Vancouver-Montreal, backroads stylie, May & June

Discussion in 'Canada' started by maplebar, Mar 26, 2006.

1. maplebar

maplebar soft, doughy, sweet

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    On my 1991 GS, I am blitzing for Vancouver May 1, then turning Right. Hoping to make it to Montreal and beyond. I am intentionally leaving the itinerary pretty wide open to accomodate recommendations along the way, and my whims...with eyes peeled for lakes and rivers and interesting Canadian people.

I'm seeking advice on backroads, small funky towns, epic camping spots, eats that can't be missed, and any and all advice you would be willing to give. Like, will the passes over the Rockies be open in mid-May?

And in the cities, BMW shops for new rubber and bikelove. And cafes with good coffee & wireless access (& cute barristas) to update the blog

'Ppreciate it!
    Kevin
  2. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    When you reach Montreal there are tons of great resto's and places to party. I'll start puting together a list and email them to you.

When you arrive the first beer's on me ! :D

I also can set you up if you need to wrench your bike.. oil change etc.....

Howard
  3. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    a couple of cool towns in BC, nelson, fernie.
    the grand central hotel( remodeled and cool, funky) in fernie is really nice AND cheap outside of ski season, $20 ca last i checked,

the road from pemberton to lillooet is awesome should be no problem re snow but enquire.

there is a back road bc book that rates paved roads, some of BC are the worlds best, in the NW we have had big snow, not sure on the rockies, hiway 3 is awesome.

for bc dirt routes look into
    http://dualsportbc.com/

give a call if your passing by, or have mechanicals issues, or for a cold one I'm not far off I-5, near this
    http://www.chuckanutdrive.com/entrance.html
  4. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
  5. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Thats an interesting concept. Do gravel roads count? Try and stay off the number 1 HWY. Boring, especially east of Calgary all the way to the Ontario border where it gets better. Plan to spend most of your time in BC, the most beautiful part of Canada.
  6. maplebar

maplebar soft, doughy, sweet

Oddometer:
    Please keep 'em coming.
    I will be without GPS but with lots of maps and notes.

--mplbr

P.S. gotta fix that oil leak (push rod seals...I think)
  7. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    I remember visiting the old family farm in Sask. when I was a kid. we took a pic of the turn in the road, we hadnt seen one in hundreds of miles.

just a thought, maybe after bc , look to go north , might find dirt roads, dunno
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's just a shame about the praries. Lovely, but for a motorcyclist, gosh, a whole lot of nothing. Unless you want to make it across Canada just to say you rode across Canada, save your gas money, and time, stay east of Calgary. You will not regret it. There is so much to see/do. Remember, B.C. and the ribbon of great riding of the Rockies in Alberta is bigger than Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana combined!!
    Don't get me wrong, prarie people are great. My Dad's from Saskatoon after all!! I've got a '91 GS like yours. To prepare for a run across the praries, get yourself an IPOD, a tank bag for a camelback bladder to sip coke, and get a GPS to fiddle with along those long endless straight stretches, which will go on all day for at least 2 1/2 days from Calgary to Kenora. Look at the map, it's endless.
    Take in the Maritimes and Quebec on another tour, where you ship your bike out there.
    Ciao, Steve G.