Valley of the Gods, Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BlairP, Dec 28, 2018.

1. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mike. I've camped there twice. Once there was a full moon. I hardly got any sleep because I was walking around just taking in the beauty of that place. The colors around the Mexican Hat area are fantastic. I first went through there in 1981. Never get tired of it.
    IMG_2357.JPG IMG_2313 wow.JPG IMG_3134.JPG
    klaviator, Dillard, KryzHatch and 3 others like this.
  2. Malamute

Malamute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, you are doing exactly what I intend to with my 84 shovel and sidecar. Been away from riding a long time, but am getting back in the saddle again.
  3. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bomose, gotta tell you, a friend of mine who used to ride (still has a Harley) asked last night when I was going to give up riding. I replied, "I'm already researching my next machine. Right now, a KTM 790 R and the Yamaha Tenere T7 has my attention." His response was, "Who makes KTM?" This morning, I copied your photo at Muley Point and sent it to him.

Mike
    bomose likes this.
  4. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always tell people it means Kawasaki Touring Machine. Even the DMV can't get it right. They keep putting it down as a KTM Aeromach. That's an ice cream truck. I know what you mean about a new bike. Need something lower and lighter that can still do distances comfortably. And I still want to do dirt roads. May have to have the KTM lowered or get one of those you mentioned.
    mikegc likes this.
  5. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    DSCN2123.JPG DSCN2122.JPG DSCN2118.JPG

Rt 261, that runs south from Rt 95 is paved up to near the overlook at Moki Dugway. It is not paved from the overlook south towards Rt 163 & Valley of the Gods. It is graded now and in much better shape than several years ago when I took the Harley down it. The downside is that with the improvement of the road there were more cars and even RVs on it when I had the Africa Twin there last year.

The road to Muley Point is not paved and can be rough depending on weather conditions. It gets rutted pretty bad after the rains but the scenery makes it worth a try.
    bomose likes this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I can never get enough Utah. Great shots!
  7. BlairP

BlairP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the road up the face is "kind of" paved. Some of the corners have some asphalt, but it's mostly hard-packed and with some gravel. It's really not bad at all. We've done it a bunch - even some guys on hardtails and it's nothing to be concerned about
    mikegc likes this.
  8. Malamute

Oddometer:
    Im curious about more details of the hardtail bikes, what frame, what front end length, wheel/tire size/type etc.

I went all sort of places on my 47 in the hardtail for a year or two around N Az. I only found 3 cracks in the frame when I put it back in the swingarm frame. :)
  9. BlairP

BlairP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All shovelhead or sportster hard tails - and all younger dudes who don't mind stingers and complete and utter physical discomfort. Everybody thinks choppers are sweet until they ride one for any extended period of time - like for an hour... suspension is a blessing from the gods.
    Malamute likes this.
  10. Malamute

Oddometer:

I rode one for a year or so. Right after swapping frames to the hardtail, I did a 1400 mile ride. First stopping point was 400 miles. Second was another 500. I was going to stay with some guys I knew,...got there, nobody was around, I thought Id make a few more miles before stopping. Ended up going the rest of the way, so a 1000 mile day on the hardtail on I-40. I was early 20s, which accounts for a lot in body and judgement. I did have a piece of sheepskin on the seat though. :) It was a Drag Specialties Scorpion seat. Surprisingly comfortable on the hardtail, though I think I ran 15 or 20 lbs of air in the back tire, and the tall Arco tire.

I toy around with the idea of a hardtail for a fun around town bike, maybe with a shovel lower and pan top, springer front end, Just a short ride bike. In general though, yes, suspension is a good thing. Looking into what I can do to make the most of the 84 FX suspension, front and rear, to make it as comfortable as I can for my bent up body.
    BlairP likes this.
  11. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the photos...

Been more than five years since I rode Moki and VofG.

Time to return.

NFE
  12. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Golden oldie from the Valley of the Gods road. Like No False Enthusiasm, it time to go back.

[​IMG]

Mike
    Trip Hammer likes this.