Vancouver Island Grand Loop.....Little help please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ToothDocJay, Apr 8, 2019.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    While the backroads on Southern Vancouver Island are being closed off with an ever increasing number of gates, the Northern half of the Island remains pretty much unchanged, with few gated roads and where there is a gate it is usually open.. The difference is that the Dunsmuir land swindle deal never made it past the mid Island.. In hind site it is a good thing that the railroad never made it further north on the Island..
    Lycan1 likes this.
  2. jamesmc

jamesmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the reason I got rid of my more dirt-oriented KLR and got a more street-oriented VStrom.
    My gravel riding areas were mostly around Alberni and Qualicum. It's so bad in Alberni with clearcuts and gates to me it's not worth it anymore. I can still do a few loops
    i.e. Sproat Lake to Nahmint Lake and back along the Alberni Inlet... but really that's about it. Horne Lake to Fanny Bay along Cook Creek Main is still open near Qualicum, but really, the good riding on the Island is definitely Campbell River and beyond. Albeit there is much logging, there are also many great forestry campsites and wide open access.
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Did the final pre-ride to catch the sections that were snowed in several weeks back, and was able to get through... I sent the track file in for processing and will do a TCAT route section write up on it in the near future..

It was our first bit of rain in a while Sunday evening, but lucky I had a 3 hour lull to set up and crawl in the tent before it started up again.. IMG_2431.JPG Sunday night..
    IMG_2439.JPG
    As darkness falls
    IMG_2459.JPG
    First thing in the AM flat, this was my 3rd one this year... Of coarse the damp weather brought out the beastly insects and they fed well while my hands were occupied..
    IMG_2463.JPG Still a nice ride even with the clouds..
    IMG_2469.JPG
    More drizzle up ahead
    IMG_2474.JPG
    Downward from here
    IMG_2476.JPG
    A little rip out to Schoen Lake before trying the Cain/Tsitika loop
    IMG_2478.JPG
    This is a piece of paradise, but there is only a limited number of camping spots so it is often full..
    IMG_2483.JPG
    Did some sidetrips on the Mount Abel side, this was as far as I could go on this road..
    f
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
  6. bambr

bambr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no GPS, picture only?
  7. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  8. goforth

goforth Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gunnerbuck, where is this lake? Looks like maybe Victoria Lake but I have never seen it calm like that.

IMG_2307.jpg
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    This is Anutz lake, it is typically a windy lake during the day, but as soon as nightfall comes and the thermals drop, it becomes quiet and still
  10. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gunnerbuck , been a few years since I’ve done an island loop. Time to change that and go back.