1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Van Isle ADV rider's sign in...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by longwaytim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nibbets

Nibbets n00b

Oddometer:
  2. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome-Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    BEYOND SAHARA: Riding from Cairo to Cape Town / A Documentary Film
    Looks like an interesting reason to revisit a high school I took a course or two at many, many moons ago...awaiting when someone can answer the phone to see about some tix for myself and "the better half"...Nibbets..maybe wear your helmet so I can find you easily and say "Hi, I'm yatman...wanna ride sometime?"
    Cool link Flying_Celt...much appreciated..you wearing your helmet too?
    "the better half" bought us tix to ride up to Duncan to listen and meet Charlie Boorman when he was on the Isle a few years back...whataway to make a sweet living he's discovered eh?
    Cheers all Van Islers
    yatman

Nibbets likes this.
  3. Nibbets

Nibbets n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great show, yea if you make it yatman, look for the guy wearing red and green tartan scarf.
    Cheers Bob
    yatman likes this.
  4. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    we got our tickets...shall look for the scarf....I'd LOVE to wear my Super Helmet 7 (anyone remember?--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ELTHpUQN2k ) but "she who must be obeyed" I KNOW would forbid it--'cause she'll be with me...but if you see an attractive blonde with a derpy, swarthy (ie. dark complection), handsome, under height for body weight couple...then that's us....Or A SUPER HELMET 7 ( so cool )
    yatman Wyatt or y@
    Nibbets likes this.
  5. Flying_Celt

Flying_Celt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will look for the tartan scarf as well. See you fellas there.
    Nibbets likes this.
  6. Flying_Celt

Oddometer:
    Wow - huge turnout. A little harder than expected to find people! What did everyone thing of the film? The Egypt run didn't make me want to run out and do that trip anytime soon.
  7. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have the Time, Money, and support then any ride is an adventure. The exotic locations have their allure but also their downsides and you HAVE to be able to get to help if/when you need it...even if for someone else. I once used almost all my gauze, tape etc. to help a few people in a vehicle roll-over in Mexico...lots of people looking around but no one seemed to have ANY First Aid supplies nor know how...but sure a trip with a group, support vehicle...sounds like fun...it was worth the price of the tickets.
    Enjoyed it.

yatman
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    First ride of the season, we tried to do the Cook Creek loop but were turned back due to snow..

[​IMG]
    My main bike starts the season at over 217K on the clock + a few k more from when the clock was not functioning due to a broken sender cable..
    [​IMG]
    Have not ridden it for 8 months, clean for the start of the season... Plan to take her to Tuk in the middle of summer..
    [​IMG]
    On the way to Cumberland for lunch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We got farther than I thought as the road had been bulldozed and then had a small snowfall on top..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looked much worse up ahead so we decided to turn around here rather than trying to muscle the bikes around in the deep stuff..
  9. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's our buddy M liking the 1090? You talked him into it didn't ya?
    I wouldn't have thought Cook Creek still had that much snow.
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Nope he bought the 1090 all on his own, I'm more of a smaller bike fan... M took the little bike as we anticipated running into snow... Much easier to handle a little bike in the slop than a 500 lb beast..
    Argus16 likes this.
  11. Flying_Celt

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride up to Tuk this summer. Any other Islanders planning to do the same? I am planning to leave on the 27th July on the PH Ferry.
  12. 32vsnake

32vsnake Now I lay me down to sleep

Oddometer:
    Been toying with the idea of heading north to TUK in June or waiting and heading south to Mojave in Sept/Oct. We were in Inuvik during September a couple of years ago and the weather was a little chilly but mostly dry.

edit.. my mind wandered :)
  13. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading up from Nanaimo june 29th. 20 days to play
  14. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Anyone done this trip?

http://www.vancouverislandgrandloop.com/

I've done a fair bit of the east coast portion just riding around, but haven't tried the rest of it yet.

Some of the travel times seem a bit long, especially when you consider that I could do the Renfrew Loop AND ride up to Campbell River in a day easily.
  15. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    to answer your query ToothDocJay....have done a fair bit of "this route" Vancouver Island Grand Loop via the three (or is it four) North Isle rides

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ni-ride-2017-aug-4th-to-8th.1235437/page-3#post-32936965

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-july-29-aug-1st.1156975/page-2#post-29911774

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/north-island-ride-2015.1093020/

which has lead, organized, by 'gunnerbuck' over the years...Great rides, great people, a great time...have posted a few for you to review...also have chunked it out on other multi-day trips but to answer you directly --this feller has not done this full loop as advertised in one long go....this Isle presents some of the best riding for dual sport types....welcome, enjoy, hopefully we can connect somewhere sometime. Just insured yesterday and looking forward to "gettin' out there"
    Cheers
    yatman
  16. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    When the Grand Loop was first posted it had some sections included that had been deactivated for many years... I got in contact with B.B. and he swapped them out, so as far as I know the route is passable, most of the roads in it are mainline so they should be in good shape...

What it comes down to is one should preride the route to make sure it works before publishing...
    Nibbets and tbrown-bc like this.
  17. Nibbets

Nibbets n00b

Oddometer:
    Saw this when it was in Victoria last month. awesome ,

Tickets &event info at beyondsahara-nanaimo.eventbrite.ca

Attached Files:

18. Nibbets

Nibbets n00b

Oddometer:
    teaser trailer
  19. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Haven't done a lot of gravel, maybe 50-100 at a time on road trips, but nothing off road. My ride for this stuff is a DL1000 Vstrom, so if i plan on something like the Grand Loop, I'm going to do with several other riders so we can help each other out if need be (ie. dropped bikes). Otherwise I ride around the Island until June then take off for a couple of weeks to some destination.

This year we are going back to the Interior and south central BC to ride around. Mostly pavement, the odd logging road.
    00Buck likes this.
  20. 32vsnake

32vsnake Now I lay me down to sleep

Oddometer:
    Semi-finalised my travel plans, ditching the idea of heading north to Tuk this year. Leaving Victoria around Sept 14th and headed south to the Mojave and Death valley area for 30 days.
    00Buck, cosworth and longwaytim like this.