V-Strom Dealer Mode

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Jamie Z, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a little trouble with my bike a couple days ago and eventually diagnosed and fixed it by using "Dealer Mode," which I'd never heard of previously, and I do a lot of reading about the V-Strom. In addition, it took me a fair amount of Google searches to finally get it all straight. I thought I'd try to post a more complete description, all in one place.

This post is specific to the 650, so it may or may not apply to the 1000.

A little back-story. I checked the valves on my bike. Upon putting the engine back together I attempted to start it. The ignition turned on fine, fuel pump pressurized, it cranked over fine, but no start. I also noticed that the red LED on the dash blinked, and where the clock is read "FI," which I mistakenly took to mean 'fuel injection' at the time. I think what it really stands for is "Fault Indicator."

The service manual has a list of codes on page 9-2, but none of them are "FI." They consist of the letter C followed by a number, but there's no explanation how to find out the code from the bike.

You have to put the bike into Dealer Mode. But how to do that?

Take the seat off the bike. Between the battery and the left side of the bike, under some other electrical component you might see a white connector with a rubber cap.

[​IMG]

You can just see it in the picture above. (Would someone be kind enough to edit this picture to put a circle around the part?)

It's a real pain to access, but you should be able to get it free enough to access to end of the connector. It's a six-pin connector, but it only holds four wires. Don't ask me what any of the wires are.

[​IMG]

To put it in dealer mode, you want to put a jumper between the two left-most wires shown in the pic above. They're the only two wires which are in the same row.

Once in dealer mode, the dash will display the fault code when a fault occurs. In my case, the fault only happened when I tried to start it. Once I had the right code, I was able to pin-point the problem and fix it within a few minutes. It turns out that I'd accidentally pulled a connector apart behind the frame. Without the fault code, I would have looked for the trouble spot for a very long time.

Hope this helps someone. Or if you have a better description, feel free to add to what I said.

Jamie
  2. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this what you mean:

[​IMG]
  3. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Hey Mann, that's exactly what I mean, though I should have been more specific. Your aim is a bit off.

If you look just above your arrow, you'll see a little bit of the white plug; you can see a couple of the red and black wires coming out of the back. That's the plug shown in the detail.

Great work!

Jamie
  4. G-Dog

G-Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent info Jamie. I found out that I could do the same thing on my girlfriend's Accord, but unfortunately only after I sprung for a OBDII reader. At least on the Strom they give you the straight code rather than the flashing lights I would have gotten on the Honda.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rotating the main picture 180 degrees would help so that when the story talks about the left the plug in question is also on the left in the picture (don't say it's obvious before you think about how many people you know who can't read a map :D)

Great find, I'm going to bookmark this.
  6. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you mean here:

Attached Files:

7. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    The Versys also has this. The plug is where the dealer plugs the computer into for diagnostics. Using the jumper sends the fault code to the display on the bike so you can do field repairs. With the Versys, you count the flashes of the FI light.
  8. Gonzodog

Gonzodog Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent :clap :clap :clap

Thanks for posting!

I sure could have used that info about 3 years ago.
  9. JRW

JRW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C00 No error
    C11 Camshaft Position Sensor (CMPS) - 1000 Only
    C12 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS)
    C13 Intake Air Pressure Sensor (IAPS)
    C14 Throttle Position Sensor
    C15 Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (ECTS)
    C17 Intake Air Pressure Sensor (IAPS) - 07 & Up 650 Only
    C21 Intake Air Temp. Sensor (IATS)
    C22 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor (APS) - 1000 Only
    C23 Tip Over Sensor (TOS)
    C24 Ignition Signal #1 (Front Coil)
    C25 Ignition Signal #2 (Rear Coil)
    C28 Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator (STVA)
    C29 Secondary Throttle Position Sensor (STPS)
    C31 Gear Position Sensor (GPS)
    C32 Injector Signal #1 ( Front)
    C33 Injector Signal #2 (Rear)
    C40 ISC Valve - 07 & Up 650 Only
    C41 Fuel Pump Control System (Fuel Pump Relay)
    C42 Ignition Switch Signal (Anti-Theft)
    C44 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)
    C49 PAIR Control Solenoid Valve

See also this post HERE
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you couldn't find this on any of the V-Strom forums. Suzuki makes a cheap and very useful Dealer Mode Select switch that is useful to have if you like to do your own work. I've had one for my V-Strom since 2002, I think I paid less than $10 from my local dealer back then. Older Suzuki models (like the original DL1000, <'04) use a different Dealer Mode Select switch.

