V7 Questions

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by motoretro, Jun 30, 2011.

1. TOzman

TOzman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about a Guzzi (V7 III Special or V9 Roamer) for when I recover from surgery to repair a severed patellar tendon (ugh), but am somewhat skiddish as a good many folks seem to believe parts are hard to come by. There is also a common belief that the bike is reliable AFTER you work out some initial gremlins.

What say you owners?
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't own a V7 but my 2013 Griso has been reliable. I don't live close to ANY dealer, be it Japanese, German or Italian so parts are as close as my computer. My Honda CBF1000 was the least reliable bike I've ever owned, left me stranded twice: fuel pump ($750), then cooked stator ($550). Glad to be riding my reliable Guzzi and the dogs Ural now, neither have broken down or required anything but regular maintenance, which on both is super simple. Ride one and if you like it, buy it. Life's to short to worry about what if. And if it does break, fix it, then go ride some more. If it's a bike you like, then any niggles become character.
    davyjones likes this.
  3. kingofgix

kingofgix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had 8 Guzzis (I like bikes!). I have not had majors issues with any of them. They are solid, reliable bikes. The V7's have been around for 10 years, and for several years before that as the 750 Breva and Nevada models. They are very proven, and there have been minimal changes. Easiest bike to work on I can think of. There are things that people upgrade on them, like with most bikes (suspension, seats), but there isn't anything I am aware of that NEEDS to be addressed. A couple of issues have been the spark plug caps being poorly insulated, and fuel filters that are plastic and can fail, but I haven't had either of these replaced on my V7 II and it is fine. I don't know if these issues even apply to the V7 III or V9 models.

As far as parts being hard to come by, baloney. Parts are easy, even for the older bikes. There are places that sell parts (Moto International in Seattle, MG Cycle online, Harpers in Kansas City to name a few) who can get you what you need if your local dealer can't.
    davyjones and TonyKZ1 like this.
  4. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2009 V-7 Classic has been totally reliable. When the Piaggio Group took over the company they really made some serious improvements. I have had great service from MG Cycle for spares with very fast deliveries.
    davyjones and TonyKZ1 like this.
  5. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 shout out for MGCycle.

Not only do they provide fast, good service, but, they have every thing you'll need for Guzzis old and new. I bought everything I needed from them to rebuild my 1974 Eldorado 850 motor.
    davyjones likes this.
  6. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '09 1200 Sport purchased new in '10 turned into a major hairball in 26 months and 26k miles. I ditched the bitch as soon as I could find a buyer.

Three weeks ago I picked up a new V7 III in Ct. and headed home to Florida after playingin the Catskill Mountains for a week. At about 1200 miLes, shortly after the first service, it left me stranded at roadside when the fuel filter failed. The OEM filter have been problematic for many years. The filter was replaced, now the bike has almost 3k miles on it without another issue. You'll find dealers are few and far between, and good..... well Ya gotta look real hard to find them. You happen to have on of the in your neck of the woods. The damn thing makes me smile so it's a keeper for now.

Paul
    davyjones likes this.
  7. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there an after market fuel filter that is recommended?
    I have my eye on a V7III, just waiting for some money to roll in
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe Mahle KL145, or order from Guzzitech
    davyjones and SteelB12 like this.
  9. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    I just responded to your Versys thread but here goes. I have the 15 Versys 1000. great bike but leaves me wanting more just like the 12 Gold wing before it and virtually all japanese bikes. (Of about 50 total) Loved my 2008 Triumph tiger 1050 though. My Harleys were ok but more trouble that any Guzzi I ever owned. 11 total now.
    I have a 2001 Guzzi Ev and would buy another if they made them again. I have a 2015 V7 at my Az. house and just bought a 2017 V7-3 special for the Ga. house because i loved the 15 V7 so much. the 17 is night and day better that the 15. hard to believe but they really (finally) stepped up to the plate and fixed everything but the HS fuel filter that in reality rarely fails.
    The V7 3 puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it. 5.5 gallon gas tank and 50-70 (in the 10000-13000 foot mountains)-MPG is nice too.
    as for parts they are far easier to get than some other brands.
    davyjones, TonyKZ1, SteelB12 and 2 others like this.
  10. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Pnw, FWIW, I think elkgrichard is now deceased, so don't expect a response from him anytime soon...:grim
  11. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed he hadn't been on in awhile. That's unfortunate. I though he just bailed after he went full head exlody on V7s.

-Jake