Van Isle ADV rider's sign in...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by longwaytim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I will need to make of point of getting up and riding around the North Island this year! :)
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Some great riding to be had if the weather gods co-operate..
    [​IMG]
    Raconnol and longwaytim like this.
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Yesterdays ride
    [​IMG]
    Big trees, stopped by snow in Strathcona park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stopped for a nice lunch here, temps were very high so the snow and shade were welcome..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Turned around again by snow, not for long, things are melting fast
    [​IMG]
    MT Alston
    [​IMG]
    Water levels are up on the White River
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was in for some fantastic vistas up the Moakwa Valley... I usually take the time to ride into this place and just sit a while
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Next weekend this snow should be gone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Another Milestone for my old relic..
    [​IMG]
    Adams River
    [​IMG]
    Last shot of the day, homeward bound through the Adams Valley..
  4. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures David. I managed to edit some of my back-log of video, but not certain I want to put it up in this context... no beautiful snow covered vistas.

This is a bit north of Duncan, and includes some footage of the Lenora/Tyee mines on the north side of Mt Sicker (not much left that was the start of 1900s). It was a good/fun ride, suitable for most light dual-sports or competent riders.
    00Buck and HellSickle like this.
  5. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Which road into Strathcona did you get stopped on? Was that up past Buttle Lake?
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Upper
    Upper Gold river side
  7. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Looking at doing a ride n camp next weekend, weather pending... The usual bear watch tour.. Leave from Campbell River Friday 28th evening, return on Sunday if anyone is interested post up..
    [​IMG]

EDIT...Change of plans, the weather forecast is calling for showers on Saturday night followed by rain on Sunday, Will postpone this a week..
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The weather screwed up the bear watch trip a month back, so last weekend Tom came up for a ride and camp trip.. We camped on Saturday night near Woss, rode in and hiked up a mountain then rode out and camped Sunday night at Anutz lake ... We headed for home on Monday.. We pretty much had perfect weather though the nights were cold..

[​IMG]
    Nice evening on the banks of the Nimpkish River
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A nearly full moon and a river full of jumping salmon, good recipe for bears..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Later on we heard some rocks moving and shone the light across the river, sure enough there was a bear 150' away headed toward the shallows to fish..
    [​IMG]
    Next morning heading up, this is our target mountain for the day..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We had a slide blocking the road, but after a few minutes of engineering, we were able to roll the logs off the trail and make a flintstones ramp..
    [​IMG]
    It worked as planned and we were able to continue on..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is as far as we could ride and then it was on foot..
    [​IMG]
    A last look down the valley at the fog bank that shrouded our campsite.

To be continued..
    HellSickle, Serp, Chilipepper and 2 others like this.
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Up,Up and Up..
    [​IMG]
    We climbed around 1000' through steep timbered slopes
    [​IMG]
    And then broke out on alpine plateau..
    [​IMG]
    This is the pretty lake at the bottom of the rock field..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Up through the valley we can finally see the summit..
    [​IMG]
    Looking back from the start of the rock field..
    [​IMG]
    We discussed how so much rock had come down this chute, perhaps the 1700 mega quake played a role..
    [​IMG]
    1/2 way up the rock field looking back..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hazy towards Woss lake, I think some of the North Island wild fires are still smoldering..
    [​IMG]
    A view from the ridge line..
    [​IMG]
    Looking toward the second summit..
    [​IMG]
    Up on top..
    [​IMG]
    It looks like all the summits to the north were once the flank of one giant mountain
    [​IMG]
    The bikes are somewhere down there, 3000' below..
    [​IMG]
    Tom on the edge with Tarn nation in the backdrop..
    [​IMG]
    This is looking over the North East side of the Summit, A long way down.
    [​IMG]
    A good drop for some of those bat suit jumpers
    [​IMG]
    Time to head down to make it back to camp with enough daylight to set up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Going down is easier on the lungs, but harder on the body, especially the knees and thighs..
    [​IMG]
    To be continued..
    ADVwxyz, shuswap1, zelig and 2 others like this.
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Another shot of Woss lake.
    [​IMG]
    And back down to the plateau with all the tarns and lakes on it..
    [​IMG]
    From the lake at the bottom of the boulder field we headed towards the next larger lake..
    [​IMG]
    The summit we just climbed and you can see Tom on the other side of the lake, giving his feet some love..
    [​IMG]
    We were really lucky to have such a nice day for this..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The next tarn in line, there is a cluster of about a dozen in a small area..
    [​IMG]
    And back to the bikes, the fog from earlier in the valley is now long gone..
    [​IMG]
    Our new camp for the night, Anutz lake... Chris and Jaki joined us and cooked up a wonderfull dinner, steak ,chicken, salad and potatoes..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We sat around the fire till late into the evening..
    [​IMG]
    And woke to a cool crisp Monday morning.. A bit of an iced saddle..
    [​IMG]
    And a cool mist on the lake..
    [​IMG]
    Last shot before I headed for home, thanks to Tom, Jaki and Chris for helping make for another wonderful weekend..
    ADVwxyz, HellSickle, shuswap1 and 2 others like this.
  11. StromB