The part number and location of connector can be found on page 4-24 of the DL1000 manual or on page 4-15 of the DL650 manual, right where the Dealer Mode section of the FI System Diagnostics starts. The codes are listed on the following page.

Gustavo
    REALGRAVEROBBER likes this.
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    That's a great post, thanks! It didn't come up when I was trying to find more information about Dealer Mode. I wish it had.

Wow! You're right. I looked and looked and didn't find anything in the manual about Dealer Mode, except for the list of codes on 9-2. The book has no index, for some reason.

Thanks for the additional information. When I had the trouble, I started Googling for information to help me fix it. When I searched, none of the information I found was very clear, nor was it all in one place, so I thought I should document it myself in order that other people don't have so much trouble. I'm a bit chagrined to learn that not only does the service manual have the information I was looking for, but that a very detailed description of Dealer Mode is listed on a website where I am a member. I couldn't find any of that information when my bike wouldn't start. :shog

Exactly.

Thanks all,

Jamie
  12. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Here's a twist. On my 07 DL650 ABS, the dealer mode plug is under the right rear gas tank strut.

[​IMG]
  13. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT!

This is exactly what I need to diagnose my intermittent FI warning light issue.

Plus there is a list of error codes in the same thread. BONUS!

Many praises to ADVRider and the collective wisdom of, well, the Collective.
  14. simmersonwheels

simmersonwheels Asleep at Switch

Oddometer:
    The dealer mode also brings up a indicator to set the TPS to the closed throttle position. There is no problem riding in delaer mode to read an intermittant issue.
    If you have a lit fi light and "FI" indicated on the dash, then there is a code that can be read through the dash. If hte light is not on, there is no code present. (C00)
    An intermittant code,(i e, the light flickered yesterday on your ride) can still be pulled if your dealer has the SDS system, which interfaces a laptop through the same port. The code is not erased if the battery is disconnected. Old codes can only be cleared through the laptop. The SDS does many other things, including giving rudimentary info before and after the failure, ie RPM. Also you can read, store and graph all parameters of the unit running, including thing like gear position, RPM temp,throttle and secondary throttle position, etc, etc.
    The SDS kit is available as a part, but it costs about $800 or so. It works on virtually all Suzuki FI since about 2000.
    It's a cool system, you can even ride with the computer in your pack t duplicate issues.
    Hope that's helpful,
    Simon
  15. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    Good thread:clap

Hope y'all don't mind me linking it to this one...
  16. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Allow me to digress slightly, into some whistful Wee reflections...

Reading the fault codes section of the manual (for the 650, anyway) it's amazing how many failures the engine can tolerate and still run, including on one cylinder if there's a fuelling or injection fault with the other. This isn't always true with modern multi-cylinder engines, and ought to give the Collective a big warm sense of reliability next time they fuel up from some hand-poured carton somewhere exotic.
  17. Uncle Larry

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's more good stuff.
  18. Uncle Larry

Oddometer:
    Update -

I received that dealer switch thingee...

I had to pull out the plug from under the seat (port side)....

But it works!

Now, I have to load up the Strom and ride until the pesky, intermittent FI light comes on so I can diagnose the problem.
  19. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    What's the dealer switch thingee? Is that the device described above which connects the bike to a laptop?

Jamie
  20. Uncle Larry

Oddometer:
    No, it just plugs in to the dealer diagnostic plug and has a toggle switch. When the dashboard light comes on with and FI error, flip the switch and the code is displayed in lieu of the clock.

This did happen last month on my Wee and the error code indicated a Gear Position Sensor fault.

But the motorcycle guys I talked to have no idea about that. And there is little on the Internet.

Oh well.