V7 Questions

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by motoretro, Jun 30, 2011.

1. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    I really like this colour combination. There is no reference to it anywhere on any official Guzzi sites that I can find. The factory website ( for Canada anyway ) is pretty useless. Very little info.
    I found a few aftermarket places for accessories ( centrestand, luggage rack, engine gaurds etc...), but only Hepco & Becker list bags for it. I would really like a set of aluminum panniers, preferably black, but not too wide. And i would really like a set of heated grips too. Would a set from a Norge or Stelvio fit do you think?
    I guess the question for me is, can I live with it as my only bike? I don't put a ton of miles on anymore, but I do like the bike to be equipped with the things that I use all the time.There is an inheirent coolness that Guzzi's have that most other bikes can't match ( my own opinion, I'm not looking to start a discussion on it ), but lack of dealer and aftermarket support may push me into something else in the end.
    I'm sure I'll come home from the bike show even more confused.:hmmmmm
  2. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    Hepco + Becker have two choices in aluminium panniers. Take a look at thier website. "Standard" and "Exclusiv"

Also, you can probably make Happy-Trails or Jesse panniers work with adapter hardware.

No big whoop. Well, except for the black part. You'll have to have 'em powdercoated yourself.
  3. pm9654

pm9654 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011...ls-get-new-engine-with-more-power-and-torque/

I just really love the looks of this bikes. (big Bonneville fan as well) Yea, they don't have near the power of most new bikes, (though the Bonnie is pretty good) but for someone like me who grew up back in the '70's, they'll do just fine, and have all the power I need. I'd really like the blacked out one, but with spoked wheels!
  4. MQracing

MQracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the spoked wheels on the current (modern) lineup of the V7's--- but
    wish that they had spec'd in some really beautiful shouldered alloy rims
    instead of chrome plated steel rims.

That and a pair of disc brakes up front would be nice--- but the single is not
    a dealbreaker for me in any case.

I applaud Piaggio for their commitment to Moto Guzzi--- for a while I thought that
    perhaps ominous dark clouds had fallen on the lovely eagle.

MSL
  5. MQracing

MQracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nonsense. There are many counterexamples to refute this claim. Cortez (in a later post on this thread) offers one such counterexample.

And a closer to home strong counterexample of a "decades old" air cooled twin offering up some decent HP numbers
    (if HP is that important to you) is to look at the Buell's. Basically built on a fifty year old architecture (sportster derivative).
    In the 900 series engine they are getting 92 HP--- which equates roughly to 100 HP per litre of displacement. The 1203 cc engine develops approx 103 HP.

But, as the late George Harrison sez--- it's all up to what you value. When I see people saying that 55HP vs 50HP would make all the difference in the world to them I just shake my head a bit. The difference just doesn't strike me as being a real qualitative difference. I'd say build a good strong reliable motor for a long service life. That's worth more to me than plus or minus 5 hp.

MSL
  6. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/31897460?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;color=ffffff" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/31897460">Moto Guzzi New 750 Engine</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/controcampo">Controcampo Produzioni</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  7. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool

Oddometer:
    I have a '97 Ducati Monster 750. Installed 39mm FCRs, Ferracci 11:1 forged pistons, polished and ported heads, and Ferracci exhaust.

She dyno'd 60hp at the rear tire.

She is as built as a 750cc Ducati 2-valve engine can be and still run on 93 octane pump fuel and be daily rideable reliable.

So, if Guzzi gets 50hp out of their 750cc air cooled engine, that's pretty good for a production machine that has to pass emissions and noise restrictions, have a warranty, and be sold at a dealership.

I love the style of that show bike. I can see owning that machine.

Cheers.
  8. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Still a Heron cylinder head design with all its limitations - see vid at 00:20. The valves are flush with the head surface so combustion chamber must be in the piston. This would not be a deal breaker since they made other improvements in the bike - notably getting rid of the plastic tank.
  9. rocker59

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was disappointed to see Heron Head combustion chambers, but the added fin area, change in spark plug location, etc. are nice.

I agree, the steel fuel tank is a win-win deal!
  10. Minimike

Minimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost done:

[​IMG]
  11. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a shot of my V7 Classic when I visited West Point in October.
    [​IMG]
  12. surly357

surly357 Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer:
    The V7 bikes- alloy rims?
  13. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rims on my '09 are chromed steel. I don't know if they switched to alloy for the 2012 or not.
  14. CurtOKC

CurtOKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had my V-7 Classic since mid august and I love it. But I do have one serious question why is that bikes unlike cars due not get the same kind of dealer service. Case in point; MG says to adjust the valves at approx. 600 miles. If this was a car you would take to the dealership and they would do it no charge to the customer as well as to a quick over all check and top of any needed fluids. This has not been my expierence with my bike. If the dealer or their desiganted service rep. does any thing besides a visual it is going to cost you.
    Just does not seem like a good way to bulid godd customer/service relationship.
    Just my humble opinion.
    What do others think?:huh
  15. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think you should start a thread about it in Jo Momma.
  16. rocker59

Oddometer:
    +1
  17. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you should start a thread about starting a thread about it in Jo Momma.

Oh, and CurtOKC - if you want to attract lots of readers to your threads, post pics of boobs. Clear nipple shots are best.
  18. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    If you need to take your Guzzi to a dealer for a valve adjustment...

Perhaps you need to take your woman to another man in order to satisfy her sexual desires?

[​IMG]

Stay thirsty, my friend...
  19. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    I spent along time at the bike show last night talking to the M.G. rep about the V7. I think I'm convinced enough about the bike, what concerns me is the lack of dealer network. I'm going to go and visit one ( about two hours away) next week. He says he can get me a red one. I'm just as undecided if I want to get rid of my DL650, or keep it along side the new bike.
    So, we shall see.................
  20. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Moto Guzzi; come see one now, at any of the SIX great dealers throughout the US!"

OK, so it isn't that bad, there are several dealers within two hours of where I live, the nearest being about 40 minutes away.

The good thing is that if you can do basic work on a bike, you won't need your dealer much, as the V7 is a very simple machine (which was part of the attraction for me), and very simple to maintain.

Keep us posted!

If you use your DL650 off road, keep it, as the V7 isn't meant for off road.