Van Isle ADV rider's sign in...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by longwaytim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. SparkyYP

SparkyYP Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I'm considering moving to Nanaimo from Winnipeg for a job opportunity and was just wondering if anyone is from around there or could give a little insight to the riding around Nanaimo? Im riding an Africa Twin. Thanks!
  2. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The issue I have with the south Island is the shear number of gated roads, you go back some years before the lands became part of the pension plan group and it was open to the public, not so anymore.. I first ran the TCAT through from Alberni to Comox lake, but after a year or 2 of the route being mostly open the management companies switched to a closed gate policy in effect closing that route to the public.. This is one road that should be annexed by the government and kept open as it once was, it is also a great Adventure bike route, especially around the lake on the Cumberland end. .. I switched the route out of Alberni to use the Horne Lake to Cook Creek connector as the latter section is Crown FSR, but once again the management companies often close off this route now on the Alberni end..
    With the Africa Twin you will be able to extend your range to do some of the North Island routes as once past Campbell River the gates pretty much are non existent..
    HellSickle likes this.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of great on and off road riding on the (north) island, almost worth the move for that alone. It'll take a few years before you get bored with the southern half anyway....and then have the north 1/2 to look forward to. Radical patriot that I am, I view public land transfers, giveaways, such as those that occurred in the south, to be nothing short of treason.
    Argus16 likes this.
  5. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently sitting at woss lake after a full day of riding, no gates in site.
    Found a great place to set up camp and other then our group we have not seen another person or vehicle all day.
    North Island is the place to be

IMG_0853.jpg IMG_0839.jpg
    goforth, tbrown-bc and shuswap1 like this.
  6. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about that route. We rode it 8 years ago on the same trip where we ran into you. When we returned 2 years ago, you couldn't get thru.

Is it the timber companies that control these gates? If so, it would be sweet if they could work out a cooperative agreement like West Virginia did with roads and trails on coal company land.
  7. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a huge problem on the south island. The land is private, but the roads were built with tax money on the understanding that the public would have access unless there was active logging in the immediate area. In recent years the logging company have started gating off these roads and the government has been letting them get away with it, despite the protests of various user groups (hiking, ATV, motorcycling etc). Time for the government to show some real leadership on this issue.
    Fishnbiker and goforth like this.
  8. MRCL

MRCL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm heading to Bamfield this Saturday, any updates on road conditions, logging trucks, dusty ...?

Cheers
  9. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you going via Lake Cowichan or Port Alberni? Either way, it'll be dusty but there won't be any residual logging traffic since the United Steelworker loggers are on strike. Since they're on strike, odds are the roads will be rougher. Most of the grading is done for the logging trucks.
  10. MRCL

MRCL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Nanaimo though Port Alberni, thanks for the info.
  11. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great day for a quick ride on the 640. Went for a pavement rip out to coal harbour with a bunch of street bikes and a couple cruisers. Then left them at the local gas station and did a quick gravel loop. Sure is starting to feel like fall, glad I put my liner back in my jacket!!
    4BBD9CA2-A5BC-41E3-9FE5-9F9BB1D698C0.jpg
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    This thread has been very quiet, as of late I have not done much riding and have let the insurance lapse on the bike probably till next year... Have been active on the hiking and climbing, accessing some of the coolest areas on Vancouver Island that you have to work to get to.. A sampler of the last 2 weekends:
    October 26
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nov 2nd
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    roadhammer, Lycan1, Serp and 4 others like this.
  13. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post! I’d forgotten I had subscribed to this thread...
  14. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oliphant Lake area a couple weeks ago. May get out this weekend too

IMG_0841.JPG
    Lycan1 and krmtclml like this.
  15. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0174.JPG

Couple pics from last weekend. All from the Port McNeil and Port Hardy area.
    Sure is a great time ofyear for riding when it’s not raining. Hoping to get some seat time in this weekend, but the weather is changing fast here on the “North end”
    roadhammer and HellSickle like this.
  16. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
  17. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
  18. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer: