V-strom alternative pegs

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dooby, Feb 16, 2008.

1. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com

Oddometer:
    Need some help with optional pegs for my V-strom :bow .

I fractured my left pattela two years ago in a bike accident. The knee kinda healed, with lot's of excercise and therapy, but the problem with rides over 500 km/day is still present.

I need some optional pegs if any of you tried some, that position my foot a few cm lower than original set-up. This will allow my knee to be more relaxed and less prone to hurt as hell after long rides when travelling for 2 weeks.
    I'm looking for enduro type pegs like the ones mentioned here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305103 . that give more foot support and offer better grip in wet or when the road is slippy.

Pegs from this thread don't lower riders foot so these aren't an option(thanks for your help Kawidad & dcwn.45 :thumb ), but I'm sure somebody have an idea that will help me with my problem :pissed .

Thanks for your help in advance :thumb
  2. Justin

Justin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Brandon

Brandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a set of Buel Uly pegs off a guy on AdvRider and tried them. They lowered the peg about an inch, but I didn't like the way they moved my foot out away from the frame so I took them off. I am now adapting them onto the stock foot peg base, removing the rubber top and installing the cut up pegs into the place occupied by the rubber. That won't help you though since it will raise the peg about 1/4" from stock. If you don't mind them being wider from the center of the bike they can be bought pretty cheap. I paid only $15.00 for mine. I hear new ones are only $35.00 or so.
  5. dooby

Oddometer:
    Thank You for your answers :thumb

2 Justin & ram1000: Really don't like the shape of the Ully pegs and they are more/less the same as the original, and doesn't offer more grip the original.

That adapter from motorcyclellary looks nice and is an option, but really don't like more moving parts and more screws than needed.
    The fastaways(thanks Brandon) are for my pocket expensive and must count in the delivery costs for overseas transport :doh , but if I couldn' find some other option then I'l have to tak them.

Come on give some more options I'm sure there are some more ideas :lurk
  6. Justin

Justin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried raising your seat maybe...?
  7. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    While you may not like the grip of the Uly pegs they are significantly different than the stock rubber pegs. Note:

[​IMG]
  8. FlyNavy

FlyNavy 2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer:
    Ram1000,
    Plz show us pics of your lift/work stand. Looks like a nice set up?
    John
  9. dooby

Oddometer:
    2 Justin I think I will fond alternative pegs much easier than to make more padding to my seat, but not a bad idea.

2 ram1000 Thanks for the pics, I've already looked previously some pics of Uly pegs on Strom before, but would really like some enduro type to give more grip when wet or greasy
    The sollution as for now is to mount the lowering links and to buy some dr/klr pegs to complete the set up, will see :clap
  10. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's just 1x12's screwed together and bolted to the floor. I use my MC ramp to bring the bike up on top.

[​IMG]
  11. WestRider

WestRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have two sets... new ones I put on my Strom...you're right they're not cheap. the second set I bought off this site's Flea Market for $40 or so used. Keep your eyes out...they do come up occasionally. The second set I modified to fit on my old XL500s...They're great on both bikes and I've got them in the low position as I'm a bit long legged.

Good Luck!!

12. dooby

Oddometer:
    Hi WestRider, thanks for the contribution, but one thing is bothering me:

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...l650_hand_cont

in this link look at the small print at the bottom of the picture:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Fastway is no longer recommending these for fitment on the DL1000 :D [/SIZE][/FONT]
  13. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Possible solutions, other than footpegs, are 1) try a DL1000 seat which is at least 1" taller than the DL650, 2) try the Suzuki Gel Seat for the DL650/DL1000 which is another 1/2 inch taller than the DL1000 seat and moves the rear bucket back another inch from stock. This will allow more movement and change of leg position. Of course, this assumes you have enough leg length to allow the use of the taller seats. 3) try a seat pad such as the Air Hawk. Good luck.
  14. WestRider

WestRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called the PMB guys in Idaho and tried to get them to send me a VStrom specific set of collars...just to rock the boat you see...and they told me that they didn't have any to fit and I was on my own if I wanted to make them work. Same answer on fitting them to my old XL500s...no surprise there. I think they don't want the responsibility of accepting that people are modding the existing installation hardware for other bikes to make them fit on the Stroms. You have to grind the collar just a bit to get it to fit lenthwise. No big deal really. I would put another set on if needed...I like them. Next time I stop in the Adventure Moto shop I'll ask them what the deal is. I get in there a couple of times per year when I'm in Carson City.

15. dooby

Oddometer:
    Thanks jwdub for your help, but I like stock seat as it is, and wouldn't like to change it, and honestly the cost of these options is pretty high if you ask me.

I have quite long legs so it seems to me that the fastways are the option with the most chance to help me with the knee pain. They do lower rider's foor like 3/4" as I've read on this and some other forums.
    Here it goes: I have ordered some shorter dog bones for my V-strom, which will move up the back of the bike a few cm in the air(I'll bring up the front as well). Also I've ordered progressive springs for front and rear of the bike from Hyperpro. This will help me with the hight of the bike when it's fully loaded, and would like to ad fastways to round up tho whole thing, to give my knee some more space.

2 westrider: The collar as You've said must be grinded to fit the pegs. But the poor production and aftermarket asistance is not the way things should work. Someone said it's an option for somebody willing tho jump in to produce similar product but with better execution and better aftermarket asistance.
    When you pass by Adventure moto shop, please ask them what's the deal.
    I'll order one pair of fastways from them, because they seems have a great reputation among riders, and the Fastway pegs as You've said are a great product. Only if the collar dimensions will fit the bike in plug and play kinda way not in plug and pray or grind should I say :lol3
  16. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    Send a PM to CoolClimber he made me these brakets. They lower the pegs and controls 1" without any for or aft change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. dooby

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian thanks for the info and the pics :thumb .

How much does the bracket lower your foot from the initial position?
    I'll pm CoolClimber but I'm in Europe so will see about that :D
  18. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    25mm lower. There is someone selling a similar bracket in the UK I think. I stumbled onto in in the VSRI forum.
  19. dooby

Oddometer:
    Thanks will look on VRSI abiut the bracket
  20. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    I finally took a picture of my Fastways mounted on the bike.
    I bought them over a year ago and I did have to grind the collar to make them fit, wasn't too difficult.

Way better than stock, the only bad thing is after you ride with them you think you must have them on all your bikes.:bluduh
    now I have to get a set for the DR650.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]