V-Strom 650 Owners: Trekker 52L Top Case w/ OEM Aluminum Side Cases Clearance Question

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CodeSlow, Mar 2, 2021.

1. CodeSlow

CodeSlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you V-Strom 650 owners (specifically Gen2) run the factory aluminum Suzuki side cases on their bike along with the Givi / Kappa Trekker 52L Monokey top case?

If so, do the side case lids clear the top case when opening with all three cases attached to the bike?

If not, what top case setup do you run with the factory Suzuki aluminum / SW Motech Trax Ion side cases?

I currently have the factory side cases and am looking at options to replace my top case with something that can fit at least two full face helmets while still being able to open the side cases.

Pictures are welcomed. Thanks!

Question is also over on Stromtrooper.
  2. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Givi has a solid top case that fits 2 helmets - it's the Givi V56 Maxia 4 . Weighing in at only 12 lbs and holding a weight of 22lbs, this might be the top case you are looking for. You will need to add a monokey rack to your bike if you don't already have one, but it will be well worth it!
  3. CodeSlow

CodeSlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The biggest thing I am worried about is if the overall width of the V56 is 23.6", then would the Suzuki OEM side cases I already have be able to open while the top case is attached to the bike?

I measure about 20.5" being the max width I can run while still being able to open the side cases. However, I know the side cases sit further forward and most top cases are narrower at the bottom than their max width. There lies my predicament of fitment. Are the cases narrow enough at their base?
  4. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes, stock suzuki lids clear givi oval 52L oval cases, no probls.

[​IMG]

they even clear my 58L rectangular box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Givi e-251 mounting plate
    [​IMG]
  5. CodeSlow

CodeSlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you @Dao1
  6. CodeSlow

CodeSlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20210315_231848.jpg 20210312_222754.jpg 20210312_222807.jpg 20210312_223159.jpg
  7. CodeSlow

CodeSlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought the Kappa Trekker 52L top case off of Motostorm and the OEM side cases can open with the top box attached as seen on the pictures (albeit just barely). The top box is mounted to the factory Suzuki adventure rack with Adventuretech's Monokey kit.