Valve Adjustment on a 1290

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by wiseblood, Aug 16, 2018.

1. wiseblood

wiseblood 100% "That Bitch" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup — that’s what I use. :thumb
    ls6777 likes this.
  2. wiseblood

wiseblood 100% "That Bitch" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I replaced all the plugs. Yeah — maybe they could go more, but they’re pretty cheap, and it’s not always easy to diagnose a problem which comes from a failing plug.

Air filter is stock/paper. Recently replaced (mid June). I had a foam pre-filter on my 950. Maybe I’ll look into that.
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pre-filter is not something you want on a Super Duke, it will restrict power. Look into just a replacement filter. I like the Uni-Filter oiled foam. So far it has held up great and has kept my 1090R very spotless. Plenty to choose from.
  4. ilmothefinn

ilmothefinn Last snail in the coffin

Oddometer:
    It was in winter 2016-17 we decided to look at them - maybe out of curiosity. Bikes had about 12 000 and 13 000 kms on them so it was a bit early maybe. But intakes were at 0,10 on both bikes and exhaust valves at 0,15 (2014 orange) and 0,20 (2015 black) so it was proper time to make adjustments. So we aimed at 0,15 intake and 0,30 exhaust clearances - had to get 2 sets of shims, the other goes from 1,85 to 3,2mm in 0,05 steps and the other from 1,875 to 3,175mm in 0,05 steps - they barely were sufficient for 2 bikes (got them from our KTM-dealer: www.pro-x.com). A lot of micrometer measuring... We had new spark plugs but didn't replace them the originals were so good. Cam chain tensioners felt somewhat peculiar in my hands so I ordered and installed new ones - but that was just based on a feeling.

Because I am somewhat clumsy and need plenty of space I removed the radiator, so changed the coolant also - and there is the only thing I remember pondering: the service manual pointed into a wrong screw (p.228), the bleeder one is the other one at the cylinder head side (US models may have a hose on the other that goes into carbon canister). So, I thought that is the reason I had to fill up the coolant 3 times when those bikes were brand new... maybe the factory skipped the bleeding process? Anyhow, properly done there wasn't any need to fill up afterwards.

Now, we have about 23 500kms (22500kms on the other) on our bikes so in a few years coming we have to relearn that process again! I think the first one is always important people say that the changes will be smaller in future.

I somehow remember that wireloom mess on the engine... But take your time!

Oh, yes... I like the Unifilter too - and like to use the Motul air cleaner oil with them - it's sticky as whatever, I am sure it will not go anywhere from that filter any time. Only thing is that it is an impossible task to clean without Motul air filter wash that is designed for the purpose and is some kind of aggressive detergent. So, better use good detergent resistant gloves with the work.
  5. Kiss

Kiss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.png

Very good write-up Wiseblod, nice pictures too. Congratulations!

30.000km on my Adv.1190 2013, I wanted to do my valve adjustments myself but I finally went for KTM dealer. The guy told me that 6 were out of specifications, he never saw something like that before. For few seconds, I questioned myself whether he did it correctly. Now, I don't feel any power difference but noise is a for sure different.

Reading your post, I discovered this Initialization Run. Is that something usually done by KTM dealer after valves clearance?

It looks so easy to do. I'm thinking to do or redo this Init Run myself. Any pros or count here? Is this feature available for Adv.1190 too? 1190 owner's Manuel does not mention it.