Vancouver Adv Group Rides 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Mar 13, 2017.

?

When would you prefer to meet, and what would you prefer? (Select a time, and the meeting venue)

1. Weekday evenings

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Weekends

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Meet at Steamworks in Burnaby / Similar

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Meet for a meal then the Deeley musem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Whatever, let's meet.

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think, Steve. We have a trailer down in Demming, WA, and the roads that way are pretty specatuclar, I have to say. I want to wait for my actual photo-id licence to arrive before I go over the border, even though I have Nexus.

All that said... I am really glad to see the sheer number of responses. We have an actual group! Keep the thread alive, and we'll plan for a day (I'm thinking June, before the lumbering motorhomes hit the road in herds...)
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sure.

I'll add that, now pushing 57, 40+ years of hockey behind me, my re-entry to dirt bike activity brings back the best of memories, but my physical activities have taken their toll. As a result, my dirt bike riding has taken on a distinct "body preservation" conservatism, as well as a life long respect for the machine , not wanting to push my bike 8 miles back out to cell phone coverage. My last trip to Baja, Mexico, 60-40 offroad-onroad, I was the only guy who did not crash in 2 weeks, that on a fully laden R100GSPD dinosaur, on the most diabolically bad dirt roads I've ever experienced here. The roadside welders throughout Baja did very well during that run.
  3. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's an active meet-up group out of North Vancouver - BC Dual Sport and Dirt Riders. Also there's the Vancouver V-Strom group on FB, they do a few rides every summer. Dual Sport BC has their Spring Newbie Ride coming up at the end of the month too. Edit: Newbie Ride is now April 30th.
    ommoran likes this.
  4. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!!! I'll look at those. I saw the newbie ride but didn't know about the Facebook group.
  5. ommoran

Oddometer:
    On a related note... commuted by bike today. What a great feeling, to be honest....
    Steve G. likes this.
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Be carefull, I was almost taken out twice on Sunday, we are invisible on the streets at the best of times, worse at beginning of season.
  7. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed! EVERYONE ride safe and like they're trying to kill you. I've commuted twice this week... it was fine both times. I'm SUPER careful 'cause I'm new.

Be especially wary of the ones that won't look your way... like if they don't look that way it doesn't happen....
  8. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Happy weekend!

20170324_185855[2].jpg
  9. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Im down. Would love to travel with some folks through East or West Harrison or any other off-road environment. Let me know! Im free a lot of the weekends. Lets get this going.
    ommoran likes this.
  10. usnbeans

usnbeans Steve T

Oddometer:
    I am in. Moved to Port Moody a few months ago and itching for the weather to improve so I can get my bikes registered and on the road. Not a fan of big group rides. Prefer half a dozen bikes at most.
    Have a K1600 GTL for the all road trips and a R1200GSA for some light to medium off road. (Forest trails and the like)
    Moved here from Atlanta where I rode with 3-4 guys every weekend in the North Georgia mountains, Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the dragon etc !
    Happy to ride alone but company is always good.
    ommoran likes this.
  11. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Who is down this weekend? Harrison Lake. East or West. For ever long or short of a ride. Rain. Shine. There are some really cool stuff to explore out there! Bring the DL, GS...
  12. usnbeans

usnbeans Steve T

Oddometer:
    Would love to ride this weekend but the bikes are not registered. I am struggling with this only registering for 6 months thing !!! When is the right time to pull the trigger and start the clock ticking !
  13. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    It's certainly been an interesting year. I usually keep mine insured the entire year but this year, I wasn't able to ride for about 2 months. I live on top of Sumas Mt. and there was always snow/ice up there.

Typically, it's nice all the way up to end of September. Sometimes it nice in October, too. You never can tell and depends on who you are. It's nice as long as there isn't snow for me!

You should ensure it tonight. Probably the best time. :lol3
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, the right time. I can say that for the last 26 years I start looking to the west in late March for that great sunny blue sky to head north. Clearly this is going to be a late start compared to normal years. By April 1st I've always got my daffodils al it's open by now, not this year. That said I've got collector plate bikes I insure all year but my non collector. Ike's are still idle, including my off-road capable bike. I expect by end of first week of April I'll have one on the road until mid November.
  15. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sister used to live at the top of upper Sumas Mtn road, definitely get an early winter and late spring up there.
    You'll find snow up both west and east Harrison road quite early up the road.
  16. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Yea, I am expecting snow for sure! I'd like to see where exactly — I miss it. Wait... no I don't, ahah.
  17. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also in for some rides this season, allways looking to meet more riders as its really hard to hook up for rides with everyones busy schedules. Late start for me this season winter and work just wont go away. Took this photo on March 29 2016 its looking like it could be another month before it gets that nice this year. vlcsnap-2016-03-29-19h19m51s930.png
    Steve G. likes this.
  18. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

That pic was taken about a mile northwest of my sister's old house.
    filterwrench likes this.
  19. Farves

Farves Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am all set for the commute from Squamton to Van can't wait

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    filterwrench and dustin2 like this.
  20. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like that area seen some development starting a few kms up the hill.