VA / DC / MD folks - Any interest in Europe in 200X?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by storymitchell, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Hey, I haven't gone for the last 9 years in a row for nothing. I'll be back in 2004...and 2005...and....

Try to ride some of the really out of the way roads instead of the usual tour group roads that are designed more for "tour groups". Less traffic and more fun.
  2. storymitchell

storymitchell Member of the proletariat

Oddometer:
    The autumn of my discontent (Hillsboro, VA)
    And which roads would these be? We promise not to ride them while you're there :rofl !
  3. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    I hope you ride them. If you didn't, you'd be missing out on some great riding.

Which roads? Well I could list them and I will when you get some maps of northern Italy in a scale of 200 000:1 or better.

Here are a few of many...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have fun!
  4. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I have the Michelin spiral bound Italy atlas - it's 1:300,000. I've been waiting to buy something like the MapSend Streets Europe package until I learned of something that was not in the Michelin book. You're saying that the Michelin atlas isn't detailed enough? I'll get a credit card out and get the MapSend product ordered!

Thanks!
  5. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    I've got that atlas as well, but it satys home and is used for reference only...of course when it gets down to the detailed stuff, I have to drag the maps out.

I like the Freytag & Berndt maps...listed on the Books & Maps page of my web site. They are 250 000:1 and that bit makes a difference. Other maps from them are 200 000:1

Freytag & Berndt

You want the Südtirol - Trentino (South Tirol - Trentino) map. This will cover you right down to the sourthern tip of Garda Lake.

There are other maps you will need, of course.
  6. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    Any map with a scale of 250 000:1 or better (200 000:1, etc) is good for exploring roads. The Michelin France atlas has a scale of 200 000:1. I wonder why they cheaped out with respect to Italy.

What is MapSend?

I have Microsoft AutoRoute 2001 for Europe. Damn detailed and better that S&Ts 2004.
  7. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    I'll be sitting in the back lurking on this thread. 2005 earliest I could even think of a trip like this, but it has been a dream since the first time I ever saw a writeup on an alps tour. I agree with most here. The edelwiss and other tours are too ritzy for a good ole country boy like myself. Gimme a bike, cheap hotel(or even camping?!?), and decent food at a good price, and I'd be in as often as possible. The fancy foods they talk about and hotels they show aren't things I look for in vacations.:dunno
  8. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I lived in Norway in the late 60's. I bought my first motorcycle in the early 70's. I stopped riding street bikes in the early 90's. I thought I was fine until I took the family to Europe on a vacation in 2001 and didn't know the Mont Blanc tunnel was closed until I got to the tunnel. Rather than back track way to the south, we decided to try to cut through the Alps. Seven hours later we were driving through Geneva (a drive of one hour or less if the tunnel had been open).

Ever since that drive through the Alps I've had a burning desire to get back to Europe with a bike (and without my family :evil ), and ride the roads I remember in Norway, and the roads I drove when I was traversing the Alps.

There is a time and place for everything, but I'm with you. Riding the alps is most definitely on my list of things to do before I die.
  9. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you guys rent from them, I'd appreciate hearing how it works out for you. From the feedback that I've gotten so far, the quality of the bikes tends to be a bit spotty.

Thanks

Michael J.
  10. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me again.

I've had good luck with BiancoBlu in Milano. Renato rents essentially new BMWs exclusively. Prices are a bit higher that Mototouring's, but not significantly.

Alitalia has a direct Dulles-Malpensa flight (United used to have one) and you're about 2 hours out of Andermatt which is a great place to base for two or three days riding Ticino/Uri/Graubunden/Schweiz/Bern und Wallis. I've ended my last two rides in Andermatt 'cause it was close to Milano for the return trip.

If you guys haven't picked up a copy of John Hermann's book "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Corsica", get one. No need to slavishly follow his rides, but he has a lot of great insites and places you might never find wandering aimlessly on a tight schedule.
  11. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    Have been there and probably wrote some of those Draconian things. Still, Norway is so specacular that I want to go back, even if it is not on a motorcycle. Besides, the scenery is so jaw-dropping that you don't want to ride fast, because you'll miss most of it then. The only way I would recommend skipping most of Norway, was if you only wanted to get to the North Cape. Then I'd blast up through Sweden simply to save time.

I lived in Germany 1998-2001. I keep a bike over there and go back annually. I'd be happy to help you out with your trip. Have ridden just about everywhere you mentioned. My best advice would be to keep it under 200 miles a day, just have a general route planned, and let serendipity happen. Some of my best memories were not planned. :D

Just let me know if you'd like any help. I've got a drawer of maps that you wouldn't believe and a bunch of European motorcycle touring related stuff.