Vancouver BC to San Fransisco

Discussion in 'Americas' started by djakefry, Sep 25, 2019.

1. djakefry

djakefry n00b

Oddometer:
    I am looking to set up a nice trip down the coast from Vancouver BC to My sisters Place just north of San Francisco.

I have a nice route mapped out along the coast But wanted to get some input on roads not to miss on the way south?

And any suggestions for the return trip as I was thinking of driving north inland along the east side of the coastal/central ranges.

Been Looking through the various web site but have yet to find a go-to place to look up best routes. Even a suggestion for this would be greatly appreciated
  2. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Do not miss riding HWY 1. When southbound on HWY 101 go west at Leggett CA out to the coast. This is better than any coastal highway in Oregon IMO. A lot of people miss this turn and just stay on 101 to San Francisco. Check out Bend Oregon on your way home on east side of the Cascades.
  3. Hockeydad

Hockeydad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few things to keep in mind...
    What bike are you riding?
    Some of the roads are terrific for sport touring or adv bikes, but can be tiring on a big cruiser or touring bike.
    Shouldn’t be too much fog this time of year, but the coast can be chilly... yet inland a few miles is beautiful sunshine
    Keep an eye on weather report and dress warm.
    From Santa Rosa in, the traffic can be brutal. Roads closer to the coast may take a bit longer but they are beautiful and less traffic.
    Oregon coast is really nice and the best way to do Oregon.
    101 to Leggett and then to the coast highway 1 is also awesome.
    * if you get the chance do a short loop from San Fran to Santa Cruz along the coast and then back up through the Skyline highway - food at Alices Restuarant.
    More later...
    Mark Manley and Fishnbiker like this.
  4. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Waiting on commenting until this is resolved. Did a dozen or more rides from YVR as far as Big Sur ...
    https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Travel/2014-California-Ride/
  5. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed the Lost Coast Road, it starts in Ferndale in Northern California. The road is rough, but the views and country are worth it.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  6. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    When are you planning on taking this trip? We started getting snow in the Cascades last week, so any route that depends on cris-crossing the Sierras and/or Cascades should take weather at the time into account.

There are a lot of nice sections along the coast, but overall, as a riding road, Hwy 101 is not that interesting. As mentioned above, Hwy 1 is much more scenic and you should take that whenever possible over 101. Also, that Lost Coast loop is not to be missed.

Gustavo
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  7. TravisK

TravisK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crater Lake National Park in Oregon is absolutely gorgeous, a "must see" in my opinion
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  8. Little Faus

Little Faus Little Faus

Oddometer:
    Crater Lake NP will be closed in Nov and Dec due to cold and snow.
  9. djakefry

djakefry n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the notes on this, my intention was to drive back to Vancouver BC, in April.
    I have a newish 1250GS - which I am getting used to. Its the first bike I ever owned thats not over 20 yrs old.

I was thinking of definitely going north on highway 1 but thought about cutting over and going up the east side of the Cascades, but it may be too early in the year, re snow and so forth.