1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of a 78 Kawasaki KH 400

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Bikerboy108, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on a value here..Good shape ..put in covered storage running 13,000 miles

IMG_6529.jpeg IMG_6530.jpeg IMG_6535.jpeg IMG_6536.jpeg
  2. yamty175

yamty175 Five Gallon Pails.

Oddometer:
    Re-post in the Old's Cool main forum, for some good advice- way busier over there.
  3. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    A Kaw two-stroke triple, running, should bring primo prices.

I had one, LONG time ago...dumbest thing I ever did, bike-wise, was sell it for three figures. You need SERIOUS advice. Aside from the dust and patina, that looks remarkably well-preserved, and should bring $$$$.

Actual figures, you will have to get with research. But start high. There's a tremendous market for those...we'll never see them again...
    spo123 likes this.
  4. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    I would figure somewhere around $8,000 or so. Hot item right now. Look on eBay to see what they are selling for.
  5. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    I asked my buddy who knows these, he said $3k or less. I was way off.
    spo123 likes this.
  6. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. My son had a '76 Suzuki GT550 2-stroke triple in that same condition - very nice. Sold it for about $3200, IIRC.

I'm guessing the 400, in general, would be less desirable than the 500 or the 750, which have a real 'rocketship' reputation.

Still, that looks like it'd be a neat one to own!
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I was gonna say that. 8000.00 brings a nice triple ready to roll.
    Although a fully restored 1969 500 Triple "could" bring 25K. While a 1974 500 Triple wont bring anywhere near that much.
    sparkingdogg likes this.
  8. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    I would say $2500 at the bottom, $4K at the top. The spread is based on how original the bike is and its operating condition. It is obviously missing its airbox. Can't tell if its oil injection system is intact and the condition of things like chain/sprocket, brakes, tires, swingarm bushings, steering head bushings, etc. Can't tell what its steering stops look like and whether there are any signs that it has been significantly down and repaired.

The biggest swing in my opinion is its running history. Unlike 4 strokes, 2 strokes can suffer significant problems due to sitting. Crank seals are prone to drying up, unless a bike is regularly run. 2 strokes which have sat for long periods of time can be time bombs when put back into running service with their crank seals failing shortly after they are resurrected.
    sparkingdogg likes this.
  9. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    I bought one like this in Winter 2018:

[​IMG]

... and sold it like this about 6mos later for $3600. Everything new or refurbished including complete engine rebuild and rebuilt crank, new pipes, tires, cables, brakes, seat, shocks, etc, etc. Of course, it was a "resto-mod", and not completely original, so certainly less valuable than a 100% stock bike in similar condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it's been sitting for a while, it's gonna need a crank rebuild.

With a fresh engine, thorough detail, rust-removal, replace all consumables and an airbox you might see $5500 if the pipes and paint really are as good as they look. Depending on what you paid for it, it may be difficult to break even unless you do ALL the work yourself including the engine.

As is, maybe $2000-2500 tops if you can find the right buyer.

Even though, the 400 is the "best" of all the triples, it just has nowhere near the value of the 500 and 750.

I had fun with mine, and even though this particular model holds deep sentimental value for me, I put it up for sale as soon as I was done with it and bought this:

[​IMG]
    Scoozi, Bucho, Dauer and 1 other person like this.
  10. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why is the kickstart lever missing?
  11. Dauer

Dauer Kicking names and taking ass

Oddometer:
    Well done sir. RD350LC, on my list for sure. Canadian import?
  12. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $2000-$2500 seems about right to me. The 78 was the last year of the 400, last of any two-stroke triple, but I believe value is lower than older ones, and nowhere near the H1 or H2. Anybody old enough to remember when Kawasaki was closing out the KH400? I remember it, and the price was amazing. I think they sold the last ones at $1,000 or so. Kawasaki abandoned any support for triples right away, so parts situation sucked even back 40yrs ago. I still have a H2 I've owned 41yrs.
  13. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    That has stopped me buying a few bikes, the last was only last week.

I saw a non running Honda MXV250f without any body work, carbs or airbox for $100.

In hind sight I should have grabbed it just to have a V3 2 stroke engine sitting on the wall of my shed, but it sold when I decided that would be cool.

I almost bought a pair of KR250 project bikes at a swap meet once, but the guy was just way to keen to make me take them away.:lol3
  14. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    Nope. It's a JDM 4U0.

... and honestly, I didn't have any trouble sourcing the parts i needed for the KH400.

Obvs no dealer support, but tons of used/NOS parts on ebay, repops etc.

Certainly if I was trying for a concours resto it would have been difficult to find some esoteric bits, but for what I was doing it was no problem at all.
  15. Wrongwaydarn

Wrongwaydarn n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you still have your triple?? If sold and you dont mind passing along what you got for it. I have a original 76 that should be running soon
  16. ScottMalv

ScottMalv Stay Thirsty!

Oddometer:
    i had one in the mid 80's, paid $1000 from a dealer. same color and all. loved it but plugs always fouled at the worst time possible.

still wish i never sold it.