1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Van Isle ADV rider's sign in...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by longwaytim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good eye, it is indeed a brand new T7. It was it’s first time in the bush, only had a couple dirt naps. He was pleased with the performance.
  2. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been holding off on getting rid of my 640 can’t make up my mind on a 790 or a t700.
    Need to find a t700 at the dealership to see in person. Might have to make a trip down to spunky’s here in the future
  3. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m still stuck between the 1090 and 790. The Yamaha is simple and reliable but rather underwhelming. I wondered if the 1090 would be too big but one of the guys brought an 1190 last weekend and had no issues at all. Pretty sure the weight issue is in my head.
  4. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had talked myself out of a new bike for this year, but now I have a trip planned to side bay with two guys on 790r’s so that might change my mind lol
  5. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have unfinished business with the Dempster. Made it to within 1k of the circle last time and got beat by mud. I’d like to think my 640 would make it to Tuk and back, but I just don’t trust it enough. A 1090 on the other hand....
  6. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That trip has always been on my bucket list also. My 640 seems to be in good shape but I agree trusting it for that kinda journey might be tough.
    That’s why I was leaning towards the 790. It’s going to have more off road skill then I do, but will be better on road then the 640. The only question mark I have is the electronics. I live 4 hours away from the nearest Ktm dealer and would hate to be constantly trucking it to parksville to have the codes cleared.
  7. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I got a 790s a couple of months ago, in fact just had the 1,000km service done on it. Electronics have not been an issue. Really pleased with this bike!
    krmtclml likes this.
  8. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight, The 790 seems to check all the boxes for me, I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on one, they definitely cost $$$$ but it seems everything does these days. The idea of having one bike that not only hold its own of road, but is also somewhat comfortable on the road is a big plus in my books.
  9. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got out for a 250km north island loop today. Nimpkish lake, Woss lake, Vernon lake, Bonanza lake, Ida lake.
    Got my fill of local lakes lol
    IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    yamty175 likes this.
  10. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just note that any KTM with an "R" attached has the warranty cut in 1/2 to 1 year and 20,000kms. I just about picked up a new 1190 R in 2016 from Action here in Victoria. The service manager told me to ensure I did the first major service within the warranty period as at that time they found issues with the airbox, and some bikes needed net top ends. All covered by KTM, but still, it put me off buying the 1190 and reminded me to stay away from any first model year bike (car, truck, etc.).

BTW after riding all the ADV bikes at that time, and serval rides on each make and model, I ended up picking up one of the few new 2015 Tiger XCXs left in Western Canada. Savage/IMC got me one from Calgary. Over the next year or so, I put on a ton of mods, including lowering the gearing and new springs and valving done by Ellis at STSRacing in Nanaimo. The Triumph Triple is a fantastic motor. Sound is not my cup of tea, so I keep the DB reducer installed on the Arrow Exhaust. However, it is an excellent mid-weight ADV bike and is perfect for touring Copper Canyon in Mexico.

Last year, I picked up a used 2014 WR250R and installed some 20/80 Tires, and I find that bike is a great island bike. Not fun on the highway like the Tiger, but once the dirt and the mud start, it's a hoot. I have also added a Seat Concepts seat, Windscreen and 3G IMS tank, so it is Ok on the highway (+80 Kph), but on the trails, backroads and even around town, it's a fun little bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW if you have not seen this, Lorry does a nice job of comparing bikes.

roadhammer likes this.
  12. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Go with the 790. Best motor I've had. Loads of torque around 4-5k rpm. Far better bike than my 990. Much better off road suspension and ABS that feels good in the dirt.
    roadhammer likes this.
  13. DORTx2

DORTx2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, didn't know there was a van island group on here. I'm in Victoria and I'm riding a tenere 700.
  14. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This T7 per chance? (The one to the left of the beautiful KTM)

IMG_1714.jpg
  15. DORTx2

DORTx2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is not, mine is all black.
    roadhammer likes this.
  16. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent most of Sunday ripping around Saltspring. Nothing too serious, but I also noted the location of some serious single track locations with the locals on pure dirt bikes.
    This time of year the dirt roads are almost perfect, not much deep mud, little dust and no traffic.
    I also took the opportunity to check out a few local beaches and campgrounds along with the usual Hope Hill hill climb and photo stops on the top of Mt. Bruce, Musgrave Landing and Ruckle Beach.
    While the dirt roads were quiet, Ganges, the paved roads and the ferries are busy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Serp likes this.
  17. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All packed up and ready to head out exploring in the morning!!
    IMG_1144.jpg
  18. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike!

Now go get it dirty!
  19. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving at 7:30 tomorrow morning, by Sunday night she won’t be so clean!!
  20. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    So @krmtclml, how do you like Ellis's work on your suspension? :)

[​IMG]