V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jdrocks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^nice work, Mr. Joe...

i'm in the shop finishing up the light mount on my beast, nothing minimalist or light about it though.

mine tend to end up on the ground sooner or later, i want the mount to look kinda stylish when i snap the photo of it laying there.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    headlight mount, it's complicated...ok, there's a cutout for the horn too.

[​IMG]
    joenuclear and JagLite like this.
  3. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe - on a custom headlight mount I did with a round light on my CB500, at first I mounted it solid like you show, but found I went through headlight bulbs rapidly (about every 3-500 miles or so). I then added some rubber in the path to the forks like the OEMs do and the blown bulb problem went away. Just thought I'd mention it in case you start blowing bulbs. YMMV
  4. I dig dirt

I dig dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tagged
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    enjoy the show
  6. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What material thickness is that?
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    11ga/3mm, easy to work with using everyday tools, and can also be formed without special mandrels...important if you happen to incorporate various radius bends in the work. hard to see in the photo, but there are both 1m and 10cm radius bends in those pieces, tricky to get everything lined up to have symmetry on the centerline. fabricating parts for motos is often unlike other work where you are connecting A and B. on moto parts, you have to find A, then find B, then find a suitable method to connect that still satisfies certain design criteria.
    tobiism likes this.
  8. joe5322

joe5322 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Verry nice again Jdrocks.Your motors are a example for me.
    On pic.with the fairing for when it is cold.
    Thank You Ohjim,but I use a led bulb,hope it last 20.000 hours. fairing.jpg
    OHjim likes this.
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Joe, did you fabricate the windscreen, or is it borrowed from a different moto? if you made it, come back and describe how it was done.
  10. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guzzi used to blow the left of the two rear bulbs almost as quickly as you mention. The cure was to put a dab of silicone on the bulb holder to take away the freedom of movement sloppiness. Worked a treat, I don't think I have replaced another bulb.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    hey guzzi man, i've got a euro headlight (gasp) and steel mounts again on this bike, but the headlight assembly itself provides a little resilience. the OEM lamp provided by this manufacturer is officially rated only slightly above one birthday cake sized candle power, so i do the same as Joe, swap in the LED lamp. there is a euro version of the same headlight, maybe that's how they got it approved for use over there.

i never rely on just the main headlight, so this one gets auxiliary LEDs too. i think i wrote about coming back from the mountains and losing the OEM main, then also one of the auxiliary lights too. i limped home on one light, in the rain, with a flat tire that refused to take a plug. i think the lamp/holder is all one piece on these headlights, now i'll have to verify.
  12. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't remember a review of the cheap (amazon?) chinese lights you used a build or two ago. Did I miss it?
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    no problems with those 4" LEDs, still functioning fine when i sold the bike. of interest, the problems i've had with auxiliary LED lights have all been with expensive lights. when i say "problems", i mean total failure.

stay tuned, now i'm trying out some ultra cheapo chineseum LEDs, you pay for them with pocket lint.
    ben2go likes this.
  14. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Amazing job!!
    I am considering doing something with a Versys+Ninja to fit it to my needs and wants.
    I don't know if this was asked before but what was the final weight wet?
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    my focus on the V649 series has not been on weight, but more on durability. i haven't weighed them previously, but i think i can get something rigged up to weigh this one on my digital scale. other builders have claimed weights as low as 375. you have a 135# motor sitting right in the middle which means it's tough to get light.
    11motos likes this.
  16. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somebody say lights?
    I’ll just leave this here.

B1E0C64C-621C-497C-A0AD-4283BC56F0C6.jpeg
    JagLite, joenuclear and FR700 like this.
  17. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I understand it is not going to be too light but also was wondering if there were any opportunities to shave some pounds.
    Obviously we cannot get them off the motor. That motor is awesome.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Woody will be able to spot the arches from about 3 miles out.

reminds me of a rally car that a friend built back in my school days, ya could see the lights on that thing before it crested the horizon.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    cut misc. brackets off the frame, that's worth less than a pound. motor, frame, subframe, wheels, forks, shock, not much available. i use a heavy swingarm, you could go light and save 3#. custom exhaust is worth 10#. no pannier racks, save 8#. lightweight tower/headlight/screen save 5#. might be a few other pounds hear and there.

the V649 bike have tended to be ridden hard, i want them to stay together, so they might be a little overbuilt from another builder's perspective. i fabricate in steel, heavy, but can be repaired if necessa just about anywhere on the road, not so with aluminum.
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Do you think a set of quality spoke wheels could save some lbs vs the cast or machined wheels? ...well unless they are magnesium alloy that can be lighter than spokes, I guess.