1. eNewsletter Sign Up

V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jdrocks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    very nicely detailed 500 build you have there Charles. did you do the seat and panniers?

i've often preached about design and visualization in this thread, Charles is presenting an example of those concepts taken to completion.

that first V649 in the photo was the moto that went across the TAT, then up the CDT into Canuckistan, only to be turned around by a blizzard in the YT. i had that particular bike upside down in about 6 western states. mini wind screen from a fiberglass mold created from a sectioned Saturn bumper cover, front beak in fiberglass from a mold created from a sectioned KLR rear fender.
    JRowland and JagLite like this.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    plenty of riders have run a high fender on the Versys, some of the mounts appeared to be well done, others a little sketchy. there are various solutions, all relatively easy work.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    rear travel is constrained by the subframe design and fender liner. ride it as intended, you break the fender liner.

photos back in the thread showing the interference issues, and some remedies.
    JagLite and DiggerD like this.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words! The bags I bought, but I made the brackets. (Which are actually not quite finished yet). The seat I did recover, but I’m going to buy another seat and add some foam to it for a larger seat-to-peg distance, which will make the bike more comfortable for me.

I’ve since removed the top box, as it looks goofy. I’ve made a few more subtle mods, as It’s not quite done yet. For instance, a hugger rear fender is in the works to keep road spray off the carbs.

Charles.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. Mazdarati_turbo

Mazdarati_turbo n00b

Oddometer:
    I know it can be done, and I could do it, I just keep going back to the low front fender which normally I dislike how they look. For me, on this bike it just seems to look good.... maybe I'll do both and see which one I like better and functions better. What exhaust do you have? I want something quiet like stock as I'm not a fan of the noise these parallel twins make.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Solid mount for the low fender requires some thought too.

I’m running a Leo Vince, much lighter but a little louder than OEM.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    low fender mount with built-in saddle that fits a DRZ fork brace, this one was used on the red frame bike. compound curves to fit the fender correctly, bring your BFH along with a little imagination to cold form these fabricated parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick question for the suspension guys. I've now fitted the R1 shock (using the slightly modified Versys spring), it is noticeably much smoother. However, it is also much bouncier (pogoing) when I go over bumps and stuff at speed. Any tips on how to reduce this (or is this just the side effect of being very smooth at low speeds). I've tried to use the instructions for adjusting the shock in the R1 manual, but to no avail. I also cannot see what the adjuster circled in pink is for. TIA.
    r1shock.jpg
  9. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    That one should be the rebound adjuster which will help with the pogoing. Page 3-19 on the 2007 R1 manual: Screenshot_1.png
    16VGTIDave and tkdcol like this.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks draco, yeah, that's it. lots of bang for the buck with this shock swap, and the adjustments are very straightforward.
    tkdcol likes this.
  11. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's what I was guessing. Any idea how many times that should click? As that adjuster doesn't seem to move correctly (very stiff compared to others)
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the shock probably hasn't been adjusted in quite awhile, if ever. spray it with some penetrating oil, take your time, don't booger that slotted adjuster screw.
    tkdcol likes this.
  13. fasteddiecopeman

fasteddiecopeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R1shock1 copy.jpg Here are the R1 rebound suggestions from the Manual. (Starting from FULL IN [CW]) and that's on the LOWEST adjuster in YOUR pic, just LEFT of the lower attachment bolt.

Minimum (soft) 20 clks CCW
    Standard 12 clks CCW
    Hard 3 clks CCW

Here are 'starting points' from the Manual:

Settings should be the same for the 2007/2008 rear shock.
    From the 2007 Yamaha Owners Manual;

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...53_r1_1309.pdf

Rebound 12 clicks from fully closed. (Turn CCW out to 12)

Slow Compression (inset screw) turn 12 clicks from fully closed.
    (Turn CCW out to 12)

Fast Compression (nut) Turn nut 3 turns out from fully closed. (Turn CCW out 3 turns)

Good luck - I LOVE my R1 shocks...!
    tkdcol likes this.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    ah, a refugee seeking asylum from that freakin' crazy, near dead Versys forum, however temporary, plus he comes bearing some useful info. thanks

this guy might have some insight on more mid range spring rates for the R1, since he weighs exactly half of what i do...11 stone, not 22 stone.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    hunkered down in the bunker here in eastern VA, how weird are things going to get? our small county has a high percentage of elderly, now there's a noticeable decrease in traffic, those folks are staying home, plus many have been told by their employers to work from home. our small local supermarket doesn't have any handsanitizer, but is reasonably stocked with most other items.

with the decrease in driving, local regular gas is at $1.89 and falling. in the southwest part of the state, you can find $1.50 gas, when was the last time anyone saw that number?
  16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    In 2008, in Houston, a few weeks before hurricane Ike came through, gas was around $1.40. For this California boy, that was crazy!
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    now i see $1.47, how low can it go? i suppose we'll all be paying the price for this fiasco at some point.
  18. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think yourselves lucky in the UK we pay £1.22 per litre of unleaded petrol ...roughly $1.50 per litre .

So for an imperial gallon of fuel it is the equivalent of $6.84 (£5.54) or alternatively $5.67 (£4.61) per US gallon
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    load the moto on Air Canada, it's supposed to be the least expensive, and come over for a cheap xcountry ride...no travel ban on UK citizens, just remember to bring your own TP, we're sold out in the States.
  20. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jdrocks said: "hunkered down in the bunker here in eastern VA, how weird are things going to get?"

Sounds like,a good time to get the new bike finished;)
    tkdcol likes this.