VA / DC / MD folks - Any interest in Europe in 200X?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by storymitchell, Oct 6, 2003.

1. storymitchell

storymitchell Member of the proletariat

Oddometer:
    The autumn of my discontent (Hillsboro, VA)
    Some of you folks just got back from Europe. I see that Steve is talking about going next year. With my employment situation the way it is the earliest I can go is 2005. But ever since driving through the Alps in a Volvo station wagon, I've had a hankering to spend some time in Europe on a motorcycle.

I know people in Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, and Switzerland. I have friends here that are from the UK, Germany, and Norway that could hook us up with people there. I am hardly a world traveler - I'll bet you folks know people from as many or more places in Europe. With plenty of lead time for planning and organizing, I have to believe that a fun and reasonably priced trip could be put together.

How much interest is there, really, on a group getting together and doing a European trip in 2004 or 2005? If the interest is there I'd be happy to take point on starting to pull together where to go / what to see / who to visit / how to get there information.
  2. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Really is no reason to limit it to just us NOVA types. Planes fly from all over right?

How many people are you willing to organize for? I am not sure I want the structured Edelweiss experience. It is fine for Jabba because that is the kind of guy he is. Me, I would rather get lost and explore on my own. As long as I can take my teddy bear to keep me safe.

In. :thumb
  3. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly easy going about head count - my reason for starting with (basically) you guys is I've ridden with you and I'm comfortable riding with you. My experience with a car, in Europe, is that you need to be comfortable behind the wheel. Being tentative is a bad, bad thing. I'd imagine the same is true with a motorcycle.

In any case, I'll start pulling info together, and see if we can rough in at least a head count of interested parites.
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    :confused

Okay- I'll go as long as Steve doesn't go~:):
  5. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Chicken

You coming out this way this weekend?

Got plenty of yard you can camp in and you can help with the KRS main seal replacement. :evil
  6. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Let's check the Magic 8 ball....

"All signs point to yes!~"

I've gotta go off to Buffalo (no shuffling jokes, please) for 3 days... back on Fri PM. I'm thinking of heading towards WV on Sat a.m., maybe Seneca area... but I could be talked into wrenching too. My crashbars appear to require front shock removal to install... not something I look forward to doing. Lemme know what you're up to and I'll catch up with ya on friday night.
    (P.S. I've been lost on numerous occasions- I'm damned good at it!)
  7. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    JAbba - what F$#$ing kinda of crash bars require removal of the front shock????
    Hi StoryMitchell - this Europe thing sounds pretty neat - my friend from Sweden is in town now and we're talkin about Sweden -> Swiss -> Spain or Italy... He doesn't ride bikes but restores vintage cars...
  8. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Hepco Beckers... I was lining them up tonight prior to install.... and the telelever is in the way of accessing the large bolt that one of the mounting points appears to attach to. I think it's because of the Ohlins and the way they're adjusted... or I could have the wrong mounting point. Hard to say before I dig into it further. This particular nut is countersunk and there's no way to get a socket in there because of the telelever. Figure I've got to drop the shock to lower the lever a tad- No biggie, but I said fuggit- this is a project for winter. What's your deal? You riding yet? Got anything to ride yet? YaWanna?
  9. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I have an acquaintance that is Danish who currently lives in Switzerland. I met him when he flew to the US, bought a K100RS, and managed to put 24K miles on it in a summer of riding around the US. I expect that he has a list of the "must do" cols in the Alps. I used to live in Norway, and while the roads look like fun I keep seeing web pages where people complain about the draconian enforement of the speed limits. What does your buddy know about this? Should Norway be scratched off the list? Any opinions or thoughts he has that you want to share would be greatly appreciated.

I am (I think) in complete sync with Steve e.g. fairly informal is the way to go. I'm thinking about a general itinerary where people come and go as their vacation time / funds / desires / other plans permit.
  10. Jabba

Oddometer:
    As I said in my ride report- it would be very easy to do one of these things on your own- and I plan on just that in the future. I have already started collecting some rental agencies on my favorites list. Navigation is not a big problem- the signs are different, but you just follow the signs that point toward the town you're interested in- and you're fine. English is universal enough that you can get by wherever you go- and the political situation is stable enough at the moment. I'd be VERY interested in going back- and in riding some of the passes I missed- or trying an entirely new area. The newest trip Edelweiss is promoting is Munich to Norway... That would make for an interesting route- but you'd miss all those passes just to the South. My vote is for Italy because there's so much- so close... and their attitude is so great about bikers.
  11. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Send the HB back for some Wonderlickers (IMHO).... Goin nuts - call'n the dealer again tommorrow, the parts gotta be in by now, and drive up to Mechanicsburg, PA on Friday to see her - I had to drive the cage over to Leesburg just to see some of the guys and bikes last weekend.... By the way the Hershey Auction is going on all week - anyone wanta check out some vintage cars ?.. [​IMG]
  12. porterfish

porterfish Debaser

Oddometer:
    I could pull a 2006, but only if steve will change out my final and tires.:rofl
    seriously, wife and I have been discussing a similar trip, and if things go well, that will be about when I finish school, if thats not an excuse for a vacay I dont know what is.

in 06
  13. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Only if the tires are whitewalls.
  14. porterfish

porterfish Debaser

Oddometer:
    I am starting to suspect you may scuff them, but only for effect.:evil
  15. PaulS

PaulS Österreicher

Oddometer:
    I'm in guys !! Let me know if I can help with the planning. I speak german, my italian is acceptable, and because I drove a tourbus for 9 years for an austrian travelagency I know pretty much every road in Austria and Northern Italy.
  16. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Give me a couple of days to a week to pull together all of the stuff I've already collected, and I'll put it out on the web for everybody to view / comment on / correct.
  17. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    First pass at info:

http://www.earlystage.com/advrider/Default.htm

I'll keep digging, and filling out the TBDs. Jabba has voted for Italy, and CapoPaul speaks German and Italian - this makes the Alps look real good. Does anybody that is intersted in going speak French? So for 2004 we're looking at a base camp somewhere in the Alps where France, Italy, and Switzerland intersect.

Does a trip to the Alps work for everybody?

How about duration? One week or two?

Dates? August is out - how about sometime in July? Or do we want to do this off season?
  18. BoxerBoy

BoxerBoy Saupreisser Schweinhund

Oddometer:
    Are we talking 2005 here? :huh Hold yer horses, my planning for the last two years have been to book the first night at a good, cheap Gasthof, the rest is by the seat of the pants... Plenty of little hotels, well priced, and with the "Bikers Welcome"-sign up...

Of course you'll have to rent the bikes, but apart from that...
  19. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I Might go to Portugal this winter to fix up my house and get some riding done in between.
  20. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I think Steve, CapoPaul, and Jabba are talking 2004. I'm going to shoot for 2004, and if my employment situation doesn't improve soon I'll have to wait until 2005. That's cool, though, as I'm still happy to assemble info for a 2004 trip and use other people's experiences to plan an even better trip for 2005.