Vancouver, BC to NY and back! 11870 km in 23 days!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, Aug 14, 2010.

1. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto Vote early and vote often.

Oddometer:
    Great report!!!!
    The NE US was a bear weather wise this summer.
    I was in the Saratoga Springs area most of the summer and it was hotter than Albuquerque most of the time + the humidity...somedays I felt like :kboom
  2. werewasi

werewasi Guest

Great RR and after doing an 8 week 16,000km ride in the States and Canada, I wish i'd known about the Food Network. Can you expand on it.?

What was that big bronze coloured car in your Pop's garage? Looks interesting !!.

A point about carrying fuel in "plastic" jerrycans. You said that you only partly filled them because then there would be expansion room.
    I go out outback in Aus regularly (in my ute since the DR 650 is gone) and carry 7 x 25 litre (nominal) jerrycans. If you only fill them to 4/5 vol and leave an air gap, what happens is that as it gets hot the fuel vapourises easily because of the air space and starts pressurising the container.This pressure lowers the differential between the flash (boil off) and ambient temperature so you accelerate the process.
    A better way is to fill a 25 liter jerry with 20 liters and then press the sides in so that you elininate the air space. Because there's no air, the fuel can't vapourise. Sure the fuel expands, but not to the extent that vapour does.
    The jerry just 'grows' a bit in size and doesn't exceed it's original size by much.
  3. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Here you can check out all the restaurants that have been on the show Diner's drive ins and Dives...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/index.html

We hit another in Everett, Washington:clap

Good info on the jerry can...I'll remember that for next trip! My father owns an Oldsmobile but you know I can not remember if it is a 1957 or 56 super 88 if I remember correctly. Will have to ask him....he wins almost all the shows he enters it but he did not do the restoration...he bought it that way but still feels and acts like he put sweat into the car....like sweating when he penned the amount on his cheque to pay for it!:lol3
  4. soph9

Oddometer:
    Our Northern Way Up Trek will be July to August 2011....Alaska, Yukon, NWT here we come...this trip has to be planned a bit but we will also be taking it day to day as the weather and scenery guides us! Stay tuned!:D
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great R/R.....I recognize many of the places you past or stayed at from my own adventures.
    I would like to know something....In one of your video clips I watched the was a flashing rear light on the back of your bike.....where did you get it or was it just your brake light flashing? Also...Is it legal in Canada, I live in Ontario and am a rear-end survivor.....so I want as much light on the rear to be seen as humanly possible......Cervival herniations are not enjoyable!:cry
    Thanks again for sharing your ride and experiences....excellent!
    BC is a beautiful place to live...I wish....maybe one day?
  6. soph9

Oddometer:
    when using my helmet the LED brake light will always look to flashing but it is not...has to do with the speed of the camera etc...not sure about the techie stuff....however, having said that there are brake light kits that will pulsate your brake light and they are legal...something like this although I don't think they have a set up for the newer BMW bikes...but other models

http://adventuretech.ca/index.php?p=shop
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I have the flashing LED brake light at the moment and it is worth it's weight in gold! I have had many drivers stop at lights and try and tell my brake light is either broken or is annoying...lol.....As long as they see me...I'm good with it!
    I thought you had an extra add-on flashing unit of some sort....thanks:freaky
  8. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed a Whelan TIR 3 police light on the back of my bike.
    http://www.fleetsafety.com/Whelen-TIR3-LED-28

It has several flash patterns, but I couldn't figure out how to get a CA legal one. SO I added a separate controller. The controller died so I just set it on constant flash.

I've never been hassled for it, I Suppose they could, but I figure I'll just accept a ticket every few years as the cost of staying alive. I have no idea if these are legal in Canada, but I seriously don't care if it's legal.

it is INSANELY bright, and was very reasonably priced, totally sealed, and 'sort of' small.

On a clear night, 99% of cars stop 20-30' behind me because it is seriously so bright it will give you a headache if you look at it.
  9. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got to this ride report. I just took my first tour this past summer (only 17 days and 4800 miles for me) and especially understood your disappointment that the ride had to end. I remember our last gas stop before arriving home. We were there for am hour procrastinating leaving. I know all three of us would have kept on going if we only could have. Sigh. Work and family. My dream is to take $10,000 bucks when I retire and just ride until it's gone! M
    aybe a month or three?

Thanks for taking us along on your trip.
  10. Buffalo Cowboy

Buffalo Cowboy LETS RIDE

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading your report & pictures nice well done. was curious about the Bear any story behind it looked pretty close
  11. soph9

Oddometer:
    no story behind the bear....just one or two on the side of the road and thought it would make a Kodak moment....Black bears are all over Alberta and BC...but always cool to see one in the wild no matter how many times I see one....I am such a wild life freak and next year we get to do my dream trip...BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska. Next RR will be totally revamped now I think I know what I am doing...:lol3
  12. bennyblanco

bennyblanco n00b

Oddometer:
    hi!
    last summer was particularly hot and humid, i live in Montreal..
    one of the hottest summer in years,GREAT REPORT!
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    the east coast humidity this summer almost did us in....next year going NORTH~!!!!!!!!!!!! Way North!
  14. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!!!
  15. soph9

Oddometer:
    possibly the gear we will be wearing next summer....just got my KLIM Traverse suit today...and we got some other KLIM gear like Dakar and powerxross gloves and the inversion Jacket...:clap[​IMG]
  16. ChrisZ

ChrisZ Exploring, Not Lost

Oddometer:
    I miss Canada.
  17. SMURPH

SMURPH Longtimer

Oddometer:
    Great RR Cheryl and Leslie! Looking forward to reading about your next adventure.

S
  18. Aidan1150

Aidan1150 Call Me The Breeze

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the interesting report ladies. I enjoyed reading it. :clap

I did a west to east coast to coast ride in the US last summer and the humidity on the east coast was a real shock to someone from Ireland where our max summer temps are around 22C :puke1

It seems that BC riders are like Irish riders and enjoy 15 to 20C conditions. :D
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    you got that right....my perfect temperature is about 15 Celsius....we have less than 5 months to our next departure date and adventure~:clap
  20. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's an LED light/video frame speed thing (I've been told). Every video of my F8GS shows a flashing taillight too. The MCN video of the Triumph/F800GS comparison shows the F8 flashing as well.