V-Strom hi fender (beak) all mounted up!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Gravehunter, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Gravehunter

Gravehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good! I think they should have come this way from Suzuki!
  2. J2Jonner

J2Jonner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me what size the square u-bolts were you used? I'm thinking about locating some in stainless and don't have the fender to measure the hole centers. That fender looks great!

Cheers!
  3. DINOSORE

DINOSORE Still around

Oddometer:
    I am not very mechanically inclined, but it would appear that the ABS model may pose more fit issues than non-ABS. Here is the underside of my clamps:

[​IMG]
  4. narrowpath

narrowpath Narrowpath

Oddometer:
    Okay guys I am still having problems getting this computer to load photos. Thanks to a buddy he was able to get a few pics up and running from his. We just got back from a six day ride along the oregon coast and northern CA. Can you say Hot and Smoky!

To answer an earlier post I used two three inch square U bolts (three inches between the threaded studs), but any size close to that would work as long as they will fit over the lower aluminum triple tree clamps. I used the second set of same size U bolts to weld to my plate which I mounted the fender on to. I have now put over 1300 miles on the fender at speeds up to 100mph and in heat up to 108 degrees with no effect on its handling or temp. I have observed the front tip of the fender wigling some at higher speeds, but then its a plastic fender, what can you expect.

I had never seen the ABS version set up like the prior post. I don't know if that extra stuff is removable?? Mine does not have that so it was easy to make a plate that sucked up where the brake line stuff is sitting. If it's not critical type stuff and just a crossover line then get rid of it and get some braided lines on there. I'm not to familar with the whole ABS thing so I guess I would be asking some questions before I started tearing things off.
  5. DINOSORE

DINOSORE Still around

Oddometer:
    i am pretty sure the entire assembly can be taken off with the bolt you see in the middle of the clamps removed. I am hoping that I can take the unit off with the lines intact, attach a plate and then put it back on without interfering with the fender. Maybe I am dreaming .. I have a couple buddies that built their own airplanes, and I am hoping that their knowledge will come in handy with regards to fabrication. For my fellow ABS riders, this is NOT going to be a "penny tech" modification. I think new braided lines are going to be a must as well. DAMMIT!!

6. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    particularly for that ABS model, i'll again reiterate an earlier comment: stock fenders that have been dinged etc sell on Ebay for not too much. with that in mind, I'd consider cutting down the stocker to just basically a "scrape" over the tire, then go ahead and mount a high fender as others have done,with a fork brace or hanger. the way the brake components fit together with the stock fender is pretty secure.... its a lotta work to ditch that and recreate all your mounts etc
  7. DINOSORE

DINOSORE Still around

Oddometer:
    Agreed .. not much fun at all VS. what the non-ABS dudes get away with on this mod. It's gonna take some doing, but i am still going to try and eliminate the stock fender all together. My fender should be here this week. Once I have it on (hopefully!) I will post the pics for other ABS'ers

8. West Coast Mags

West Coast Mags Parlor Snake

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants to tackle their own high fender I bought a UFO Supermotard new black fender. Never got around to doing it, ended up way thinning out my stock fender, so the UFO unit is F/S cheap, still in package. One or two scratches on the mounting pad from mock up. I was planning to do the high front, low stock back like was shown early on in this thread.
  9. fatalerror

fatalerror skrik vir niks

Oddometer:
    South West Florida, USA [formerly, South Africa]
    check pm's
  10. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    DINOSORE: I sent you an email.

If anyone wants the KTM fender i had one for a bit(pics a few pages back) they can have it, just pay shipping. PM me.

ALSO: If anyone is waiting on me to get a kit done, its on the back burner now and may not even get done.

We(me and old lady) live in a small town on 20 acres so having the room, and buildings, no codes to follow etc.. made doing a cnc machine feasable. However now the economy is reaking havoc on us, due to the trailer mfg we both work for coming on very hard times(layoffs, rumors of shutting down) we are now looking to move back to Kansas City for work. :(

So if anyone was waiting please don't any longer. sorry.
  11. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ready to leave work here and its pouring, so tonight will be the official hard rain test for the high fender. :wink:
  12. J2Jonner

Oddometer:
    Did the rain test go well?
  13. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    Well by the time i got my rain gear on and left it was just raining "normal" if you will, not pouring anymore. But still now streams coming up in front of the fender that i could see or anything.
  14. J2Jonner

Oddometer:
    Well go the fender in the mail and mounted. I ended up mounting it to my fork brace as more of a fender though, looked like mounting it on the lower triple would cause the fork brace to hit it under compression. I notched the fender around the brace to gain back an inch there. Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    Do you have more detailed photos of the mount? I've got a busted fender and this might be the best solution. I'd like a higher fender but I don't really care for the beak look.

Thanks
  16. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    I just got around to getting a fork brace(Murph brace).
    When i put in my front fork springs i found out you have about 1 or so of clearance between the top of the fork brace and the lower triple tree if you were to bottom the front end out completely.
    My fender mount did not leave that much room.
    I made a new one that leaves plenty of room. I forgot to take pics of it before i mounted it. sorry.
    I'll replace the bolts later with stainless one and add some pics of it then.
    I just reused the holes i had drilled and tapped in my lower triple tree. But you could use some square U bolts and then not have to do that.
    But i guess for the question of can you mount a brace with a high fender.. you can but it needs to be somthing like this so there is no contact.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    Hey Gravehunter....nice panniers.

How'd you do that?
    Ammo Cans right?

THinking about the same for my Tiger. Advice????
  18. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    Yah ammo cans.

I mounted them on SW motech quick detach racks.
    They are heavy, but pretty much bullet proof. And are super cheap.
    Bought bed liner in a spray can at Walmart to coat them.
    I don't mind the weight. If i have them on it means i'm probably not doing anything to where they will limit me.
    I just used bolts to mount them on the racks. Nothing special.
    The SW Motech quick mount racks makes it nice to very quickly take them on and off as needed.
  19. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    Thanks Great call. Rhino linner in a can.....love it!

And the phrase is frugal....not cheap. :evil

What size are they? If you don't mind me asking?

I am trying to decide which ones to buy but am having trouble determining size as the army/navy web sites show them next to OTHER ammo cans but not next to a bike (obviously)
  20. yellowironguy

yellowironguy Safety glasses required

Oddometer:
    I didn't take the time to read the entire thread, but I like the look of the high fender. Only question is how does it work at highway speed. The front fender on my KTM dirtbike gets flapping pretty violently above 70mph or so.