Vancouver area riding

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mblotz, Aug 29, 2006.

1. mblotz

mblotz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i may perhaps have an opportunity to move to vancouver BC. I'm sure its awesome, but have to ask, how is the DS riding close to town. and also how is the full on non plated dirtbike riding? I'm not into track, but love taking the dirtbike to the forest for some trail riding. you know--the KLR for poking around and exploring. then the dirt bike for balls out ripping through the trails.

so--what can i expect locally to the city? I imagine its awesome. coming from CO, where we have some good dry/dusty trails, some even tighter moist trails are what i crave--and more of them. kind of have to drive a ways to find some good riding here on the front range (city)

anyway==please advise
  2. dstone

dstone rode there

Oddometer:
    I'm a native Vancouverite, long time street motorcyclist, and new DS'er. Yes, the city is great.

But back to motorcycling... if you start in Vancouver proper (i.e. not a suburb), then prepare for some pavement before you get to any dirt. Likely an hour's ride or more. Squamish, to the north, is excellent. And many epic all-dirt rides can begin an hour or so east of Vancouver, from Harrison Lake. Expand your radius to 2 hours and you're starting to find some really great country (and less gates).

Two suggestions...
    1) browse the forums at the http://www.dualsportbc.com website
    2) pick up the "Backroad Mapbook" by Mussio Ventures. There's a website somewhere. It's a fairly comprehensive guide to FSRs and lesser paths all around southern BC.

Welcome. And enjoy.

-Darren.
  3. mblotz

mblotz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the advise. takes about an hour to get somewhere good here as well. then you have tons of trail traffic etc. I'm craving some real single track--on motorize cycle, and pedal power cycle as well.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    As dstone said, Vancouver is approaching the status of 'large city', 2.7 million including the suburbs. Depending on where you finally settle depends alot on how far you will ride to get 'off the beaten path'. The Greater Vancouver area has two distinct lines of edge which square off any chance of off road riding. One is the Pacific Ocean. The second is the 49th parallel, the border with the USA. While there is majestic off roading in Washington state, the gravel/single track happens 30-40 miles off the coast, just like south west B.C..
    Live in downtown Vancouver, and you've got yourself an hour due north towards Whistler. The Squamish back hills will keep you very busy. Head further north, and you could go 4 days before you see another town.
    Live in one of the eastern suburbs, and you could be 5 minutes from bush and forest service roads.
    Much like Washington State, the coast of B.C. is rain forest except for 3 1/2-4 months of warm summer. However, 100 miles east is the northern tip of the Sonoran desert. Very hot in summer 110+deg f, cool and dry winter. Very different micro climates quite close together.
    There is one favourite off road track I do, the west Harrison Lake road. Your basic 100 mile long lake, forest service road up both sides, but the west road has 2 wild hot springs to visit. Very cool in the spring, before the 4 wheeled red necks get in there. The east Harrison road has a hot spring as well, but the road generally takes a bit longer for the snow to melt to go to it's end, Boston Bar village.
    There's great riding up Chilliwack Lake as well.
    With regard to non plated riding, we used to play around quite a bit up over Cultus Lake [Chilliwack/Yarrow] up Sleepy Hollow rd, but since the army base closed down, and they've let the forest service road grow over, it's getting tight.
    Tons of riding anywhere east and north of Hope, just wherever you want. Take gas and water, this place is big, it's as big as Washington, Oregon, and most of Idaho, combined!
    Ciao, Steve G.