1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VA / VW dirt roads on Saturday, Jan 24

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by storymitchell, Jan 22, 2004.

1. storymitchell

storymitchell Member of the proletariat

Oddometer:
    The autumn of my discontent (Hillsboro, VA)
    My wife owns some land in West Virginia, right on the West Virginia / Virginia border about 30 minutes west of Winchester. This summer we're having the land logged, and to do that I have to find a logging-truck-useable route to the part of the land that is on the top of a mountain. There are county roads, private roads, use-the-roads-and-the-locals-will-shoot-at-you roads, horse trails, old logging trails, and creek beds that can double as trails when it isn't raining. My wife owns some of the roads, we have permission to use some of the roads, some of them are (in theory) county roads that we're allowed to use, and on some roads I'm likely to encounter some fairly unhappy locals. But I gotta get it done because if I can't get a truck up there I'm leaving a whole buncha timber on the table.

Many of these trails are accessible only by motorcycle or ATV so if you are not comfortable off road this is not the place to start. But I've been on many of these roads on motorcycles (sometimes the R60 and sometimes smaller dirt bikes) and it's always been a blast. Weather permitting I'll be leaving McLean about 9:30AM and I'll be in Bloomery, WV about noon. If you want to explore some serious backwoods WV this is a chance to do it. Post here or PM me and we can figure out who / where / when to meet Saturday AM.
  2. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too short a notice for me there SM or I'd sure do it. Sounds like a blast.
  3. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    I apologize for not mentioning it sooner. Only today did I get permission to cross an adjacent property owner's land. Without the ability to cross his land we'd have to go up a 20% grade and I doubt a GS could do it.

I'll have another get-together next summer after the logging happens.
  4. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I wish I could make it. I'd love to take the big cat on dirt roads and stuff.

Unfortunately, this is my weekend with my kids. I havn't seen them all week...

Myabe next time...
  5. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be out of town this weekend, otherwise I'd be happy to help you abuse your dirtbikes. :evil
  6. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    It's supposed to snow a bit tonight, and then stay below freezing all day tomorrow? What happened to the forecast of a day or two back of 40 degrees on Saturday? Up on top of the mountain the wind blows at 30+ knots, and makes for an impressive amount of wind chill. If I'm the only person doing this, I may reschedule and wait for weather that isn't quite so challenging. Plus, with a week or two I may be able to get another dirt bike running again.

Attached Files:

7. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I'm doing Taskers Gap in the snow on Saturday - that should be interesting.

And NO! I'm not taking the GS (duh !) I'm taking the rip snorting XR400 R.

Barry