v-strom 650xt enduro

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BronNowo, Jun 19, 2019.

1. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bete likes this.
  2. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Wish I had the talent to ride mine like that. :lol3
  3. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like this bike more and more, every time I see what a capable rider can do with it off tarmac
  4. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Requires talent/skill, yes.

But at some point, that kind of riding is also gonna require reaching deep into your wallet to pay the repair costs, because the DL doesn´t crash very cheap..
  5. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    but DL is a very cheap bike to buy :)

BTW personally I don't think so this kinda bike is a very good platform for extreme off-road riding but as you can see you can do it.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Flying pigs.

Adding spoke wheels does not magically transform a bike.

Suzuki is still using out dated suspension tech on ALL of the 650s. If they actually tried they could build a longer travel XTR model and do very well mid market.

They don't and keep recycling the old outdated bits and it's kinda lame at this point.

The upcoming T7 to the US and a potential new KLR might crush Suzuki in the next few year because they sat on their hands.

I know several 650 riders who plan to dumps their Stroms in a hot second when the T7 is readily available.
  7. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    LOL, spokes not but skills sure yeah.
    BTW I would never swap my new DL650xt for yamaha T7 and dl suspension is pretty good for what is meant for, very universal. Done already over 6k km on dl
    and it's almost perfect for adventure touring.
    Just because T7 has partially adjustable suspension doesn't mean it's automatically good, will be same as with new AT, people had to upgrade it.
    At least suzuki doesn't pretend these bike are meant for heavy off-road anyway....
  8. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Wannabe Adventurer and YouTuber

Oddometer:
    Love my 2014 Vstrom 1000. I was really surprised how well it did on gravel and dirt about two weeks ago riding with some ADV members in WV. I plan to get better tires and pegs but that's pretty much the extent of it. I already have a skid plate, upgraded crash bars, etc. I doubt I will dump too much more money into it. It's pretty much perfect for the riding I do, which is 80/20. I don't doubt that the bike can more than handle the amount of off-road that my limited skills would allow. I may even try to do the Mid-Atlantic BDR with it at some point before we move west.

With all that said, I plan to buy a GSA in the next couple years once my wife and I get settled out west.
  9. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. You could hear the "clunk" as it bottomed out after each jump landing. V-Strom is a very capable bike. No reason to pretend its a single track warrior. You can spend thousands making it perform better off-road, but you're better off just buying a more dirt oriented bike.
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Critical thing with the DL is its ´extended´ (higher) sports bike frame. There is no feasible way to address its most obvious shortcoming, lack of ground clearance. You raise that already tall frame, and you will need a basketball player to actually ride the thing. Lowering its seat height significantly, while having more ground clearance, means a whole new frame design. The placing of the V2 engine will also create another set of problems there.
    Also when you´re talking about serious off-road, and crashes, it is good to keep in mind, that this type of frame is very sturdy, but it cannot withstand everything. Especially if either rider footpeg, or that area in the frame, where the footpeg attaches, gets a lot of weight on it while hitting the deck, it could result in a cracked frame. It won´t be easy to fix.
    All roads, paved and unpaved, or even trails but keeping speeds moderate, and not really trashing it, not riding it like you were on a light weight off-road machine. That´s the way I´ve used my 3 DL´s, and never had a problem so far.
    Mala Suerte likes this.
  11. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    true, and the T7 edge ends there - anywhere else suzuki has edge and we should remember on adventure touring we go off-road usually no more then 20%....
  12. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    it was not suspension clunk but rider's teeth.
    Mala Suerte likes this.
  13. manleyag

manleyag n00b

Oddometer:
    As a person that has that exact bike (see profile pic), those shocks were probably dead by the time he put that bike back in the van. The thing is pretty good for thrashing a gravel road, stepping out the back and stuff like that, but if both wheels leave the ground, you have done something very wrong.
  14. manleyag

manleyag n00b

Oddometer:
    The seat already sits more than an inch lower than the Africa twin for example. I think they could get that inch into the suspension, which would make the thing much more capable off road.
  15. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don´t think the current frame design combined with the engine type, allows to make the DL a real dirt bike. The AT is a completely different design (that goes for both frame and engine). But I´m not saying the "dna" of a road bike is a bad thing on the DL, at all. There will never be a machine, that is perfect for on-road and off-road, it is always a compromise, and I think the DL´s placing on that spectrum – more on than off road – is actually quite perfect for many. You can ride around this planet without needing _REAL_ off-road capability these days. But some is always good to have.
  16. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    i've gone the ghetto route of raising the rear, and installing dl1000 forks. The rake of the bike steepened up quite a bit. Yes I gained clearance, but it was a twitchy bastard to ride.
    A good way to upgrade the 650 is with xr400 forks, and a custom shock. Both the guys we ride with have them on their stroms, makes it for a very capable bike.
    [​IMG]
  17. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have felt comfortable riding like that on my old farkled KLR... but my XT? I would have dumped it in an hour easily lol.
  18. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never understand the desire to take the Vstrom offroad. Sure, my 1000 does pretty decent on fire roads. But I have replaced the front header pipe twice and had to epoxy the bottom of the case once when I g'ed out on a boulder. And that was from mild dirt roads and relatively slow speeds I eventually added a skid plate, but it's bashed up now. None of this damage is from trying to ride the Strom like a dirt bike.

I have a motocross racing background. I suspect I could have kept up with the guy in the video, but who wants to on this bike? A Yamaha T7 or maybe a KTM would be a better choice if you want to go offroad, but have decent road manners for a day of touring
    kojack06 likes this.
  19. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    T7 also has more power, and the ABS is switchable.

The DL can be made considerably better for exploring/playing in the dirt...with DOT knobs, a skid, real handguards, lightening (ala Thinstrom), upgraded suspension, gearing adjustment, raised front fender, pivoting bar-risers, dirt pegs, sidecovers, a switch for the ABS, etc.
  20. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    more power? technically suzuki V twin is stronger with 75 hp but was detuned to ~70+ hp to get better low down torque so practically power is the same as yamaha T7 which has 72hp.
    Torque is a bit better om Suzuki though. Both bike have not enough torque IMO for real off-road riding anyway.

I agree you can make both bikes more dirt worthy but for me they're just sport touring, and when we talk about touring dl650 beats yamaha in every department.