1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VA / DC / MD folks - Any interest in Europe in 200X?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by storymitchell, Oct 6, 2003.

1. BoxerBoy

BoxerBoy Saupreisser Schweinhund

Oddometer:
    Could/should time it either with the Oktoberfest, like in Jabba's case, or with the official BMW-Meet, beginning of July. If so, you'd better book the bikes quickly... :evil
  2. PaulS

PaulS Österreicher

Oddometer:
    don't go during the summer --- too many tourists everywhere. The best time is from middle/end of april and may or from the middle/end of september to end of october. It could be that at the end of october it starts to snow in the alps but if this happens you could go further south to the Apeninn mountains around Florence.
    This is the advantage going off on your own and not have to follow a program.
  3. storymitchell

storymitchell Member of the proletariat

Oddometer:
    The autumn of my discontent (Hillsboro, VA)
    Steve, Jabba - September 2004 work for you guys?

Next question - one week or two?
  4. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    September is fine and I am going to shoot for two weeks.
  5. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    I think September is a great time to go... weather was damned near perfect for riding- and the roads were mostly empty. I'm in!
  6. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I'll pencil in two weeks in September 2004: 9/11/2004 - 9/26/2004

I'm pulling together info:

September 2004

With two weeks there you can alternate days of only riding with days of riding to a factory / museum - Ducati, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Benelli, Laverda, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and BMW all seem to be within riding distance of the Alps.

What kinds of bikes do you guys have a hankering to rent? Or if you are there for two weeks, would you want to spend a week on a comfy bike, and a week on a crotch rocket - just let me know what you're thinking and I'll make sure I've IDed appropriate rental places.
  7. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Ducati 999 would be OK with me. :evil

1150GS would probably be the ideal ride. Comfy and sport enough for me on unfamiliar roads.
  8. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    Here you go

It ain't cheap at $200+ a day. For a two week visit you ought to look into a factory pickup of the replacement for your Duc (if you can wait until Sep 2004, of course).
  9. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    FYI - Caro955 (Caroline) does a moto trip in Europe every year. May want to pick her brain on the subject.

Barry
  10. PaulS

PaulS Österreicher

Oddometer:
    I've been poking around some websites and found a KTM/Guzzi dealer near Vienna they rent KTM 950's and Guzzi Breva for Euro 727.00 for 2 weeks. The only problem, there are only 2.000 km free, every additional km is euro 0.20.
    I might stop by when I'm there and find if he can give us a deal.
  11. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    Sounds great!

This is why I want to start planning now - if we can get five or ten people lined up and committed I'll bet we can negotiate a volume discount and get some great deals. At ten people the airlines start to offer group discounts, for example. In 2001 I paid $2100 for a week in an 11th century villa in Italy - the place I stayed had five bedrooms, three kitchens, a walk in fireplace, a swimming pool, and a huge dining room table that was twelve feet long, four feet across, and three inches thick! And it was at the top of a hill with a 360 degree view of the Umbria and Tuscany countryside. Volume discounts and planning early are the way to go!

2000 klicks is roughly 1200 miles, right? After riding an almost 500 miles day with Steve, I'm guesisng that 1200 miles for two weeks isn't going to be enough.

Anything you can learn while you're over there would be great!
  12. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in!!
  13. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    I averaged 300 KM a day and I can tell you that it felt like a hell of a lot more- the roads are just different and you don't cover as much mileage as you tend to here. Everything is Curves!!! I'm not exaggerating to say that much more than that would be too much. Plan on a 300 KM a day average and I guarantee that will be plenty. I went into it thinking that I'd want more- and there wasn't a single day that I felt like I hadn't ridden far enough. Lots to see- and lunches that linger for a little longer than you are used to-
  14. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree with you - Europe is simply more compact than we're used to. I will observe that the flip side, however, is if you want to go to a museam, or a place that is at the other end of an autostrada / autobahn / etc you can rack up an amazing number of miles in a very short time. For example, the Italian designer clothing "outlet" store district is about an hour southeast of Milan. For those of us that will have spouses at home that are concerned about the money being spent on the trip a day spent visiting this area is a day well spent. From the Alps this is a ride of as much as 300 klicks (one way). If the route is mostly autostrada, we should be able to bang out the 300 klicks in under two hours.

This depends on the bike you rent, of course, and how much of a beating you can take. Which is another thing we, as Americans, are not used to doing - spending two or three hours on a highway droning along at 160 to 180 KPH. I used to fly into Malpensa (just west of Milan) and run up to Vicenza, a distance of roughly 250 klicks, and traffic and rental car permitting I could do it in an hour and half. If the focus is riding the twisty backroads, I think your estimate of 300 klicks a day is right. If we're in the Alps and decide we want to run up to Paris for the day (a distance of 600 to 700 klicks), it's only a four to five hour ride.

I'm continuing to work to identify multiple bike rental operators. People will have the option to pay less and have a limited number of miles that are best used on lower speed twisty roads, or spend the money to have a fast bike with unlimited miles that they can use to blast up to Paris or down to Rome or Madrid (or if they're insane, to spend the day riding to Oslo, London, or Lisbon).
  15. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I got an email back from my buddy in Vicenza, Italy. He recommends flying into Milan and renting bikes from:

http://www.mototouring.com/

I'll get an email off to these folks and see if they offer some sort of group discount.
  16. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    From the people at Mototouring in Italy:
    <HR>
    Dear Andrew Forbes,
    Thanks for your message.
    Up today for the period requested all bikes in our fleet are still available.
    - For a group of 6 bikes a 10% discount on the unlimited mileage rate could be applied.
    - Please be aware for pick up/drop off on Sunday an extra fee of 50,00 euro/each bike will be applied

The 25% (payable by credit card, no AM-EX) non refundable deposit is requested to perfect the reservation and can only be refunded if the cancellation is notified within 15 days from the confirmation. The balance will be charged prior to the beginning of the rental. Please send the booking form either online from our web site or by fax.

Should you need any further assistance and/or info
    please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Mototouring
    Eliana Ravera
    <HR>

So, Steve, your 999 would only be 1000 Euros a week with unlimited mileage!
  17. Steverino

Oddometer:
    What a bargain!
  18. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    Yeah, looking at the Mototouring prices an ST2 or R80R is more in my price range. But it's not like you'll be in the Alps every weekend, so if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right.
  19. Jarvis

Jarvis DC GSer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If ya'll got room for another, I'm in (work allowing).
  20. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    The more the merrier! This forum / thread is the place to watch the plans as they evolve. Some of us will be getting together in early December to chat about the trip as well as just generally socialize:

BBQ

You're welcome to appear there as well.