Vancouver Moutain Biking

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gregg Wannabe, May 10, 2006.

1. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Hi guys-

I heard the mountain biking in the Vancouver area is great. My 14 year old son and I would like to come up this July for maybe 4-5 days and explore. We are intermediates and like everthing; easy single track through the mountains, more aggressive techical stuff, downhill, bridges, etc.

Can anyone recommend where we should ride? Please include specific areas and favorite trails. How about ski/mtn bike areas with downhill trails? What is the best bike shop? What area of town should we stay in? Any and all advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Two ambulances parked at the bottom just for you!!! Easy stuff too.
  3. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Well this is what the North Shore looks like this morning from my deck- what do you think about Mountain Biking up here now?
    View attachment 72917

These guys are who you need to talk to
  4. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's probably a good thing. Couple of years ago my son fell off a log at Northstar in Tahoe and wadded it up. Front sprocket pierced his cheek. Later, my wife's foot pierced my a**. She's protective like that.:huh
  5. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That looks just great to me! At least the stuff in the background.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
  7. 98rxcmi

98rxcmi Chrome+Paint=Garage bike

Oddometer:
    Tell your son that is why you need to keep the chain on the "big ring" when you are going fast down hill....I have a bud with a scar on his calf in the shape of a chain ring to help remind him
  8. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I never thought of that. Seems kind of obvious now that you mention it.
  9. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. How is Whistler? Is it worth spending a couple of days there? Right now I'm leaning for a few days there and a few days staying in North Shore and exploring all around that area.
  10. Van Isle

Van Isle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    google the local sights, get a guide book, ride Whistler. There is tonnes to do there, worth many days for all kinds of riding. Shuttle over to the island for a day or 2 and do Mt Washington (couple days there of DH and single track) or work out to Sooke if you've got a car. There's some good stuff in Sooke (Harbourview, Broome Hill), unfortunately not tourist friendly i.e. no trail signs, guidebooks, etc but the locals (although not numerous and crowding the trails) are all pretty friendly.

http://www.sooketrails.com/
  11. Van Isle

Van Isle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    google the local sights, get a guide book, ride Whistler. There is tonnes to do there, worth many days for all kinds of riding. Shuttle over to the island for a day or 2 and do Mt Washington (couple days there of DH and single track) or work out to Sooke if you've got a car. There's some good stuff in Sooke (Harbourview, Broome Hill), unfortunately not tourist friendly i.e. no trail signs, guidebooks, etc but the locals (although not numerous and crowding the trails) are all pretty friendly.

http://www.sooketrails.com/
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to do Whistler!!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  13. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys this is really getting my son and I excited. Based on all there is to do in the area, we are going to come up for about 7-8 days now. I think we'll stay the first 3-4 days on the North Shore and check out that area, including downtown Vancouver, the Capilano Bridge and the North Shore trails then spend 3-4 days at Whistler. We want to do the Ropes Course at Whistler and the Jet Boat ride/tour which looks like fun, plus all the mountain biking at Whistler; downhill, stunts, the trails. It all looks great.

Can't wait, we'll be up the week of July 3rd.

Thanks again guys.
  14. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    If you want to get away from the tourist traps, try the Chilliwack area. Vedder Mtn and Chipmunk Creek have loads of scary bridges and ramps built.

Closer into Vancouver is McNutt which is really slow speed and technical on a motorcycle but probably wide open to the nut cases who ride bikes:clap

Go to www.dualsportbc.com and some of the guys and gals can help you out with info. Don't be shy, just post the question.

There's a crazy stair case the guys from the GVMC are building right now around a boulder the size of a warehouse for one of the off road runs. They had to drill into the side of the monstrosity and have hoisted up aluminum ramps for these crazies. I might work 1 of the checkpoints just to get some good pictures. We were up there yesterday in the wife's vehicle and she freaked out because a black bear stopped and looked at us:clap City Girl, thru and thru:rofl
  15. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Guys-
    Thanks for all the input, I've now got a pretty good plan put together. Last question. The only thing I need is a place to stay in North Vancouver. It seems to be either Holiday Inn style or B&B. Anybody have a favorite (favourite for you guys) or unusual place in mind?
  16. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Its not a real big deal as we'll only be there two nights before heading for Whistler, but the Holiday Inn stuff looked too sterile and the B&Bs maybe too romantic for my son and me. Just looking for a cool place to use as base camp for a few days while we check out things on our bikes. Walking/riding our bikes to restaurants is a plus. View of the City would be nice. I'm kind of leaning toward the Lonsdale Quay hotel which sits on the top two floors above the shopping center just because it seems different and on the water so we can check out the views/ships/whatever.
  17. vanmixman

vanmixman n00b

Oddometer:
    Try this site. They can fill you in on all you want to know about mountain biking on the north shore. http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/

Vanmixman
  18. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I think I've got a pretty good trip outlined. This site is amazing, short of dating and medical advice, I think you can get some damn good help here on just about any topic.

Thanks again.
  19. Gregg Wannabe

Oddometer:
    My son and I had a great time. Couple of days in North Vancouver, did all the tourist stuff, Capilano Bridge, Stanley Park and De Dutch for breakfast.:clap Rode our bikes all over the City but never hit the trails in North Van. Next time I guess. We then went to Whistler for 5 days. Weather was super, downhilling was a blast. Just a real big time. I loved it all and you Canadians really are nice, helpful people.

Thanks everyone for your input.