noticeable improvement or (more likely) disappointment.

Attached Files:

14. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Ah, might as well try it, you won't be out much if you don't like it. Ultimately, I found the improvement negligible. The most difference was at the highest adjustment, but then it was kind of up in my line of vision. I prefer to look over, rather than through a windshield. My biggest problem was that I couldn't stop fiddling with the damn thing! Ride a few miles, pull over somewhere, adjust, try it again, yada yada. :dirtdog
    So in the end I ditched it, sometimes less is more!
  15. Nostromdumbass

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean about the fiddling. The 'stad has driven me mad! I've had it at every possible combination of tip and rise and stil, that sheet flapping in the wind racket persists. I've also tried no windscreen and the stock windscreen. I may prefer the stock shield. I too find that having the screen in my line of sight is a distraction
  16. HarryOH

HarryOH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 2012 650 and I was able to eliminate buffeting and am almost in still air.

Changed mirrors to the tear drop shaped Ducati? Mirrors...eliminated 50% of buffeting.

added a parabellum tall windscreen topped with an MRA X Creen wing.... eliminated the remaining buffeting and wind hitting my on the sides/top of my helmet.

made the bike 200% more enjoyable on the highway and longer trips.
  17. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know many folks here swear by the Givi Airflow, but for me it became too turbulent above 60 mph. Yes, I tried all the combinations of settings but could never get it set up to my satisfaction.

While I have not tried the Madstad, I did pull the windshield "spoiler" off another bike I have and installed it on my stock 3rd gen Wee screen. Thus far this is the best solution I have found to date. Noise & turbulence has been noticeably reduced and even in it's most upright adjustment I can still see over it. I found it, at least for me (5'10" - 30" inseam) to be a much better solution than the Airflow. A lot cheaper too. Mine is one of the cheapo's off of eBay. I've had it for several years and it has held up just fine.

Seems like everyone has differing opinions on wind protection. In my case however, this is what has worked best for me. So far at least! 20201210_174426.jpg
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Those work to create laminar air flow.
    MRA is the original good one to buy.

If going cheap get the ebay single center mount designed one.
    RedEX likes this.
  19. Biggin’

Biggin’ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    02’ strom here. Madstad was the only solution that worked for me, I tried several different shields including trying a naca duct. 860F419A-759C-4B59-A552-AF2E1B8FA07D.jpeg
    BlueRidgeKat likes this.