Vancouver, BC to NY and back! 11870 km in 23 days!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, Aug 14, 2010.

1. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    you are so right about the blend....we needed to make it to NY fast....so this trip was about length and also seeing what we could see on the way. we figure each BIG trip will have a theme or sort of....our next trip depending on where we go most likely will be about distance as well but also more testing the off road capabilities and our skills. Also, less cabin/hotel camping....maybe stopping to smell a rose or two.

Glad you liked the RR....we really had no plan for this trip other then NY. Each day we set the GPS. What I do know is that we are better riders and these bikes can do so much!
  2. hazpat

hazpat cb rider

Oddometer:
    Great RR:clap . I don't know if anyone posted about Browning Mt, but its in the middle of the Black Feet reservation and times are a bit rough there. its alright during the day, but move on before night. Cut Bank is not too good as well. BTW I was in B.C. last July...Awesome:D.
  3. MZfan

MZfan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics and videos. Thanks for sharing! I love those BMW's and it was nice to hear they did well. I like how you went to eat a places on Food Network. I thought about doing that one time.
    -Thanks
    :D:D:D
    :clap:clap:clap
  4. soph9

Oddometer:
    we might do a trip just about the Food Network diners/dives....we only hit two but it was a lot of fun and at the Little Depot the owner took our pic for her wall because she has never met two women on BMW's doing a trip like us! :lol3
  5. cdndog

cdndog lurked more,posted less

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed following along! Couple of questions. Did you complete the entire trip without your glasses or did you replace them somewhere along the line? And second, really impressed with the Heidenaus, did you get them in Canada? And again, congratulations on an impressive ride!
  6. soph9

Oddometer:
    I got my glasses sort of fixed in NY. But I never used them to be honest. I have an astigmatism and really need glasses at night. We never rode at night so sunglasses worked. But having said that I think I need reading glasses now!:lol3

We got our tires from MTR Sports. Rob who owns this company sells in the US as well as Canada. His prices for Canadians are almost at par with the US prices and he lives about 20 mins from where I do. We just picked them up at his house. Rob is a fire fighter by trade and has this company on the side. He also sells many other DS parts and accessories. I am waiting to hear about his prices and if he is able to get in K&N oil filters and what his prices are for semi-synthetic blend oil.

We have our new K60's in the garage but we are waiting to install them for now.
  7. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    Nice pictures and report. Having ridden in WY and MT in June 2009, the wind was my least favorite part. A couple of times when we were parked in WY, we were pretty concerned about our bikes blowing over. I'd love to see some of the places you described in the East, so now I'll have to start saving some vacation... it's a long ride from here on the left coast. :D

As for glasses, I had laser surgery 3 years ago (not only was my eyesight poor, I had an astigmatism in one eye as well) - I can honestly say it's been a blessing on my past couple of extended trips not having to worry about glasses or contacts.
  8. soph9

Oddometer:
    thinking about the laser surgery...do you wear reading glasses now?
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    Too bad any town would have such a bad reputation....in any case...no need to go somewhere when your safety is an obvious issue....thanks for the info!
  10. soph9

Oddometer:
    Just some advise I thought I would share about wearing our under wear...LDComfort

That is indeed your underwear so no cotton boxers or underwear needed and should not be worn. Also, for women, if you can ride in the HEAT/HOT months with LD or any under gear, try not to wear a cotton bra or any bra for that matter. Using under gear helped us and saved us from getting any chaffing, rashes or experiencing any discomfort whats so ever. Just our opinion and what worked for us.:1drink
  11. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Great trip nicely documented!

:thumb
  12. Twistn'roads

Twistn'roads Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR, looks like you both had a great time!

BTW, I'm positive I passed by you two on my way out east on either July 31st or Aug 1st. It may have been in NY, VT or NH. I know, pretty vague but then my whole trip is a blur now! You both were parked at a service station/car wash. I waved as I went by. I was riding the black V-Strom sporting black Jesse's.

~TR~
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....would have been NH or VT....don't recall seeing a V-Strom with Jesse's...we saw so many bikers and like you said our trip is pretty much a blur it seemed to go by so fast. I have to look back at the DVD I made to recall what day went with what state and Province....I miss the road so much to be honest. Been watching the Long Way Around and Long Way Down and man do I wish BMW would sponsor 2 women to take on adventures like that!:freaky

I can dream eh?
  14. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    No reading glasses yet, but I can no longer read comfortably as close up as I used to - my good eye was -7.5, the bad one was -8.75 and an astigmatism. After 25 years of contacts, it is great to not need glasses all the time - I'm not too concerned if I need reading glasses in a few years.
  15. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. I have been wilting away from the heat and humidity down here in Florida all summer and you guys have inspired me to get off my ass and hit the road this fall. :beer
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    where there is a will there is a way! :wink: I am no longer full of apprehension when it comes to the heat or humidity! After this trip....can't say I LOVE that weather but I can manage now. Now....riding this time of year in my area....other than a bit too much of rain at times...is awesome...cool mornings and warmish days! Nice!
  17. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the ride report!! Absolutely amazing! Really makes me want to trade in my current ride for the F650 GS!! Thanks for sharing your ride with us!
  18. brazen13

brazen13 frabjous!

Oddometer:
    The photos of the elk are really great!! And I love the close ups of the birds on the flowers.

That's so funny that your parents wanted to ship your bikes home. Good lord! Can you imagine what that would have cost!? :eek1

Being a New Yorker, yep, the George Washington Bridge. Ugh. And I swear it doesn't matter the time of day, it's always a mess!! And it was such a humid summer here. Really one of the worst, I think anyway!

Great RR!!! Thanks!!
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    the day we arrived in NY..maybe you read in the RR...was the worst day on record. My folks called us while we were upstate to say stay up there for the day and come down on Sunday July 25th. The humidity along the east coast almost killed us....I grew up in NY but man have I acclimated to the west. Heat index of 115 that Saturday and all I can say is staying mentally healthy on day like that was way more important than riding skills.

One day we shall never forget!
  20. soph9

Oddometer:
    cost was not the issue for my family....they just thought we were NUTS! and could not be having fun traveling this way....so naive they all are! :lol3