Van Isle ADV rider's sign in...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by longwaytim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I have hit this area many times as a ride and hike, we went back up this last weekend with a larger group.. Jason shot and put together a great little video that showcases some of the beauty we have on Vancouver Island..

Lycan1 and devildogg like this.
  2. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike stolen: this is my son-in-law laws bike stolen out his backyard in Courtenay. Please contact police or myself if you come across it Thanks
    upload_2020-7-10_19-24-30.jpeg
  3. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time for an upgrade. The 640 just isn’t good enough for long pavement hauls.
    IMG_1962.jpg
  4. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. I’m jealous.
    Please provide feed back when you get a chance, and the silly grin comes off your face.
    Enjoy
  5. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The grin got bigger. That engine is a beast! I mucked around the back roads down island and tried out all the settings. So far I’m impressed, trying a little dirt today. Won’t be too gnarly till the bigger bash plate is on.
  6. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I’ve ridden the rninet a couple times. Oodles of torque
  8. IanInCalgary

IanInCalgary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be moving to Vancouver Island in the near (I hope) future. I currently have studded tires for some of the off-road winter riding that I do. There are only a limited number of locations near Calgary that permit studs in the winter. Are studded tires permissible on Vancouver Island's off-road trails?

Ian
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I don’t think that the issue of having studs ever comes up for off pavement routes on the Island, so I have not heard of any rules against having them..The limiting factor in getting backcountry here over the winter is more running into deep snow with elevation gain rather than ice..
    IanInCalgary likes this.
  10. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks, looks like I will be in Campbell River this coming week , I am considering coming on my 1090R and staying over a couple of days to explore some dirt roads, any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks
    David D
  11. roadhammer

roadhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You want to talk to @gunnerbuck, he's the expert up there.
  12. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    On Wednesday it’s my last day in the Vancouver area. As a final ride, I’m debating on riding the ~280km loop from Victoria to Port Renfrew or doing the shorter 150km out’nback run along the Sunshine Coast Highway between Gibson’s and Earls Cove. All paved roads.

I have already been out to Tofino with my sister and her kids and really liked the visit to the island. We did some hikes and spent a good amount of time on the beach. So this ride will be about the ride itself and not getting off the bike to relax - some picture taking at most.

I would take the 7am ferry for either run, so I could get back to her place in Richmond with enough time to hang out, and do a final oil change before leaving early morning on Thursday to start my 9 day ride home to Ontario. If it matters, I’ll also be riding all the best twisty roads in southern BC for 3-4 days as I make my way east.

Any suggestions on which ferry/island route would be a better final twisty run to do on the Wednesday?

Thanks!!
  13. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question:
    When you say the Gibsons _Earls cove loop, are you thinking Powell river- Comox then down east side Vancouver Island? Long day but certainly achievable, just watch and coordinate ferry times (or you screwed)
    or
    just up and back the sunshine coast?

The Port Renfrew -Lake Cowichan route is very nice one of my favorite rides.
    If I was starting off in Richmond I would take Tsawwassen to Sidney ferry Langford - port Renfrew over to lake Cowichan then up to Duke point and ferry back to Tsawwassen.
    Sorry I have more to add but have to get to work,
    enjoy
    PS Going east Hwy 6 Vernon to Creston,
  14. 2wheellifer

2wheellifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having done the Sunshine Coast in July and the Port Renfrew loop on Sunday I say do the Port Renfrew loop. I’m going to do it again this week in the opposite direction.
  15. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live mid-island and prefer CCW ( lake cowichan - port renfrew, I find less RV’s. IMO
  16. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to you both. I will do the Port Renfrew loop then.

If I was to do the Earls Cove/Gibsons run, it was only going to be an out n back - 75km up and 75 km back.
    And yes, from Richmond I will take the Tsawwassen - Sidney ferry and then do the big loop and return to Sidney for the ferry back.

On a side note, I’m really glad I bought the Destination Highways BC maps, because I’ve seen some pretty cool stuff as a result in the last 2 weeks and will hit up as many of the suggested roads on the Port Renfrew loop.
  17. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Nice place to live!
    I was going to do the loop counterclockwise so the water is on my right as much as possible.
  18. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good plan
    If you have time going East. Take the whistler - Lillooet road carefully. A lot of MC accidents this year.
    Beautiful piece of road Catch it early morning or dinner time to avoid RV.
    Safe travels home
  19. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thank you and that is exactly my plan. I will leave Richmond at 6:30am on Thursday morning to beat the bulk of the traffic heading north toward Lillooet.

Day 1: Richmond to Cache Creek: Richmond to Cache Creek (700km/9hr)

Day 2: Cache Creek to Vernon BC: Cache Creek to Vernon (650km/8hr)

Day 3: Vernon BC loop: Vernon to Vernon (900km/12hrs)

Day 4: Vernon BC to Creston BC Vernon to Creston (900km/11.5 hrs)

Day 5: Creston BC to Calgary (rear tire @ GW: Creston to GW Cycle World (650km7hrs)

Attached Files:

20. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cache creek _ avoid Sundowner Motel.
    Cache creek to Vernon leg:
    _pop down to Spencers Bridge and take Hwy 8 or 97C is nice too to Merritt , Hwy 1 is boring.
    _lot sure what you are riding, but if you don't mind about 1 1/2 hr. good gravel road, Merritt to Quichena is paved, Quichena through Douglas Lake to Westwold is gravel and spectacular.

I'm jealous. I have not been off the Island in a year.

Oh and be sure to stop at the beaches south of Port Renfrew on that trip