Van Isle ADV rider's sign in...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by longwaytim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Watch for upcoming rides posted here and also sign up to Pacific Dualsport riders Facebook group..
    ADVwxyz and krmtclml like this.
  2. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Been slammed...
  3. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  4. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    signed up! supporting the trails.
  5. Uncle Evil

Uncle Evil Island Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm not a husband wife team , but I am planning to head to Tuk this summer Mikeb99 .
    Have you decided on dates yet ?
  6. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the "technical" end of the ADV spectrum: I've been doing some volunteer work (clearing) out the Tansky recreation area, and since we quit early I got to go do some exploring on Sunday. AFAIK, Tansky is the only public area on the south end of the island where off-road riding is officially allowed/welcome. There are some fine trails in there.
    Serp and shuswap1 like this.
  7. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I am glad somebody is getting out, the back country loops up this way are still blocked in, though with the warm up last week it shouldn't be a long wait.. I hiked the local hill on Sunday and there is still 15" of snow at the viewpoint..
  8. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done, that's a bloody good workout on a DRZ, not really what she's good at.....but can still manage....if you push hard enough!.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff! Thanks for taking the time to share.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  10. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Mad respect for man handling that DRZ through Tansky! That’s a workout even on a proper enduro bike.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  11. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but it isn't really deserved. I've done my share of muscle'ing a DRZ ... I haven't edited the video from two weeks ago, I'd link it if I had. (It just shows that going UP was harder work.) Perhaps Laluwissin will suffice as contrast to show that the DRZ was pretty happy at Tansky. : ) : (

Serp likes this.
  12. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing. I had a DRZ-E for a few years. I never could get the suspension to be compliant in the rocks. Also, when riding at 10-12k', the bottom end torque was really lacking. With the close ratio transmission, I had to gear for either trail or road. I never did ride it at sea level, but I suspect the low end torque would be less of an issue.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Heading out Friday evening for a couple days of riding and camping if anyone is interested in tagging along... Leave Friday at 6PM from the Hwy 19/28 Chevron in Campbell River, return Sunday afternoon..
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  14. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn, wish I could join you, unfortunately this weekend has Spring dance for my one daughter, and two soccer games for the other. Throw Mother’s Day on top of that and I think I might not have a home to come back to if I disappear into the bush for the weekend. (Damn life getting in the way of good riding times) lol
    Have a good weekend, weather is supposed to be good!
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    This thread is too quiet these days, this was from a ride we did a week ago up the Quinsam Valley
    [​IMG]
    Coming down from elevation, we were turned around at the 4000' level by snow..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last one
  16. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Great day for a superb ride. Had a good time. Thanks.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  17. onespeed

onespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey folks
    Live down in WA state I'm trying to contact a guy named Richard Zeller out of Port Alberni we have a motorcycle related business transaction that needs to be completed
    Thanks
  18. SparkyYP

SparkyYP Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I'm considering moving to Nanaimo from Winnipeg for a job opportunity and was just wondering if anyone is from around there or could give a little insight to the riding around Nanaimo? Im riding an Africa Twin. Thanks!
  19. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
  20. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The issue I have with the south Island is the shear number of gated roads, you go back some years before the lands became part of the pension plan group and it was open to the public, not so anymore.. I first ran the TCAT through from Alberni to Comox lake, but after a year or 2 of the route being mostly open the management companies switched to a closed gate policy in effect closing that route to the public.. This is one road that should be annexed by the government and kept open as it once was, it is also a great Adventure bike route, especially around the lake on the Cumberland end. .. I switched the route out of Alberni to use the Horne Lake to Cook Creek connector as the latter section is Crown FSR, but once again the management companies often close off this route now on the Alberni end..
    With the Africa Twin you will be able to extend your range to do some of the North Island routes as once past Campbell River the gates pretty much are non existent..
    HellSickle likes this.