Vancouver Island Dualsporting?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RED CAT, Dec 6, 2005.

1. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Ok you Islanders, What can I expect in January for weather on the southern part of the Island. For instance say Lake Cowichan west and south on dirt roads. Was hoping to get out of the cold for a week of dualsporting on the XRL. Alberta will still be -25c then. I heard something about a flower count then in Victoria. Saw something on here a while back about this area being pretty active at the dualsporting end. Flew over this area last summer in my pal's GlassStar and was impressed.
  2. araspitfire

araspitfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'd be a a coin toss as to what to expect... You could get 3 to 8 degree weather, rain (naturally), and low clouds in the area you are thinking of... maybe even clear roads all the way, but expect persistant snow up high... At least along the borders of the roads... Or you could get freezing right down to the coast, and frozen, snow blocked backroads... (but as it does, if it's cold and snow-bound... it'll likely be sunny!) I'd not make big plans to come from Calgary just for biking the interior of The Island in Janurary... But it could be great... you never know... If you are coming anyways, and the bike doesn't take up too much space... go for it.. Al...
  3. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    It's true, winter weather varies greatly on the island. Coastal areas are usually wet while at higher elevations inland, you could find snow and ice.
    Conditions can change from one week to the next and from one valley to the next. We ride year round in the areas you mentioned.

Edit... keep an eye on this other thread for future rides.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105871

Great if you could join us!
  4. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys. How about FEBUARY? Any better? Having trouble with 4 more months of winter in Alberta. Guess I could drive to southern Utah but the Island is so much closer. Got the new 06 XR650L all tricked out and no where to ride. Maybe Tues, its supposed to be 8 degrees C.