Vancouver Island "must sees"?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MotoGrandpa, Jul 18, 2006.

1. MotoGrandpa

MotoGrandpa advdualsportendurotrials

Oddometer:
    Okay Friends,

If you have a favorite spot on Vancouver Island please let me know. We'll have several days there in October to look around a bit. It will my first trip to the island and it's been years since MotoGrandma has been.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers, MG
  2. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Port Renfrew, directly west of Victoria on the twistiest, tightest logging/coastal road you've seen since OR route 20 Corvallis > Waldport.

Botanical Beach there is one choice amongst three:
    [​IMG]

Other than that, I've surfed/drowned at Tofino, and camped at Green Point campground spot #74 and it's a great spot mid-way between two shitters, two beach access trails, away from the bear lockers and has Direct Ocean Views.

Get into Tofino and find the Crab Dock just as you enter town; it's called that for a reason, and bring those freshies back to your campspot for a butter-drenched delicacy.
    Since you'll be there in October, be ready for some early storms; the VanIsle residents regularly rush out to Tofino or Ucluelet (either are less than 4 hours' drive from Victoria) and watch the storms rage against the shore. The surf is spectacular and deadly, so choose a good Cabernet and watch from the secluded warmth of your steamed-window automobile (with yer special friend du jour...) or get up into a B&B and watch from the balcony. The power and cadence of a raging ocean-borne squall run ashore is not to be missed!

Port Albernie has some surprise old-building murals that are memorable; you'll have to ask around :whistletomyself

Hang around the docks at Oak Bay Marina (back in Victoria, toward UVic campus) on Tues & Wed afternoons and you can be rail meat/crew for any of the local sailboaters in the informal & formal (respectively) club races.

Up-island, I've never ventured except on my boat, so I :dunno nuthin' about the roads that way. Check out any local seaside spot for home-cooked grub; the smaller joints know exactly how their bread is buttered. You'll find fantastic food and local advice galore.

It's all beautiful, and if you're searching for the remotest/secluded vistas, go up into Strathcona and have a blast. It's high country and the vistas are keeper-quality.

Enjoy your stay, and come again in a year after I've lived there/ ridden there more!
  3. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    This is about 10kms north of Gold River. Free camping :clap year round.

[​IMG]
  4. Hippiessuck

Hippiessuck Banned

Oddometer:
    cumberland

backside of comox lake

[​IMG]
  5. TG6

TG6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It really depends on your intrests... There are so many beautiful place and wonderful rides on this island but my likes and yours maybe different. Let us know what you are looking for and we can suggest some places/things to see.. If you want to PM me, I'll give you my cell and you can get in touch with me when you are here and I'll guide you around some...
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    your wife might like Quailcum, lots of nicnak shops, nice beach. good bar/resturant on the beach. if the weather is good a trip to a small island would be cool, it blows time and money though. ( hornby etc)

if your heading to the west coast, check out the water bombers at sproat lake.
    http://www.martinmars.com/

anyone know of some extended dirt routes?
  7. MotoGrandpa

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to all who responded. These are great ideas. We'll be traveling on the GS, but I'm thinking we won't be camping. It's our 30th anniversary and I'd like MotoGrandma around for 30 more! :D

I would appreciate any thoughts on out of the way places, dirt roads, excellent views, places to eat, etc. TG6, I'll pm you for more information also. Thanks for your kind offer!

Cheers, MG
  8. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    You will find what you are looking for in whatever direction you head on the Island. Plenty of everything!
  9. slideways

slideways EspaƱa

Oddometer:
    Quadra Island and Port Alice are both nice rides.
  10. av8tr

av8tr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. MotoGrandpa

Oddometer:
    Hey Friends,

Thanks for excellent tips!

MG