Van Isle ADV rider's sign in...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by longwaytim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Others (e.g. Gunnerbuck) would be more expert, but from what I can see of the route, the parts I've ridden (CR to Pt McNeil, and Port Alice to Woss) are all pretty easy gravel... maybe not newbie on a GS1200 friendly, but no problem for a competent rider. The big EXCEPTION being the non-existent (?) bit from Zeballos to Tahsis (and Tahsis to Gold River is _easy_). Yes, easier (more mainline) than the WABDR (not that I've ridden all of the WABDR either). That said, if they've got a GPX route, I'm not seeing it, so I'm just looking at the big picture "map" and knowing I've covered _very_ similar tracks. My experience is largely from Gunnerbuck's NVI rides of years past, and those were designed to be pretty easy.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  2. Jan's husband

Jan's husband Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A question for you islanders, I'm coming over in a week or two to ride and camp around the Carmanah, Walbran area. Is it possible to get from Port Renfrew to Walbran falls, or would I have come in from Cowichen lake?
    Would also love to do central to North island in the summer.

20190802_125046.jpg 20190223_144425_HDR.jpg
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  3. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the roads are ok, you can go north from Renfrew. You'd basically be following the track James and I took in November ( https://tbrown.ca/blog/2019-11-02-03-sunset-dash-2nd-annual/ ) ... but it's been a bad year for roads, and the bugaboo bypass (south end anyway) is a bit steep, was a bit rutted in November (not a problem for good riders on loaded DRZs) and could be worse now. Of course, you can get to Cowichan from Renfrew via multiple paths... so in worst case you'd backtrack and head north on Gordon Main. The names I'm using _are_ shown in Openstreetmap (so, pocket Earth, Gaia, maps.me, and many/most apps -- but not google maps which is useless here for backroads).

If you're two up on a big bike, I'd probably avoid bugaboo and come down McClure (from Caycuse), or follow whatever the normal (car) instructions for getting there are. (I haven't been there... but the connection seems fairly obvious.)

(edit: Maybe update us when the dates firm up, it wouldn't take much arm twisting to get me to dust off the camping gear.)
  4. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was also wondering about the section from Zeballos to Tahsis. Unless someone has put a bridge in recently I’m pretty sure you can’t make it through there. It would be great if you could, as it would save us North island folk a ton of time getting to Tahsis.
  5. Jan's husband

Jan's husband Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply tbrown. Those names sound familiar form all the research I've done. I'm thinking any of the next three weekends, Friday to Sunday, will be checking the weather closely, looking for as little rain as possible. But I know I'm heading into the rainfall capital of the world, I'll give you the heads up which Fri. I'm coming over.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The proposed route is there, the funding is there, but the politics is holding up the actual shovels in the ground to put it through..
  7. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya that sounds about right. It is amazing the amount of roads up here that don’t connect due to company lines. The contractors are starting to connect a few of them, but the number of dead ends is still crazy.
  8. Jan's husband

Jan's husband Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some good info from your blog tbrown, thanks. Tentatively I'm coming over to Swartz bay Fri morning Feb 28th. On Thur I will check the weather for the next few weekends and confirm if I'm coming over on the 28th. You can PM me your # and I will call when I get off the ferry at Swartz bay. Your certainly welcome to come and I would appreciate some local knowledge. I did some pro MX in the 70's and 80's but know there can be limitations of where I can get a loaded DRZ through. Extra help from each other could in handy.
    Cheers, Randy

Attached Files:

9. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    We actually get less rain than the mainland. Weather for this weekend is looking good for you.

:1drink
    Jan's husband likes this.
  10. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome-Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Reading this from Kona, Hi and missing "VanIsle"--'home'....Must reclaim my riding time with some of the great fellows I've met and those to meet for 2020......keep this thread going and try and save some space for the slower, more clumbsy, and awkward riders..like..like a friend of mine...
  11. Jan's husband

Jan's husband Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tripto the isle may be on hold this weekend, weather. Not so good and i'm feeling under the weather myself.
  12. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow inmates on van isle. I was wondering if anyone is in the Duncan area? Looking for a slight favour - perhaps to take a look at a bike for me. Please let me know!
  13. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, check out the LIRC on Facebook. They have members all over this area.
    I am in North Saanich so not quite in the Duncan area. :)
  14. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I just requested to join
  15. Wheelie junkie

Wheelie junkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Victoria, yes the LIRC is a great bunch of folk!
    roadhammer and tbrown-bc like this.
  16. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1504.jpg
    Got snowed on this morning. Up Jordan Main. (Two LIRC Admins)
  17. DirtDagger

DirtDagger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im here in Sidney hopefully will get the the old 1100gs going. Looks like international travel may be out for the summer give me a chance to explore more of the island. Cheers
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  18. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On Mayne island. Plan to get over to Qualicum this year and from there explore north and west. Hopefully in a loop with side tracks and not so much dead-end roads.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  19. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1714.jpg
    Got out with some friends last weekend. Renfrew, Lk Cowichan, Nanaimo Lakes areas. Camped at Fourth Lake. Great times were had.
    Serp and tbrown-bc like this.
  20. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice 640! Got out with a buddy on a new to him KLR yesterday for some North Island fun IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg

Is that the rear fender of a T-700 I see in your pic?
    roadhammer and Serp like this.