Valley of the Gods, Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BlairP, Dec 28, 2018.

1. BlairP

BlairP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is part 2 of a trip that we did in November this year before it got too cold. The full version of this story is on my blog, but this is the apex of this trip.

Yes, we're on Harleys on this trip. Call me a moron for (kinda) using my dyna like a GS, but I like what I like, and so do you :)

Valley Of the Gods road has endless photo ops. It’s an easy road to take pretty much any vehicle on. Adventure bike, Harley, scooter, whatever – you’re probably fine to take just about anything with wheels – so long as you can cross the creek at the east entrance. There are plenty of spots where you can run wide open if you’ve got the balls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There’s a cool monument at the west end of the road, which is also at the base of Moki Dugway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ideally you hit the top of Moki Dugway right at sunrise or at sunset for a pretty stunning view. We hit it around noon, but we’ve spent plenty of sunsets here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting to the top is not particularly difficult at all. The road has always been in good shape when we’ve been there (which is lots of times). I imagine it could get hairy in a monsoon.

Heading out to the 95 is a decent run. Lots of sweeping corners and big flat spots to hit lightspeed.

[​IMG]

The 95 is also a pretty rad road. Hitting this road just after a rain storm produces a completely different look and there are plenty of waterfalls to check out as you dodge sandbars that have washed across the road. Our run was dry, but it’s still an awesome section.

[​IMG]

Some moron tipped his bike over. Luckily there's an extra kickstand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The run from our camp spot to the gas station in Hanksville is about 140 miles, and normally I can get that out of my Dyna…. BUT we ended up going back and forth and screwing around so much on the dirt that we pretty much all ran out of gas about 3 miles outside of Hanksville.

[​IMG]

We gassed up at Hanksville and continued on – knowing full well that we had plenty of time to hit our next camp spot with daylight to get set up.

We stopped in Torrey for lunch (really a late lunch / early dinner), fully realizing that we were screwing ourselves on the daylight camp setup, but whatever.

[​IMG]

Food in small towns is hit and miss. We’ve had decent food in Torrey, and we’ve had crap food. This place was somewhere in the middle. For the life of me I can’t remember the spot, but it was the pizza place on the south side of the highway. Food was just meh, but at least they have a full bar.

Anyways… We loaded up, left Torrey and started to head towards Monroe. It was about 4 minutes from sundown when we hit the road – which is the exact time that every fucking deer and elk in the mountain-west region decides to also hit the roads. Lots of animals out in this area as well. As usual there were a couple close calls, but nobody hit anything and we all survived just fine.

We made our way to Monroe where we camped at Mystic Hot Springs. Camping here is great. There are a couple large grassy areas to set up, picnic tables, firepits, flush toilets, showers, etc… Seems they raised their prices a little bit in the last year, but it’s worth the cost for the amenities that are available.

The road home was cold – probably the coldest day ride of the year. Wasn’t quite snowing, but it was almost there. It’s an easy 125 mile run from Monroe back to the shop, but it was also the last 125 mile run of the year. Insert sad face here.

I made this ridiculous montage of the trip. Those of us who suffered through the 80's will appreciate, but still hate it.

Chillis, Sonny S., Malamute and 11 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report:thumb So your Harley can handle dirt roads but can it handle a Starbucks parking lot?:rofl

I have ridden the Moki Dugway and loved it but now you have made me add riding it at sunrise or sunset to my bucket list!
  3. BlairP

BlairP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It can handle the SB parking lot, but it prefers the campground.
  4. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a few sandy washes that could be trouble sometimes. Valley of the Gods is spectacular.
  5. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics. While I was in Valley of the Gods a minivan went past us and I wondered how they did. Seemed like about midway through was a rough, deep sand wash that could have been a challenge to an unskilled driver.
  6. BlairP

BlairP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think I know that wash, and it Really isn’t too bad when it’s dry. I have pics and video of all of us running through it. There’s a little clip on there on that stupid youtube montage I made
  7. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Looks like a great ride. Was wondering how cruisers would do on those roads. I would like my Vulcan up Mexican Hat and I guess it's Moki Dugway and camp at the top.
  8. BlairP

BlairP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that road wasn’t bad at all. I’ve been through in wintertime when it was a sloppy mess, but for the most part, the times of year I want to ride it’s always been at least doable.

Moki has always been easily passable. I think both those roads are somewhat regularly maintained.

VOG road has tons of camp spots that pretty much all will have amazing morning views, and I think it’s a little bit warmer down in the valley compared to up top of moki.
  9. Solo Gato

Solo Gato Because im Happy like a room without a roof Supporter

Oddometer:
    i may not own one, but Harley was one of the original adv bikes.:beer
    Sonny S. and BlairP like this.
  10. BlairP

BlairP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HA HA! Every bike is an adventure bike!
    Solo Gato, Idaho Pakeha and x32792 like this.
  11. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love this kind of stuff. Ride what ya like, where you want to. No F's given.
  12. Idaho Pakeha

Idaho Pakeha formerly known as Claimjumper (2003-2016)

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed reading that, thanks!
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report and you're right about being there at sunrise/sunset.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike
    lvscrvs, Dillard, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  14. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't been there since the early '90s- I don't recall that being paved at the time. :dunno
  15. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I haven't been there in about four years but it wasn't paved when I took the photo. I don't think it's paved now.

Mike
    ozmoses likes this.
  16. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recall approaching that climb around dusk thinking, does the road go through that or over it ?? :lol3
    mikegc likes this.
  17. mikegc

Oddometer:
    :lol3I had the same thought when I guy down in Mexican Hat said, "You outta do the Moki since you're here." That was back in the '90s.

Mike
    ozmoses likes this.
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    You should also check out Muley Point (at the top of the Dugway) when you are in that area. Amazing views.
    JN06MuleyPointPD.jpg
    Trip Hammer, lvscrvs, Dillard and 4 others like this.
  19. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. That's where I took my avatar. The road is still not paved.
    IMG_2419 muley2.JPG IMG_2321.JPG
  20. mikegc

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^
    Dang, Bomose, you nailed those photos!

Mike
    Dillard and bomose like this.