V7 Questions

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by motoretro, Jun 30, 2011.

1. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    The Triumphs are nice. Shaft drive is the big seller for me.
  2. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shaft drive, and fuel injection. I purchased my 2009 V7C used for about $6k. To get fuel injection on the Bonnie, it had to be 2010 or newer, and I just didn't see any for sale (used, didn't want to pay new price). Plus, I like the longitudinal mounted V-twin. It gives the Guzzi's a unique look, unlike anything else available today. The more I looked at them the more the Guzzi tugged out me, and told me it was the bike for me. I've only had it about 5 weeks, but have put nearly 1,000 miles on it in that time, and am really lovin' it. I definitely feel that I've made the right choice.

Now, if M.G. comes out with a V11 or V12 Classic (same classic style as the V7 Classic with the big block engine), that may be my next bike.
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I looked at one, but price, plastic tank, and spoked wheels/tubed tires are what sent me to the Bonneville.

I would have been a lot more interested if they had the new black one with the cast wheels, new heads, and steel tank available.

Chain vs shaft is almost a wash to me with O-ring chains.
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    The Bonnie got EFI in '09, not '10. I got my EFI, mag-wheel '09 "used" (with 236 miles on it) in May '10 for a grand less than a new '10 would have been :deal
  5. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Score!
  6. Cheap Café Nihilist

Cheap Café Nihilist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shaft drive and the quality of fit and finish. Also, here in BC the Triumph would have cost me an extra few hundred per year in insurance because it's over 750cc. The V7 has more than enough power for me, so the extra oomph of the Bonneville wasn't an issue. But the biggest thing was shaft drive: I promised myself that I'd never again carry another can of chain lube across the continent.
  7. Penderic

Penderic Format C:/u

Oddometer:
  8. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    You guys want to tell him or should I?
  9. surly357

surly357 Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer:

:rofl

.......and thanks for the replies to my question, hope it's not seen as a 'hijack'......

what i find really interesting is that even folks that ended up buying the triumph are still checking into a v7 thread! the bike must have struck a chord....
  10. GuinnesS

GuinnesS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody got side shot of the cast wheels? From this angle, to my eyes at least, they look a little cheesy. Whilst I much prefer this bike to the bonneville, I find the triumph cast wheel much better looking. Tubeless?
  11. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  12. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, they might be getting somewhere....

Now if this bike makes some decent power...
  13. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    I really don't think its about the power...seeing that black one, all these lights go off in my head for things I'd do to it. Jack up the suspension, some knobbies, clip ons, figure out a high pipe; I'd make it a dirty cafe back road bastard. Or add a rack, backrest, luggage, call it an around town run about.
  14. GuinnesS

GuinnesS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! That's more like it.
  15. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
    :scratch

I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm actually quite happy at the news, it's just that they've been talking about it for over 10 years (ever since they were discussing putting that aero engine on the Hippogriff). And the "about a dozen people" is a jab at the small number of Guzzi enthusiasts (you'll notice I use it relatively often).
  16. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a long time admirer of the V7 Classic and the black one really hits the mark. I like the way Moto Guzzi puts the voltage regulator right up front in the breeze. Does anybody know if the fuel injection is closed-loop? (O2 sensor)
  17. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    I have been admiring the V7 for a couple years. Have to say the black with cast rims is even sweeter. Need to play the lotto and shuffle some things in the garage.:wink:
  18. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read the blog Penrics linked to, thank you,
    Interesting to note the blogger mentioned the spoke wheels standard on the deluxe model, the plainer black model having cast wheels. That alone would make the decision to choose the black bike a no brainer for me.

I pray I never have to remove the spoke rear wheel on the road to fix a flat, I don't think I can do it outside of my shop.

At least with a tubeless tire, a plug kit, and a Slime pump, I can make it home.

Took me three hours the first time I did a flat repair. I had to pull the final drive off to get the wheel/cush drive back on. First thing I learned was not to pull out the drive shaft to grease the splines. There may very well be a trick to getting the front spline back on the transmission output shaft, but I am not aware of it. I ended up pulling the entire swingarm off to get it back on.

I would be happy to trade my DELUXE chrome spoke wheels with anyone buying the new model with the
    'lower grade' tubeless cast wheels...

The proto shows Pirelli tires, maybe the Lasertecs are a thing of the past.

I also like the oval cooling fins, but with my basic mechanical skills, I think I'm happy with the heron heads and likely lower compression. I don't see gas getting any higher quality in the near future, and old tech seems less affected by such things.
  19. Minimike

Minimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, but on a tight mountain road it can be a buddy beater. :evil
  20. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: