V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jdrocks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. BSR

BSR Happy at the back

Oddometer:
    Do you have a build thread for the last one? Looks ace.

We have the Versys here ... ah, the road bike is the ER6N.
    Sure as hell wont find one for what you're spending.

Please continue, can't wait to see the result.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    old build thread is over here mixed in with a ride report. don't go in there unless you have plenty of time on your hands...maybe snowed in somewhere.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5480

no vtwin ninjas. the "V" in V649HP is for Versys since the bike is built around the versys frame, while the 649HP is the sportbike engine.

so it's really a rat versys with a cop motor.
  3. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    both the bikes in the photo are based on the Ninja 650R model designation in the States, but otherwise known as the ER6F, or EX650.
  4. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    I don't believe I know Sheila JD but I'd sure like to see her bike. With the damage to my back, I've shrunk near two inches and shorter is better.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you would have met them at jeffs place in bedford, but she didn't have the bike then. mike was the rider who broke his new connie in half that day.

2" ain't nuthin', now you can tuck right in, probably worth 10-15mph on the top end.

PM for contact info if you're interested. they're top notch and would enjoy showing you the bike.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    probed around that gap at the frame stem with a length of wire, and there's nothing behind that glob of weld.

[​IMG]

there's an even larger opening on the underside of the same assembly, also with a puddle of weld in front of it.

[​IMG]

an assumption, but they must not have intended to weld these joints. i decided to leave them alone. they would require multiple passes to close and i don't want that much heat.

clipped everything off the frame that doesn't have something specific mounted to it.

[​IMG]

my weight reduction program starts off with a total of 6.6oz, big deal.

the welds were ground flush with a 120 grit disc. you can't just grind away on these welds, it takes a light touch on the frame tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the exposed metal gets smoothed with a little filler, and then primed. looks better already.
  7. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    A paddle wheeled sanding disc would smooth that right out. No filler required.

SamM
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i think that procedure only works on KLR frames. these cool Versys frames require something a little different.
  9. BSR

BSR Happy at the back

Oddometer:
    I'm with you, thanks for the clarification.

Just got in from work, wife hasn't got up yet and it's -12c outside and i've got a nice beer so i'll start through the other build thread!
    :clap
  10. tragerbon

tragerbon 2019 KLX 250

Oddometer:
    I like the direction you are going with this, after modding my new bike and reading all of the converted to dual-sport threads, I wanted to start over with just a versys frame, cut off the crap I did not need...etc...etc.. Good luck with the build.

My guess on the two machined parts are, the forks !
  11. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Tagerbon, I have seen pictures of your bike and I like the way you modified it, it is fine looking bike! Can you give us a picture here or put your build tread address in your signature?
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    a beer won't get you through that thread, ya need at least a half bottle of whiskey.
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i thought your Versys turned out really well, a sharp looking bike. come back in here with a good photo. as i've said many times, the ninja/versys series lends itself to easy and inexpensive mods that can be taken many directions. very capable bikes and you can run the heck out of them.

...but, i gotta have that cop motor in there, so i needed to build my own.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    photo of the second generation bike is back on page 5, link in post 32. ride report from the 2010 adventure season included, but if you think you're going to run up to Gatineau and find that gorgeous near naked French gal i met there...i don't think you'll find her dressed that way in the winter.

here's the first generation bike that was wrecked in Montana, literally pounded and pried back together on the spot, and ridden home.

[​IMG]

and if you're really really snow bound and want some cheap entertainment, the rest of the 2009 Canuckistan report is here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515446

it was not a real swell day...la vida loca.

I was down face first in that gravel intersection, slid a few feet and stopped. I had gone off the bike to the left, and was covered with dust and gravel. The bike was pinned under the hopper body and being dragged through the turn, the driver never stopped. I looked to my right and saw the trailer still moving over me, quickly rolled left, and the left rear tandems on the trailer just missed me. If I had been unable to move, the trailer would have run right over me. The truck finally stopped, but with a final lurch, the hopper gate controls raked down the exposed right side of the bike.
  15. tragerbon

tragerbon 2019 KLX 250

Oddometer:
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that bike looks like it wants some adventure. sharp lookin' bike.
  17. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it looks a lot like a Super Moto!
  18. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    That Versys looks sweet!
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    make a few more changes, and you're on the road to Labrador.
  20. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    I'm guess here but do you change both wheels from 17x17 to 18x19 so you can run knobbies?