1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Van Isle on tour- prep for RTW for charity!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by i_heart_mud, May 21, 2007.

1. i_heart_mud

i_heart_mud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, Van Isle (aka Mitch Rivest) is on a western Canada promotional tour to raise awareness for his charity, Goal:Aid in Afghanistan.

Call out to bikers, travellers, activists, and supporters:

Come one, come all! Organize yourselves and show your support for human rights, education, and real-life experience to be gained from 14 months solo on the road through developing countries!

Mitch will talk about his upcoming travels, and his journeys already completed in making this charity a reality.

Show up on your bikes, hot rods, 4x4s; cruisers, choppers, dualsports, sport bikes, and 'wings. Walk up. Voice your opinion, ask questions, get involved!
    There is no cost, only information, some stories, some laughs and some tears.

Here is some information relating to the promotional tour running from 15 May to 3 June in Western Canada:

WHO: GOAL: Aid in Afghanistan and Mitch Rivest (Executive Director) on his motorcycle

WHAT: a series of rallies to raise support for our cause and boost awareness of the human rights abuses in Afghanistan and the ways in which ordinary Canadians are working to better that.

WHERE/WHEN: VANCOUVER- 1600 15 May, Stanley Park (TV interview)

CALGARY- 1300 19 May, McDougall Centre, 455 6th Street SW, Calgary, Alberta. Grand Kick-off and motorcycle rally

REGINA- 23rd or 24th, venue TBD...tour date and motorcycle rally

BRANDON- 1300 27 May, Staples Business Depot parking lot, 1645a - 18th Street, Brandon, Manitoba1645a - 18th St, Brandon, Manitoba. Tour date and motorcycle rally

EDMONTON- 1300 30 May, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alberta Legislature, 10800 - 97 Ave.
    Edmonton, Alberta. Tour date and motorcycle rally.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VICTORIA- 1400 3 June, BC Legislature, Bellville Street, Victoria, British Columbia. Tour homecoming and motorcycle rally. Meet at Mayfair mall for 1pm to ride to the legislature.[/FONT]
  2. i_heart_mud

i_heart_mud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update for the Regina event:

May 24th, 1pm. Wascana Center, Regina.
  3. i_heart_mud

i_heart_mud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well folks, today's rally (Edmonton) got very little coverage in comparison to the last three rallies, which have all been a huge success. This is our last chance to make a big impression-I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a huge turnout this Sunday- If you're in Victoria or on the Island, tell your friends! Come on down!
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    How is Mitch's trip being financed?
    What funds have been raised for his charity, and where are those funds now?
    How are funds raised to be used?
  5. i_heart_mud

i_heart_mud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahh, good questions! Mitch has re-mortgaged his house and sold his car, so the trip itself is already paid for.

We've received some donations for the charity, which are being held in a charity/business account at a local bank. The funds are only accessible with two board members' signatures.

The funds are intended for direct aid; that is, we are not gathering the funds to disperse to a large aid agency that immediately takes 30-50% of donations for administration and operating costs. The funds will be used directly by people on-site to procure supplies, pay teacher's wages, provide structural support (like electricity and wells for water).

Keep 'em coming! :)