StromB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice one guys. I'd been meaning to get up north this year but never got to it in time. I can actually see myself doing this now, after the WABDR and the recent ride with Tom! Next year....
  12. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more pix from the same weekend/ride. I started a day earlier (Friday PM vs Sat PM). First night was on the side of Heather Mountain, about 1000m up. It wasn't warm, but it had the driest air of the 3 campsites.
    [​IMG]
    If I've got the math right, that horizon is about 70-75 miles away (110+km). Nitinat river is flowing out under the clouds on the left, and Cowichan Lake is out of the frame down the valley to the left. As the moon came up, the winds turned to inflow and we watched the clouds flow onto lake Cowichan.

Saturday morning was a quick hike up Heather Mountain.
    [​IMG]

I believe this is Heather Lake, it it might be bike accessible. Strange lake on top of a hill!? Directly past/over the lake might be Mt ArrowSmith.
    [​IMG]

We didn't stick around long, as I had to make time for the long ride to meet David near Woss with enough time to setup the tent before it got dark.

David covered the Sunday Mt Ashwood climb, I'll just throw in a few pictures showing him:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As David said, the climb wasn't that bad (find your pace, take little steps) ... the descent was harder on the body.

The original schedule had me running for home after the hike. I was never sure that was going to work, and when David said some friends were camping Sunday night I made arrangements to stay out another night. Sitting around a fire with Chris is always a good time, even if waking up in the morning wasn't.

[​IMG]

Yes, it was cold, but not intolerably so, and the days were great! Condensation was bad on the last morning. Apparently we would have been wiser to rig a tarp over the tent or camp under the trees.

It will be day-trips only until next year :(

Thanks to James and David for great hikes!

-Tom
    shuswap1 and Serp like this.
  13. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome-Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    t-brown-bc & gunnerbuck
    Great RR lads, very nicely done.
    Please help me do this very thing sometime before too long.
    Shall show 'Marlene' your epic finish of having your good friends connecting and staying (and feeding you)...as always...
    Am impressed.
    This would/should be published as a selling point of VanIsle dual sport riding/hiking/tourism...you show off our home is a very beautiful way.
    Cheers lads
    yatman
    Flying_Celt likes this.
  14. MRCL

MRCL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were driving a gray pickup this past Friday heading to Bamfield when I passed two dual sport bikes just outside of Port Alberni. XR650 and a DR, didn't get their names but I thought it was awesome they're out and about considering the weather. Wet in the morning, but dried out in the afternoon.

Sound like they're not on the form but thought I'd post and see if somebody knew who they were?

I plan on riding the bike to Bamfield next spring, probably several times.

Cheers
  15. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone from the Island planning for Tuk in 2019? Made it this year but didn't get a pic of the Arctic Ocean sign. Gotta go back and get it! 20180704_173755.jpg
  16. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    It will be a while before I go back out there again.. If time constrained, I likely would not bother riding past the last of the mountain ranges on the Dempster as that for me was the Hi-lite of the entire route.. In the years to come the condition of the road from Inuvik to Tuk will only get better as the cycles of fill will eventually plug up the boggy sections... It would be nice to ride it again one day when the sun is out and not during the constant drizzly conditions we had to get the full effect of the scenery.. I have a couple ideas for our 2019 treks, both don't involve travelling farther north than middle B.C.

[​IMG]
  17. Flying_Celt

Flying_Celt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSC_0646.JPG lidkTQtER+W1ufl%VBdYog.jpg

It was awesome...I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    Argus16 likes this.
  18. Flying_Celt

Flying_Celt Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My video blog...sorry it's quite long. Before anyone mentions it... yes I did the Glamping version of the Dempster with spouse and very comfortable RV. Panniers were in the RV for the gravel - which was a luxury. Might have made the difference as I ignored all the advice I heard about not riding the Dempster in the rain.
  19. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading out August 14ish for 3 weeks.
    The other 2 inmates I'm going with already went to Tuk this Summer so... I think we are going to take our time getting to Dawson (Gang Ranch, Stewart/Hyder, Canol Road)
    Hopefully Telegraph Creek (bad fire) as well. Game time decision once we get there... fires and weather dictate everything.

I'll be on my VStrom along with a 1290R and a 950.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  20. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This year was a solo trip. Don't get me wrong it was fantastic, but I sure missed my riding partner. Next year she'll be right there with me on her f700gs.